• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Fox Farm Ocean forest soil. Anyone?

I hate Cherry Tomatoes! Not the taste, they are great. But once you grow those things, you never have to buy seeds or plants again. They keep coming back and coming back and coming back. I still had plants this year - four years after I last grew one.

Nevertheless, I ordered two packets of Riesentraube seeds. Suppose to be an extremely prolific producer.

Mike

MrOneEyedBoh said:
Any small breeds that can be grown in 5 gals? I could always just dig up some yard and make a small garden for them. Whats the best soil to put down for the tomatoes?

As I said above, I would recommend a determinate or more compact variety of cherry tomato like the redrobin, microtom, or tinytim unless you have a bigger/deeper container or decide to grow in the ground. If you want a huge plant go with a determinate type, most will grow huge even in terrible conditions but they'd need bigger pots and lots of support. I definitely recommend sungold, its by far the tasties cherry tom I've ever tried.
Also, tomatoes love calcium and this will help against blossom end rot.

Here's a tiny tim which is actually only growing in a 5 gallon or smaller container
3191918269_a4c13042a8.jpg

and here's a redrobin in a very small container
876222242_34c1d0e9b5.jpg

Edit: I bought some Riesentraube seeds this year too. They are actually ones my dad wanted and are known for not splitting in damp weather.

MrOneEyedBoh said:
Seems the tiny tim is a bit bigger right?

And I want something I can grow in a 5 gal bucket.

The tinytim in the pic is growing in a 5 gallon container and had thousands of fruit. The big container is only for support in this case.

no no haha. I mean the size of the fruit. are they a bit bigger than the cherry tomatoes or is it just a "smaller" container variation?

POTAWIE said:
They are about the same size fruit, but the redrobins are very compact and well suited to containers

I didn't find them to have much taste, though. you? Maybe it was just by comparison, it's hard to compete with the sweetness of the currant tomatoes, or maybe they don't like our southern heat, but I was disappointed in them.

I'm actually not a big cherry tomato eater but everyone I know liked the redrobin but not even comparable to the sungold, which I even love.

Derek, how do you apply your calcium to your tomatoes? I had a few varieties that had BER really bad this year.

Pam said:
I didn't find them to have much taste, though. you? Maybe it was just by comparison, it's hard to compete with the sweetness of the currant tomatoes, or maybe they don't like our southern heat, but I was disappointed in them.

Pam, are all the currant varieties known to be very sweet/ i got a white currant in a trade, have yougrown it before?

Dale

I have hard water with lots of calcium but I often use tomato food with extra calcium and add eggshells to my compost. Oyster shells+ are supposed to be good too if you eat a lot of seafood

I just bought a bottle of "MagiCal" hydro nutes and added a tbsp to my watering container when watering my container tomatoes last year.

Made a HUGE and IMMEDIATE difference. All my fruit was fine after that.

Oh but my cherry type tomatoes grown in containers never needed it. I dunno why. And the sungold are an amazing variety that even non tomato eaters love. Heck, I had my niece's and nephew over and they've never even seen a tomato and they loved the sungolds (hated the other tomatoes).

thepodpiper said:
Pam, are all the currant varieties known to be very sweet/ i got a white currant in a trade, have yougrown it before?

Dale

I've grown yellow and red for years and they're both sweet, the yellow is the one that comes up in my yard on its own, now. I was also given seeds for one that was supposed to be a Galapagos current tomato, and it was sweet; but it didn't do well, and the few tomatoes it produced were larger than most current tomatoes.

I use fox farm mixed with the happy frog humic acid and microhizal poting mix and mix it 50/50 its the 2 top selling soils at my closest hydro store so I figured theyd be a safe bet

Fox Farms Ocean Forest is my go-to for pre-mix. Only $10 for a big bag, why not?

For seed sprouting i'll mix in a percentage of coco-choir, extra perlite and azomite. But for bigger plants i'll amend it with a whole bunch of other stuff.

MrOneEyedBoh said:
I searched and seems only IMGG is the only one. I found it locally, SUPER CHEAP 12 bucks a bag. so I'm going to get my buckets ( 5 gallons ) and soil ready for the winter.

Should 5 gallons be enough for peppers and maybe cherry tomatoes?

If I get the soil now ( super sale they are having ) would the soil still be good for use around 4-5 mths?

thanks!
was it a local hardware store? where at?

Back