• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Genetikx 2018

First time doing a glog but have followed others for years now. I don't expect monster 5' plants being just north of Chicago but I do expect to have a good time in the dirt and to neglect pulling weeds a time or twelve. The goal is grow a ton of peppers for sauce and maybe even get into powders this year.

We're currently rocking a 4' 4 tube hydrofarm T5, which I think is an awesome fluorescent. In the past I've supplemented with regular shop lights in the seedling stage and for overflow but might get another proper T5 soon. First time growing in this new house so hopeful to avoid mites, aphids, and the like. I'll end up throwing some plants in the backyard and then also claim a spot at the community garden.

Best of luck to all the awesome grows here at THP. Hope everyone has a great 2018.

Here's the grow list, subject to change just a little bit

Aji Amarillo
Aji Pineapple (WHP)
Andy's Chocolate Reaper Scorpion (WHP)
Bahamian Goat (AJDrew)
Bahamian Goat (Fiogga)
Bahamian Goat (WM)
Bih Jolokia X Sugar Rush Peach (WHP)
Blue Christmas (D3)
BOC
BOC X Aji Pineapple (WHP)
Brain Strain Yellow (one from my seed stock, one for grow down)
D3 Goat Giant
D3 Goat Yellow #4
El Scorponero #6 (D3)
EOB Mustard (I have just one seed lol, fingers crossed)
Fatalii White (WHP)
Flexosoum (Romy)
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Peach (AJDrew)
Habanero Peach (Paphlady)
Habanero Purple (WHP)
Jalapeno Biker Billy
Jalapeno Zapotec
OBEAH (Bumpy Lobed)
Omni Bonnet (D3)
PDN X Bonda Ma Jacques (PaulG)
Peach Ghost
Peach Ghost SS
Scotch Bonnet Allen Boatman (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet Belize
Scotch Bonnet Chocolate (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Scotch Bonnet MOA (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet P Dreadie Select (mpicante)
Scotch Bonnet P Dreadie Select (Trident)
Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Scotch Brain
Scotch Brain Long X Yellow BBG7 (Trident)

Finally able to plant out at the community garden. Think this is 81 pepper plants and 3 tomatoes. Soil is super primo, added compost to the bottom of each hole. Probably dug way deeper than I needed to but always want to set up the roots for success. Took about 6 hours

dk2JFpe.jpg

Bhuter said:
Wow! Looking amazingly, Ryan! It's so nice and neat! What's the proper etiquette for a community garden? Do ppl just pull what they want from your stuff, or is it just a place to grow and it's all hands off?
Thanks Adam! If anyone pulled anything from someone else's garden, there very well could be gun shots lol. Where I'm at is also a park district so there's also quite a few baseball diamonds, with lots of weekend games. Crazy how many people approach the gardens asking if they can get produce. It's fenced in with a lock but we keep it open when someone is in there gardening. Think I paid $35 for a 24' x 24' plot, the soil is incredible

Genetikx said:
Thanks Adam! If anyone pulled anything from someone else's garden, there very well could be gun shots lol. Where I'm at is also a park district so there's also quite a few baseball diamonds, with lots of weekend games. Crazy how many people approach the gardens asking if they can get produce. It's fenced in with a lock but we keep it open when someone is in there gardening. Think I paid $35 for a 24' x 24' plot, the soil is incredible
Yeah, that's the stance I'd take. I might have some isolations or crosses going on in my plot. I've never used a community garden, but I heard somewhere that ppl can take what they want. Maybe it was just where they were. Lol.
Ugh...people. This isn't a farmer's market. This produce is going home with me. Lol.

Good to hear that you didn't have to dig gigantic holes...just mediocre holes. It really does look great. Good job!

Bhuter said:
Yeah, that's the stance I'd take. I might have some isolations or crosses going on in my plot. I've never used a community garden, but I heard somewhere that ppl can take what they want. Maybe it was just where they were. Lol.
Ugh...people. This isn't a farmer's market. This produce is going home with me. Lol.

Good to hear that you didn't have to dig gigantic holes...just mediocre holes. It really does look great. Good job!
Yea I'll have some minor aches tomorrow for sure. I've never heard of a community garden where people can take what they want... Those are probably the people that should get shot lol. They only call it community because it's offered by the city and anyone in the community can buy a plot. Definitely hands off but easy to make friends and trade stuff.

I got the good quality weed block this year but will put down some straw if weeds start to pop or if the weed block starts to break down. Only 4 bucks a bale so whatever

Genetikx said:
Yea I'll have some minor aches tomorrow for sure. I've never heard of a community garden where people can take what they want... Those are probably the people that should get shot lol. They only call it community because it's offered by the city and anyone in the community can buy a plot. Definitely hands off but easy to make friends and trade stuff.

I got the good quality weed block this year but will put down some straw if weeds start to pop or if the weed block starts to break down. Only 4 bucks a bale so whatever
I didn't know the city charged you for it, either. Not that it's a bad price. I had a heck of a time getting my weed block this year. Usually, I can get rolls of 3' x 100' for around 16 bucks. Not this year. I've become dependent on it and now they're gonna hide it. I only found 3' x 50' rolls for 10 bucks. Supply and demand. We got a bunch of 50 footers. We actually got extra and now have 2 or 3 rolls for next year. Lol. The only problem I have with it falling apart is when cats, squirrels, nuisance animals claw and dig at it. Otherwise, it holds up to my foot traffic all season.

Think mine was 4' x 200' for 45 bucks. Got some leftover for next year but have been stomping all over this stuff and not one tear yet. Hope water soaks thru correctly but looks good so far. Hope to get a cinder going in there for next year :)

Genetikx said:
Think mine was 4' x 200' for 45 bucks. Got some leftover for next year but have been stomping all over this stuff and not one tear yet. Hope water soaks thru correctly but looks good so far. Hope to get a cinder going in there for next year :)
Do you have any Cinder seeds? I can send some your way, if you'd like.

Back