• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ga GH's 2014 - The beginning

So it's official.

13866529297480.jpg

The 2014 season has just begun.

I planted the first six, on the right, 7 days ago. The second six a few days later.
13866529539951.jpg

First up is c. pubescen Canario.

More details later.

Jeff H said:
Pics are really good. What camera?
Camera phone. Nexus 5. Thanks Jeff. I take many to try and get the perfect shot. I don't always get a good shot.
jedisushi06 said:
nice pods and pics!
Thanks Mikey!

maximumcapsicum said:
Lovin the reaper cross. Was the brown bhutlah a good kind of bitter or bad kind of bitter? Pungent-ish?
You will get to try one before long. And Fire! The SLP bhutlah was somewhat bitter like some brown are. Not terribly bad, but not as sweet and fruity as the reds that I have had ripen so far. So... Not a bad taste. Still was a good pod for lunch with plenty of heat!
meatfreak said:
Kick ass pods, Jason! Cross sounds like a keeper, the second pod looks very similar to the first one, correct? Have a great weekend!
Thanks Stefan. I'm more interested in plant #2 at the moment, but that plant #1 is definitely a keeper. Plant #2 just started to pod up and I leaning towards the other parent.
Pods were similar in size and texture between the two #1s. The plant is going to be a tree, it's going off!
BlisterdOutPods671 said:
Liking the Reaper Cross and the Brown Bhutlah SLP!!!
It's only going to get better from here on out!

JJJessee said:
Yes the reaper cross continue to awe me. And the photos are top notch.
I have trouble getting the ol iphone to focus are a short range. Is the Nexus a better photohog?
Do you shoot from an certain distance and then crop?
Thanks J³! If I'm doing a close up on a plant, I have to put my hand in the background or it will focus on something in the distance. Close ups focus well inside. Lighting is crucial though. This phone definitely takes better photos than my last. I quite happy with it. It got bad reviews originally for its camera, but was still an upgrade for me. And the latest updates for the camera app have really improved the quality. I rooted and run CyanogenMod11 on it. I have their camera app and Google's app. I use both depending on what I'm shooting.
I did crop the images for those close up.
Resolution is high enough to get in there since I always rez down before uploading. I'm also a graphic artist and color correcting is in my nature. I found a really good image editor for android that is much like Photoshop. Levels and curve adjustments. I will correct an image, color wise, if the focal point is correct. I end up shoot ten or so and choose the best. You got keep on till you get that one good shot.
That was the long answer. ;)

The reaper cross is a beast. It's in a ten gal root pouch, in that orangic mix with all the good amendments! It's going to be huge! My most beautiful plant right now.
Hope you have a great Saturday!

Devv said:
Very nice Jason, really liking that tomato, uh Rocotto ;)
maximumcapsicum said:
Love the update! I would e so tempted to pull that rocoto. Looks delicious.
jedisushi06 said:
Yeah i thought it was a tomato at first!
Jamison said:
You sure that's a Giant Rocoto and not a tomato ;) That thing is huge man!
Thanks guys! It was pretty much all red today. Going to give a week or two more before I sample it. I was surprise when I found it. It was on one of the plants that I didn't think had any pods on it. :)
OCD Chilehead said:
Pics look good. I was wondering about camera as well. Had to do a double take when you said phone. Can't get over the reaper cross. Beautiful pod. Is that some kind of mushroom coming up in the last pic of the volunteers? Thanks for taking the time to share.
Thanks Chuck. They really are phone Picts. I pretty much use the phone exclusive for everything at this point. Barely use the computer anymore.
That was a little shroom action going on. There are many different fungi that pop up around the house. I see those little guys in my raised beds too. Always a good sign!
stc3248 said:
Haha...love the volunteers! That rocoto is a beast too! You seen my favorite volunteer this year yet???
B6Da0SH.jpg

It came up in a crack in the pool deck and is now setting pods...lol. 

Keep them green brotha!
I have seen that volunteer. I was the one that point out to keep an eye on it, cause it had crack problem. :D
It's growing like it's on something!
I am having mixed results with the pubescens. Need to re-pot the troubled ones. They are all setting pods, but about half are unhappy looking. Don't think the soil is draining fast enough for them. And.. More rain over night with crazy stormy heading this way.

I have this labeled as a yellow pixie, but pretty sure it's a daisy cutter orange. I know I mixed up the two early on, caught myself, and thought I fixed them all back to be correct. Guess not.
Neat shape right off the bat!
14023726675650.jpg

White 7 SLP w/ my first squash of the year!
14023727776351.jpg

Ate this pod with my lunch today. PI-441598 x mystery cross F3. Great flavor and hab heat just like last year.
14023728674532.jpg

stc3248 said:
Haha...love the volunteers! That rocoto is a beast too! You seen my favorite volunteer this year yet???
B6Da0SH.jpg

It came up in a crack in the pool deck and is now setting pods...lol. 

Keep them green brotha!
in four seasons of growing peppers I've never gotten a volunteer pepper, I've gotten, tomatoes,squash,herbs, and melons but never peppers...lol! Maybe because I'm so meticulous about picking every single one of my pods off of each plant!

Great update Jason! Yeah I am having drainage issues too... The rain is at just a high enough interval to piss off the annuums, though so far most the chinenses don't seem to care.

Pods are looking good. You got to come up with a new name for that peach-colored cross f3.

Keep growin'.

Cool pods Jason!  The Daisy cutter juvenille is neat.

"Hundreds" of voluteers.  I thought you mean't overwinters coming back at first!  You mean't seeds from dropped pods or like my composted dirt I guess.  I get a lot of those too and I always yank them.  Too much going on to allow them the chance to live.

Have a great day!

Back