• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Fox Farm Ocean forest soil. Anyone?

I searched and seems only IMGG is the only one. I found it locally, SUPER CHEAP 12 bucks a bag. so I'm going to get my buckets ( 5 gallons ) and soil ready for the winter.

Should 5 gallons be enough for peppers and maybe cherry tomatoes?

If I get the soil now ( super sale they are having ) would the soil still be good for use around 4-5 mths?

thanks!

I have never used it but from what I read, the ocean floor soil is great...it is cost prohibitive for me since I have so many containers.

A 5 gallon bucket should do great for first year plants...second year plants that are overwintered will need a larger container IMO.

Hey, I think I can actually get that! I googled "Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil", found the company's web site, and checked their distributors. Looks like a new hydroponics store has opened out near one of the malls. I'll have to give them a call and see.

I sent a response to your pm, dude. Also, 5 Gallons may be a bit small for Tomatoes. I find they like deep and wide soil to be really happy in.

Pam said:
Looks like a new hydroponics store has opened out near one of the malls. I'll have to give them a call and see.

That's where I get my soil from too. Speaking of which, I have to pick some up in about two weeks. Time to start my peppers!

Has anybody else noticed that most local plant centers have closed their doors. Our local hydro shop is no longer.:( I am going to have to look a lot harder for supplies and soil this year. Never tried the Happy Frog but the Ocean Forest is one of the best.

Ya tomatoes won't grow well in 5 gallon containers unless they are a determinate or compact types and then I'd suggest redrobin, micro-tom, or tinyTim

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Has anybody else noticed that most local plant centers have closed their doors. Our local hydro shop is no longer.:( I am going to have to look a lot harder for supplies and soil this year. Never tried the Happy Frog but the Ocean Forest is one of the best.
Not just plant centers... :(

Im looking to grow cherry tomatoes ( I think they are called.) I dont know much about them but I like the ones that are about the size of a cherry and they are sweet tasting.

Any small breeds that can be grown in 5 gals? I could always just dig up some yard and make a small garden for them. Whats the best soil to put down for the tomatoes?

MrOneEyedBoh said:
Im looking to grow cherry tomatoes ( I think they are called.) I dont know much about them but I like the ones that are about the size of a cherry and they are sweet tasting.

Any small breeds that can be grown in 5 gals? I could always just dig up some yard and make a small garden for them. Whats the best soil to put down for the tomatoes?

Supersweet 100 cherry tomato grown in a 2 or 3 gallon pot in coco coir. Cherry tomatoes are indeterminate and will get BIG. This one eventually took over the whole balcony. Make sure you have room.

2986480687_11c1e3f3be.jpg

MrOneEyedBoh said:
yeah it will be in the backyard.

I guess I cna get that strain locally already grown?

Most likely. I picked up the seedling at lowes or home depot i think, possibly a nursery. Tomatoes are a good choice, they're vines and grow like weeds. Those supersweet 100s were delicious too, producing literally hundreds of those tiny tomatoes every few days.

MrOneEyedBoh said:
Cool, I'll be running peppers and maybe two of these plants... But sounds like I'll onyl need one!

Haha, that year i was growing like 10ish pepper plants and my mom asked me to grow here a tomato plant......figured one plant wouldn't take up too much room....:shocked:

Oh well, i learned 1st hand the difference between indeterminate and determinate :lol:

haha.

I think It should be fun ( and HOPEFULLY ) I can get these plants to all live until the end of the growing season.

Is there a website that says or recommends when I should put the plants outside from their indoor grow cab?

Best tasting cherry tomato that I have eaten was Sungold. People that came over my house and ate them said they were like eating M&M's. My plant this year was about 10' tall.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
Best tasting cherry tomato that I have eaten was Sungold. People that came over my house and ate them said they were like eating M&M's. My plant this year was about 10' tall.

Dale

I'll have to give that variety a shot. I love cherry tomatoes. I'll have to look around the nurseries cause i don't have any room for tomato starting this year.

Back