• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ga GH's 2014 - The beginning

So it's official.

13866529297480.jpg

The 2014 season has just begun.

I planted the first six, on the right, 7 days ago. The second six a few days later.
13866529539951.jpg

First up is c. pubescen Canario.

More details later.

maximumcapsicum said:

Awesome Ga GH! 

Did you do any kind of treatment before placing them in the pellets?
I do mess with them a bit. Here is what i do.
I soak them until they won't absorb any more water. Let them sit out overnight. The next day I roll them between my finders to break them up. They can still be packed and hard in the middle or down low even after soaking and expanding. I like them broken up like a little bag on dirt. Seem to make the peat more airy too. Once good and broke up, I kind pack them back to there original shape, trying not really pack them. Loser the better. Next I take a pointy object, used the back of small paint brush on these, and poke/spread a hole for the seed. I go about 3/8" or .5" deep. Drop seed (or seeds, I usually do 3 or four per pellet and seperate after the first true leaves are going) in the hole I made, pushing in down with the paint brush stick, so it sits flat (horizontal like it would lay on a table). Scrap a bit of peat over to cover the holes. I lightly press the top surface flat. After that I hit them with a spray bottle. A few good sprays. Then spray again in the morning and night until they hook. I think laying seed horizontal helps prevent getting seeds helmets.
Temps are the main thing to worry about at that point. I have them on the top shelve, that is kinda closed off, with a HO T5 running on the shelf below. It gives off a good bit of heat. So they stay around 78 to 85°F, depending if the spare bedroom down is opened or closed. I don't have to cover or use a heat mat with the way it works out, which is nice. Otherwise I would have them on the heat mat and covered by something to keep the heat in.
anyway... I ramble on... That's what I do with pellets. I never use that hole that's already there.
Good luck Maximumcap!
Sawyer said:
Good move on starting the pubescens early, Jason.  And the Pimenta de Neyde, too; I was surprised how slow-growing that one was for me last year.  I need follow suit soon on getting some of these going.
That's good to know about the Neyde. I though I should get on the others in hope of earlier pod set, that one just called out to me to start. :D
Get on it John!
Pinoy83 said:
happy growing this coming season :dance:  :dance:  :dance: ....you guys manzanos and rocotos germs so fast never had luck with them... :tear:
My first time trying. I didn't expect them to pop this fast. I think you just need different seeds. Don't give up on trying. I will send you some seeds from pods that i let completely mature if i can get them to pod up. Just remind me.
They may really love the sun on the islands there. Happy growing too!
Bodeen said:
They are looking awesome.  Makes me want to jump on some more of my longer peppers now too.  

Might be a weekend project :)
No better time than now!
Thanks Jeff. Smooth sailing so far.
Devv said:
Just fantastic germ rate on the pubes!

I'm 1 for 26 here so far...what's the deal?
Must be the seeds you have. These have popped just like any other type for me. I always have seen some people have issues and other do fine. When I was planting these I was thinking how it's practically impossible to tell if the seeds are bad. You can't spot a dead embryo when the seeds are black.
At least you have one. Let me know if you would like to try a few of these, and I can send you seeds/pods once (if) they produce.

GA Growhead said:
Thank you Paul! I wanted to have a selection for taste and to see what does best in my climate. First time growing any pubescens, so hoping they do well.
I found that my Orange Rocotos likes a fair amount of
dappled shade, even in our PNW climate.
TY for the detailed description an using the pellets, Jason!

GA Growhead said:
I do mess with them a bit. Here is what i do.
I soak them until they won't absorb any more water. Let them sit out overnight. The next day I roll them between my finders to break them up. They can still be packed and hard in the middle or down low even after soaking and expanding. I like them broken up like a little bag on dirt. Seem to make the peat more airy too. Once good and broke up, I kind pack them back to there original shape, trying not really pack them. Loser the better. Next I take a pointy object, used the back of small paint brush on these, and poke/spread a hole for the seed. I go about 3/8" or .5" deep. Drop seed (or seeds, I usually do 3 or four per pellet and seperate after the first true leaves are going) in the hole I made, pushing in down with the paint brush stick, so it sits flat (horizontal like it would lay on a table). Scrap a bit of peat over to cover the holes. I lightly press the top surface flat. After that I hit them with a spray bottle. A few good sprays. Then spray again in the morning and night until they hook. I think laying seed horizontal helps prevent getting seeds helmets.
Temps are the main thing to worry about at that point. I have them on the top shelve, that is kinda closed off, with a HO T5 running on the shelf below. It gives off a good bit of heat. So they stay around 78 to 85°F, depending if the spare bedroom down is opened or closed. I don't have to cover or use a heat mat with the way it works out, which is nice. Otherwise I would have them on the heat mat and covered by something to keep the heat in.
anyway... I ramble on... That's what I do with pellets. I never use that hole that's already there.
Good luck Maximumcap!

Wow! Yeah I tried to grow in peat pellets last year and had mixed results. I don't think I had them broken up enough, and the tough spots inhibited the seeds. Also the true leaves took a very long time to develop... over a month. Maybe they weren't warm enough?

I think this year I am going to soak the seeds and then plant them in seed starting soil, maybe jiffy or an organic brand they have at ACE (my community garden strongly prefers organic everything). Still thinking though, trying to figure out what is easiest/most effective.

Thanks for the info as always!

PaulG said:
I found that my Orange Rocotos likes a fair amount of
dappled shade, even in our PNW climate.

TY for the detailed description an using the pellets, Jason!
I have read about the shading of these pubescens. Thinking grow bag/root pouches so I can move then as needed as the season progress. You know how that sun just won't stay in the same place all year. :)
No problem on the jiffy guide. I really like the ability to freely move as needed. I just think treating like a small self-contained pot with starter soil already added. Different things work better for some but not for others. There are many right ways to do anything. Everyone's situation is different, and we have to find out works best with what we have/use. Sharing knowledge is good as to give another route if one's is failing.
I'm eyeing your seeds in bags right now. I have had success that way before too.:)
maximumcapsicum said:

Wow! Yeah I tried to grow in peat pellets last year and had mixed results. I don't think I had them broken up enough, and the tough spots inhibited the seeds. Also the true leaves took a very long time to develop... over a month. Maybe they weren't warm enough?

I think this year I am going to soak the seeds and then plant them in seed starting soil, maybe jiffy or an organic brand they have at ACE (my community garden strongly prefers organic everything). Still thinking though, trying to figure out what is easiest/most effective.

Thanks for the info as always!
No prob maxcap!
I'm think warmth could have been the issue with yours last season. I had seedlings sitting in a south facing window in Feb/ march two years ago and they poked along at a very slow pace. I ended up putting the humidity dome back on and keep something in the side to leave a crack and they started taking off again. It would condensate once the sun started hitting it so I know that heated them up. Last year was the first with the lights inside for the starts. Hardening off became the new challenge and I burnt a few good.
If you can try a few routes and see what works out the best this season, then do it. The peat pellets and shelving combo ended up being the easiest and most consistent.
I feel you on the organics. My garden plot is completely organically grown. The potted plants get supplemented with some slow release or miracle grow. Haven't got it down enough yet to not have too. But working on it.
Good luck on working this out.
& let me know if you are looking for any seeds in particular. I could help you out with a few if i got'em.

So today I decided to go through the rest if my seeds and get everything I have inventoried into a spread sheet.
First I had to go through this.
13870951254470.jpg

Each folded up paper towel/napkin is from a lunch or dinner. Normally one pod per paper unless I was deseeding before going in the dehydrator or eating multiple of one kind at that meal.
I need to be better next year, cause I found a few without writing. Who know knows what they are.
A downside to this method is the pepper gas bomb syndrome, as I will call it. It seem that opening the paper towels, more so than the napkins, does release small particles into the air. These particles of capsaicin will choke, tear up and just hurt you as you cough and sniffle your way though it. The more placenta with the seeds, the worse. Yes, I got good and gases today. And of course. I also got fingers that burned any other part of my body they touched.
So I made it throught it. Roughly six + hours off and on thought out the day. I have everything recorded digital and can start putting together a germination list soon.
Step one, accomplished.
Let the beginning continue!

GA Growhead said:
No prob maxcap!
I'm think warmth could have been the issue with yours last season. I had seedlings sitting in a south facing window in Feb/ march two years ago and they poked along at a very slow pace. I ended up putting the humidity dome back on and keep something in the side to leave a crack and they started taking off again. It would condensate once the sun started hitting it so I know that heated them up. Last year was the first with the lights inside for the starts. Hardening off became the new challenge and I burnt a few good.
If you can try a few routes and see what works out the best this season, then do it. The peat pellets and shelving combo ended up being the easiest and most consistent.
I feel you on the organics. My garden plot is completely organically grown. The potted plants get supplemented with some slow release or miracle grow. Haven't got it down enough yet to not have too. But working on it.
Good luck on working this out.
& let me know if you are looking for any seeds in particular. I could help you out with a few if i got'em.

My plan this year is to keep the grow mat on the whole time. I was worried about keeping the dome on them because I had some pretty bad fungus on other seedlings (not the peppers, interestingly). The biggest problem was the seedlings basically froze... many never did get their true leaves. When I began hardening them off, the turned very light green and died. Most did anyway. Then some just sprang to life, giving me the plants I have now! Still working out how exactly I am going to set things up this year, looking to start mid-January. 

Wow! That's quite a list of seeds. Do you have a favorite scotch bonnet variety? How about the white hab's? I am hoping to get a couple varieties of habaneros going this year and I'm not sure what's going to work. I have a handful of chiero roxa seeds (purple chinense), though I can't make any promises about their vitality or stability, as it was my first time harvesting seeds and I did not isolate the plants. I could also part with a roxa clone if you're interested. Maybe when the season progresses I'll have some seedlings I can send your way... I think I have a lot of varieties for the grow space I have available, but I'm still not sure what will work!

Hey, Jason - I especially liked the tip about working the pellet a little
to loosen it up, haven't done that before but will this time.
I'm going to give 30 pellets a try with 15 varieties, 2 cells each.

Good work digitizing your seed list!

maximumcapsicum said:

My plan this year is to keep the grow mat on the whole time. I was worried about keeping the dome on them because I had some pretty bad fungus on other seedlings (not the peppers, interestingly). The biggest problem was the seedlings basically froze... many never did get their true leaves. When I began hardening them off, the turned very light green and died. Most did anyway. Then some just sprang to life, giving me the plants I have now! Still working out how exactly I am going to set things up this year, looking to start mid-January. 

Wow! That's quite a list of seeds. Do you have a favorite scotch bonnet variety? How about the white hab's? I am hoping to get a couple varieties of habaneros going this year and I'm not sure what's going to work. I have a handful of chiero roxa seeds (purple chinense), though I can't make any promises about their vitality or stability, as it was my first time harvesting seeds and I did not isolate the plants. I could also part with a roxa clone if you're interested. Maybe when the season progresses I'll have some seedlings I can send your way... I think I have a lot of varieties for the grow space I have available, but I'm still not sure what will work!
The TFM bonnets (Trenton Farmers Market) were delicious. I did get a few MOA bonnets seeds to try this upcoming season. Looking foward to them. Bahamian goat is another bonnet type that's just delicious. Different flavor. I had Judy's (pepperlover.com) Trin choc bonnet and it was a tasty brown pod for sure.
White habs all turned out great. It was the first year with all of those. The jellybean and Peruvian white habs are the smaller size pods and the plants produced hundreds. The giant white habs were good also. Great flavor too. Jamaican hot chocolates are a goto brown. Good heat and taste. I like red and yellow habs so I can't go wrong with any of those. Just not into the plain orange habs.
I have plenty of saved seeds of all of those, all non-isolated, so they may or may not grow true. I did place all the habs together and all the bonnets together so crosses that do happen to show up would be more similar to there intent. Always try to place the garden so crosses would be wanted crosses by the nearest neighbor. :)
PaulG said:
Hey, Jason - I especially liked the tip about working the pellet a little
to loosen it up, haven't done that before but will this time.
I'm going to give 30 pellets a try with 15 varieties, 2 cells each.

Good work digitizing your seed list!
I hope that works out better for you Paul.
Now you got me curious on what your starting. Be eyeing your glog to find out!

Jason, and Scott, I to love the Manzano's but the best I have ever done here was germed in early January put out in March, great looking in ground plant (mostly full Sun) until June.  I dug it up and put in a large pot moved to shade.  3 pods made in October/ November and ripened up January next season.

My thoughts were that it might do better with an early start.  I've been lazily trying to germ from store bought pods the last few weeks.  I got one to pop but had a serious seed hat clamp down lock up Alcatraz thing going on.  Gave up on it curseing myself for not presoaking.  I use to, everything.  I've got some attempts going but agree with Jason, it's just the seeds and my lack of proper try.  I got some interesting pubes comping from Spain soon.  I recommend any and all to use that sentence whenever. ;)

At least you got one Scott, and nice early juvinile life ahead of it!  I know, in your care, and soil, it'll be amazing!

Jason, My papertowel stash is stacked neatly, but it's every where in the house and from multiple seasons.  I did manage to get all of 2013 into one cigar box (mahogany with faint odor of cigars and heavy chinense heaven)  in ziplocs.  Quite the accomplishment for me.

Best of luck this season Jason!

Mike

capsidadburn said:
Jason, and Scott, I to love the Manzano's but the best I have ever done here was germed in early January put out in March, great looking in ground plant (mostly full Sun) until June.  I dug it up and put in a large pot moved to shade.  3 pods made in October/ November and ripened up January next season.

My thoughts were that it might do better with an early start.  I've been lazily trying to germ from store bought pods the last few weeks.  I got one to pop but had a serious seed hat clamp down lock up Alcatraz thing going on.  Gave up on it curseing myself for not presoaking.  I use to, everything.  I've got some attempts going but agree with Jason, it's just the seeds and my lack of proper try.  I got some interesting pubes comping from Spain soon.  I recommend any and all to use that sentence whenever. ;)

At least you got one Scott, and nice early juvinile life ahead of it!  I know, in your care, and soil, it'll be amazing!

Jason, My papertowel stash is stacked neatly, but it's every where in the house and from multiple seasons.  I did manage to get all of 2013 into one cigar box (mahogany with faint odor of cigars and heavy chinense heaven)  in ziplocs.  Quite the accomplishment for me.

Best of luck this season Jason!

Mike
Thanks Mike. Most of mine came from peter also and germinate like the best, so you should be good too. I started them first for the very reason you explained. Hoping to get pods in 2014! If not overwinter and try again. Keeping thinking about the pubescens natural climate band how best to replicate. Trying to get them big enough to put in and out in early spring when warm enough and then keep from cooking during the hot months. Usually late June to September is brutal heat, so before and after maybe I can get some pods to set.
I fell you. I went through twice that months ago, be really need to go throw those seeds. I'm finding I didn't keep seeds of everything like I wanted, but moving on. It is a huge accomplishment so if got 2013 done you did good. I let mine pile up on top of a self, and the dry well there. Now in baggies in a shoe box.
Cigar box is way cooler though!
Best of luck too Mike!

GA Growhead said:
The TFM bonnets (Trenton Farmers Market) were delicious. I did get a few MOA bonnets seeds to try this upcoming season. Looking foward to them. Bahamian goat is another bonnet type that's just delicious. Different flavor. I had Judy's (pepperlover.com) Trin choc bonnet and it was a tasty brown pod for sure.
White habs all turned out great. It was the first year with all of those. The jellybean and Peruvian white habs are the smaller size pods and the plants produced hundreds. The giant white habs were good also. Great flavor too. Jamaican hot chocolates are a goto brown. Good heat and taste. I like red and yellow habs so I can't go wrong with any of those. Just not into the plain orange habs.

Yeah man we should do a little swap sometime soon. I can send a handful of these chiero roxas your way (if you're interested) for your top recommended bonnets or habs. I can also send you a clone of one of the chiero roxa's if you'd rather have that... would be true for sure. Let me know! I won't be starting anything until mid January so no telling what will germ.

maximumcapsicum said:

Yeah man we should do a little swap sometime soon. I can send a handful of these chiero roxas your way (if you're interested) for your top recommended bonnets or habs. I can also send you a clone of one of the chiero roxa's if you'd rather have that... would be true for sure. Let me know! I won't be starting anything until mid January so no telling what will germ.
I will gladly take you up on that offer. I almost bought chiero roxa but went with cgn 21500, which is similar in color. So would be cool to compare after all.

Excellent job getting your Pubes going Jason! I was able to get some of my Manzano seeds to sprout this time around, but nothing like your percentages. You ought to do a thread on that for the Boss to pin.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out here... good luck in 2014!

I followed your pellet advice, Jason.  
Seeds going in today!I posted a pic of the
worked over Jiffy pellets here
How does that look?

I tamped the soil doen gently and then gave each plug three
sprays with the water bottle so the tips are nicely consolidated.
Now just to wait   :pray:

Your new sprouts are lookin' good, buddy!

PaulG said:
I tamped the soil doen gently and then gave each plug three
sprays with the water bottle so the tips are nicely consolidated.
Now just to wait   :pray:

Your new sprouts are lookin' good, buddy!
Sounds like you've done everything as I would have. I'm guessing you have a hook on Xmas day if not before!
Thanks Paul! Only one spot left ungerminated.

Back