• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Genetikx 2018

First time doing a glog but have followed others for years now. I don't expect monster 5' plants being just north of Chicago but I do expect to have a good time in the dirt and to neglect pulling weeds a time or twelve. The goal is grow a ton of peppers for sauce and maybe even get into powders this year.

We're currently rocking a 4' 4 tube hydrofarm T5, which I think is an awesome fluorescent. In the past I've supplemented with regular shop lights in the seedling stage and for overflow but might get another proper T5 soon. First time growing in this new house so hopeful to avoid mites, aphids, and the like. I'll end up throwing some plants in the backyard and then also claim a spot at the community garden.

Best of luck to all the awesome grows here at THP. Hope everyone has a great 2018.

Here's the grow list, subject to change just a little bit

Aji Amarillo
Aji Pineapple (WHP)
Andy's Chocolate Reaper Scorpion (WHP)
Bahamian Goat (AJDrew)
Bahamian Goat (Fiogga)
Bahamian Goat (WM)
Bih Jolokia X Sugar Rush Peach (WHP)
Blue Christmas (D3)
BOC
BOC X Aji Pineapple (WHP)
Brain Strain Yellow (one from my seed stock, one for grow down)
D3 Goat Giant
D3 Goat Yellow #4
El Scorponero #6 (D3)
EOB Mustard (I have just one seed lol, fingers crossed)
Fatalii White (WHP)
Flexosoum (Romy)
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Peach (AJDrew)
Habanero Peach (Paphlady)
Habanero Purple (WHP)
Jalapeno Biker Billy
Jalapeno Zapotec
OBEAH (Bumpy Lobed)
Omni Bonnet (D3)
PDN X Bonda Ma Jacques (PaulG)
Peach Ghost
Peach Ghost SS
Scotch Bonnet Allen Boatman (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet Belize
Scotch Bonnet Chocolate (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Scotch Bonnet MOA (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet P Dreadie Select (mpicante)
Scotch Bonnet P Dreadie Select (Trident)
Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Scotch Brain
Scotch Brain Long X Yellow BBG7 (Trident)

Wow Ryan!

Some killer plants! Smart move hardening them off slowly.

I'm curious to see how your Zapotec's do, and of course everyone else who's growing them. There's a whole lot of good talk about them going on ;) I have  9 going, so far no heat, but the wife keeps stealing them...LOL  I told her 6 were hers :dance:

D3monic said:
Be careful  with all this wind. I just took the plastic off the greenhouse windows. Looks like we are out of the freeze threat. Tomorrow supposed to be in the 80s  :shocked:  we just went and skipped spring all together apparently. 

Yup, it was really windy this morning but fairly calm now. They spent most of the day out of the sun but getting a little now during sun set. Thankfully no casualties. I am worried about tomorrow, hot and super windy. Might find a shady spot where wind can be blocked, got a couple options. Spring? Nah we get 8 months winter and 4 months of summer smh...crazy year

Devv said:
Wow Ryan!

Some killer plants! Smart move hardening them off slowly.

I'm curious to see how your Zapotec's do, and of course everyone else who's growing them. There's a whole lot of good talk about them going on ;) I have  9 going, so far no heat, but the wife keeps stealing them...LOL  I told her 6 were hers :dance:
Thanks Scott! I probably can't go in ground for 3 weeks, maybe a little less, so no need to rush the harden off. Has only resulted in a couple dumb mistakes in the past.

Ya know, I had some zapotec seeds saved from Stefan aka Meatfreak from a few years ago. Unfortunately only one seed sprouted but it's doing great, think it has 5 pods on it or so. Really looking forward to them.

LB deserves some zaps, she seems to be really good in the garden lolol

I'm pretty certain this is the same guy that was diddling my zapotec flowers yesterday. Today he finds himself in my 1020 tray stuck between 2 pots. He keeps flapping his wings but they keep hitting the pots, so he can't go anywhere. He's been buzzin loudly for about a half hour.

JBAPVmX.jpg

Genetikx said:
Yup, it was really windy this morning but fairly calm now. They spent most of the day out of the sun but getting a little now during sun set. Thankfully no casualties. I am worried about tomorrow, hot and super windy. Might find a shady spot where wind can be blocked, got a couple options. Spring? Nah we get 8 months winter and 4 months of summer smh...crazy year
We now have your wind. Was fairly calm this morning and had my plants out in the sun for an hour from 8:30 to 9:30. They looked like I just put them there. I'm thinking about giving them another hour of sunset sun, but like you say...no need to rush.

Did you set that bumble free? Lol. That's what we have here. Lots of bumblebees. Not too many standard bees. Just the huge loud guys that chase me out of the garden. "I know you're working. I'll leave." Lol

Bhuter said:
We now have your wind. Was fairly calm this morning and had my plants out in the sun for an hour from 8:30 to 9:30. They looked like I just put them there. I'm thinking about giving them another hour of sunset sun, but like you say...no need to rush.

Did you set that bumble free? Lol. That's what we have here. Lots of bumblebees. Not too many standard bees. Just the huge loud guys that chase me out of the garden. "I know you're working. I'll leave." Lol
Gotta admit I smooshed him in between the 2 pots lol. Needed to move the trays in the garage and didn't want him in there. Also didn't want to be the closest human to him after how pissed he was haha.

Actually didn't get too windy here yet today. Think tomorrow is Looking good and then a bunch of rain Thursday

Walchit said:
So how long do you leave them in the sun when You first start hardening off?
Every year is different depending on how cloudy it is or how hot it is. Yesterday we had bright blue skies and i felt the sun was still "weak" this time of year.... So I had them in direct sun from about 9-10am, then maybe 12-2 partial sun. Today was slightly more cloudy, much more hot, they probably got a total of 3 hours sun, 3 hours in the shade...then some got really wilty even tho they're well watered, so I put them back in the garage. No leaf burn yet

Yea, no more basement lights once they go outside. Won't risk bringing bugs in. A rookie mistake is to think those 2 hours a day aren't enough light. I'll tell you this, I threw some plants in my garage beginning of Feb after they looked diseased... About a month later, at least one still green and alive. This is after no light and below 40 degrees full time. So that one white fatali that i gave up on is now getting hardened off lol

I have flexibility to work from home so that helps. Get the laptop on the deck and can keep an eye on everything

Back