• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Frank's hot sauce

Did you order that from Oz or have you found a Canadian connection selling it?

I feel that way about Tabasco... the oakiness is a bit overbearing for me. Whichever way of the crappy but popular hot-sauce divide you stand, I think most people can agree that better things exist. I'm drinking a Yellow 7 Turkey Slap caesar right now and it's killer.

Tabasco is great for cooking a steak in for a few hours, the steak comes out amazing, and not too sweet or sour.

Try it - believe me. Just make sure you use a few tablespoons, reapply if nessisary when turning steak.

It's awesome!!

I suppose it's time to come out of the closet...I Like Tabasco!

There I said it! Finally free of the burden of hiding it all these years!

Seriously though, not sure why the hate on Tabasco all the time, but if you don't like vinegar based sauces, then you will not like Tabasco or any other vinegar based sauce. I personally love vinegar, but that probably has something to do with the way we eat pork barbecue here in central North Carolina...with a vinegar based dip. I pretty much love anything that can be pickled, and sometimes I take a quick shot of apple cider vinegar in the evening just because I love the taste and tangy flavor.

As an earlier poster said, all sauces have their time and place, and there will always be a bottle of Tabasco in my fridge - and oh MAN do I love their chipotle sauce...

ck

eeew.. nooooooo not mass quantities of Franks, that stuff is available EVERYWHERE.... what I meant was the reference to the Yellow-7 Turkey slap that was added to the Caesar by finitejest

As a side note... I've heard some people who love to make a lot of hot wings get those 4L (gallon) jugs of Marie Sharp's Beware and cut it 50/50 (or whatever ratio they like) with one of the Frank's Red Hots/extra hot etc... and apparently it is quite good

About the only thing I use Franks on these days is hot wings(it seems to be made for wings).. but I only use it as a base mixed with other things.... it saves me adding more vinegar to the mix and works out ok.... but I just can't use it in any other way now that I have access to much much better sauces.

I think the hate comes from the overly weak heat level and the watery vinegary taste plus here is is as expensive as all the other supermarket "hot" sauces but it comes in a tiny bottle for the same price...

I don't think it is horrible but it is a last resort for me... I much prefer other sauces...but I guess it does have its uses

I suppose it's time to come out of the closet...I Like Tabasco!

There I said it! Finally free of the burden of hiding it all these years!

Seriously though, not sure why the hate on Tabasco all the time, but if you don't like vinegar based sauces, then you will not like Tabasco or any other vinegar based sauce. I personally love vinegar, but that probably has something to do with the way we eat pork barbecue here in central North Carolina...with a vinegar based dip. I pretty much love anything that can be pickled, and sometimes I take a quick shot of apple cider vinegar in the evening just because I love the taste and tangy flavor.

As an earlier poster said, all sauces have their time and place, and there will always be a bottle of Tabasco in my fridge - and oh MAN do I love their chipotle sauce...

ck

This is interesting...I use both Tabasco and Franks from time to time when I want the vinegar flavor in whatever I'm cooking/eating, but of the two... I like Franks better.
First because it seems to have a little less vinegar bite, but mostly because I think that unique flavor achieved by the aging/fermentation process for making both Tabasco and Franks,comes through more distinctly.
Some taste buds(the ones I was issued) like the "sourness" that results from a fermented pepper mash...others(like my Missus)find it repulsive and distasteful.(kinda like why some folks love broccoli, and others find it bitter)
I can't even add some fermented sauce to a recipe and sneak it past her.
Just guessing...but its possible "that" could be the "funky" taste you can't stand...
If you have ever tasted any authentic Kim Chi....there's similar "sourness" in the flavor.

dont know or if its the spices they use. I could of swore I've had other fermented chiles in other hot sauces & didnt have the funky flavor like I taste in franks.

For some reason I love Tobasco on biscuits and gravy. Ive tried other sauces and just can't find one that matches as well as Tobasco.

I agree theres something about louisiana style hot sauces that goes great with breakfast food. not saying its always tabasco but louisana style.

there will always be a bottle of Tabasco in my fridge - and oh MAN do I love their chipotle sauce...

ck

I do like tabasco chipotle & their hab sauce, IMO those are the best in their lineup.

Frank's is the original Buffalo wing sauce, Anchor Bar, Buffalo, NY. They were the first to do the butter/sauce combo and make wings. This is still a good wing sauce recipe, a good wing is tangy from the vinegar.

Try some Frank's wings if you want to try the original Buffalo wings. It's a decent gateway sauce, especially when used this way.

God bless you Dan.

Franks wings rock. Buttery/tangy heaven!!

I love Texas Pete as a base for wing sauce. Honestly though it is not all that different from Crystal or Franks. Any of them are good for a good wing sauce. Hell, Frank's is the original sauce from when the Anchor Bar started Buffalo wings. For me it is a great starting point, then I add stuff to make it my own. Of course, there are many that have made a commercial wing sauce now that are pretty good, but if you want to make your own Frank's is a great starting point.

Heard alot of good things about it, so I orderded a 3.8 liter bottle from ebay.

This is nasty, tastes so sour.. Why do people like this so much? And why did I buy 3.8 liter LOL.

I like it, but it is very mild. It's a buffalo type sauce not intended for use on bland foods. I like it for use in wing sauce, on leftover pizza, or on tacos. I also normally enjoy mixing it with Sriracha to give it a little more kick, but again Sriracha isn't all that hot either.

I've heard some people mix it 50/50 with Marie Sharp's BEWARE and use it for their hot-wing sauce... while it would still be vinegarry because of franks, it isn't as bad and the Marie Sharp's BEWARE adds a bit more heat as well as some good flavour to it...

Might be worth a shot on some of that franks stuff... but I wouldn't want to ruin a whole thing of Marie Sharps by mixing all of it though

I like it, but it is very mild. It's a buffalo type sauce not intended for use on bland foods. I like it for use in wing sauce, on leftover pizza, or on tacos. I also normally enjoy mixing it with Sriracha to give it a little more kick, but again Sriracha isn't all that hot either.

Friends, Romans, chileheads, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Frank's, not to praise it;
The evil that weak hot sauces do lives after them,
The good is oft interréd with their empty bottles,
So let it be with Frank's…. The noble Brutus
Hath told you Frank's was not hot:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Frank's answered it….
Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest,
(For Brutus is an honourable man;
So are they all; all honourable men)
Come I to speak in Frank's funeral….
Frank's was my first hot sauce, faithful and tasty to me:
But Brutus says Frank's was a weak sauce;
And Brutus is an honourable man….
He hath brought many Jolokia sauces home to Rome,
Whose taste did satisfy all:
Did this in Frank's seem ambitious?
When that the poor have needed hot sauce, Frank's hath been there:
Weak sauce should be made of weaker stuff:
Yet Brutus says Frank's was weak;
And Brutus is an honourable man.
You all did see that at various fiery foods shows
I thrice presented Frank's a kingly crown,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this weak sauce?
Yet Brutus says he was not hot at all;
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Brutus spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love Frank's once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then to mourn for Frank's?
O judgement! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their capsaicin receptors…. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Frank's,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

-------Marc Antony, Guerilla Chef

Frank's is the original Buffalo wing sauce, Anchor Bar, Buffalo, NY. They were the first to do the butter/sauce combo and make wings. This is still a good wing sauce recipe, a good wing is tangy from the vinegar.

Try some Frank's wings if you want to try the original Buffalo wings. It's a decent gateway sauce, especially when used this way.
Zackly. Ain't no chilehead sauce but one for the masses. It's not all that bad for a no heat sauce.

Back