• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking frog legs

anyone ever done frog legs on the grill? i've made them deep fried, but would assume they would be great off the grill. i was thinking just like a fish rub or such to put on them and very quick on the grill.

Back when I was a kid, many... many... many years ago, lots of people in Ripley went gigging as well as fishing and would bring their catches up to the Legion Post in late June, early July. The grills would be full of frog legs, catfish, carp and some bass, while Uncle Louie manned the deep fryer in the kitchen fixing fries.

Finding jumbo frog legs in the big city is almost as hard as buying a winning lottery ticket, but the ones I get I have deep fried, pan fried and cooked in the oven. If I was to grill them, I would probably use something like a Canola Oil spray and then cover them with a rub or better yet, soak them in a marinade then grill them.

Mike

I'm thinking buffalo wing style, since they resemble a chicken wing. How about grill 'em up, and toss them in wing sauce. Use that rub too, and some lemon.

they are real lean and cook fast... i have poached them in a lemon butter sauce or a garlic butter sauce...

maybe marinate them and quickly grill them like you would a chicken breast..fast and high heat

thehotpepper.com said:
I'm thinking buffalo wing style, since they resemble a chicken wing. How about grill 'em up, and toss them in wing sauce. Use that rub too, and some lemon.

i bet they would be good like this. throw them in some wing some when done....hummmmmm

thehotpepper.com said:

Frog wings!! Ribbet baby!

Cheers, TB.

I havn't had them for a long time but you can never go wrong with Kentucky fried Frog. throw in some smoked hab powder to the coating mix .. :) I would definitly try them off the grill but not sure how to go about it..

planked on some sugarmaple shakes/boards might be real good. or even cherrywood if you can get it.

Back