• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fried Chicken

Couldn't find a fried chicken thread here, so why not make one! Anyway, occasionally KFC here sells a delicacy called "Hot n Spicy", ever since I was a child I was infatuated with it. But the bastards only sell it for a month every year, and sometimes they skip years. 

I have no choice but to replicate this Hot n Spicy, because it is one of the reasons I keep myself alive today. I was dumb when buying the chicken, I bought the drumsticks, wings and thighs seperately, and spent like $15 all up, when all I had to do is buy 3x "Chicken Maryland", which is the drumstick and thigh in one piece, plus a couple of wings, it would've come to like $7 total. Herp de Derp

So here it is. Verdict... the skin was delightfully crispy, and the chicken, holy crap the juices actually ran down my fingers! But need to ramp up the spices, especially the heat! 

Ofcourse, I bought the coleslaw from an actual KFC, after all, the KFC experience is NOT complete without that coleslaw :D

Marinated chicken ready to be KFC'd
hs4_zps379d88ba.jpg

hs5_zps96d408da.jpg

hs6_zps2b95163f.jpg

hs1_zps8a568b09.jpg

hs3_zpsd4dc3736.jpg

hs2_zps521a6c79.jpg

It was a tad weak on the spices, so I doubled the spice mix in the flour, plus I added a crap-ton of Tabasco sauce and chilli flakes to the brine for the next batch. Can't wait till tomorrow night! 

Had some pizza sauce and grated cheese on hand the other night so did this.
20150126_213249_zpsmex7u2li.jpg

Going to make some Hot n Spicy tonight. This time, it WILL be hot. Chicken pieces are marinating in cayenne pepper, fresh chilli, hot sauce, S+P and Olive oil. Wanted to do the whole buttermilk thing but forgot to buy the buttermilk so will try it this way. Let the bastards just absorb all that heat. Also put about 500 times more Cayenne pepper and chilli powder into the flour mix than most recipes recommend. Nah, I heaped on all the seasonings like there's no tomorrow. These will be triple floured and bathed in the deep fryer. Then I'm goign to fry up some fries after the chicken and season those in chicken salt. 

20150129_120659_zpsekr8foqb.jpg

20150129_120603_zps9bmowi3n.jpg

LUCKYDOG said:
LOL @ HK what went wrong? 

The skin ended up being a flimsy useless crock of shit that fell off at the slightest touch (despite being triple floured and rested for 20 mins to "adhere" the flour to the skin), it was overbrowned and tasted very ordinary. The meat was tough as shit and just looked like it came off some alien creature. Hardly any heat either.The oil was dripping off my arms as I held the goddamn thing and after eating 2 pieces of this crap I felt like I just drank the entire deep fryer tub of oil. The fries turned out good though... 

The day started off like shit as soon as I entered the supermarket in the morning ...... should've payed attention to fate and pull the plug on the whole thing and get a goddamn burger from Hungry Jacks or KFC or sum shit. 

My double floured job in the simple fry pan was vastly superior and actually had good flavour and the meat was white and juicy. 

There are people in the house that may potentially take the leftovers to work tomorrow. I left them a warning. 

20150130_010132_zpshiavaixe.jpg

:rofl:  :rofl: That too funny and too bad at the same time. Great posts HK - I hate when I am trully meaning to hurt myself with something new and excited about that ends up being a viable "fertilizer" (maybe).

mad that david chang ramen fried chicken tonight. My wok wasn't deep enough though, but turned out pretty good. Had some issues with the coating falling off a little
Fried.jpeg

You beat me to it.

As I watched through both season's of Mind of a Chef, learned of Benton's (again) and then I ordered:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423275911.545108.jpg

And I was going there ... well, am going there!

Cheers!

PS - S02EP14 or 15 is w/ Marcella Hazan, who's son is Giuliano Hazan, who has been my landlord for the past ten years - and the reason why our modest house (no dining room) has a spacious kitchen ;)

Good tip - when I made tempura w/ a bunch of JHP powder and gochugaru (?sp, iPad) recently it wasn't even detectable ...

Assuming it's the harsh and relentless heat of frying ... actually, it's probably an oil (pepper's) getting evenly dispersed in a lot of oil thing, actually ...

I don't know, but I bet chopped scorpion would come through - too bad I couldn't source any!

Tasty though?

That soups are fantastic!!! I brought from the chinese town always when I go to the big city. Im addict those soups .

The ones here are imported from China. This are made in USA?

I think I have the same in my cupboard.... If do not have, I know because that's one of my favorites... it Is very spicy flavor

grantmichaels said:
Good tip - when I made tempura w/ a bunch of JHP powder and gochugaru (?sp, iPad) recently it wasn't even detectable ...

Assuming it's the harsh and relentless heat of frying ... actually, it's probably an oil (pepper's) getting evenly dispersed in a lot of oil thing, actually ...

I don't know, but I bet chopped scorpion would come through - too bad I couldn't source any!

Tasty though?
Powder works awesome in a saute and when you want it on fried, dust it after it comes out for the most part. You are right, the oil steals it away. I do add it to my brine before the breading stage in some things like chicken and it works. 

Holy ish! You are the man!

I lost a lot of other battleground cabinets of late, but I still have my own shelf of powder #bethrothed #smallvictories ...

I imagine you are the only person who knows them better ...

Back