• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds germinating in gel... wuuuut..!!??

i'm curious if it would work... i know napkins work and such, but i have a bunch of gel crystals that i can spare from my feeder roach colonies... most of them died out in the cold... fail...

but anyways... is this a good idea...? i'm talking about http://watergelcrystals.com/ but sans the shapes or colors... it's the same stuff they put in soil to help save water...

if i get a little tray with seeds in this stuff will it work...? too wet...? too fail...?

thx...

btw, i really don't want to try it without your input... i'm just gonna make a mess in my room that i'll never clean up and waste seeds... maybe i'll try with some pekin or tepin seeds... hmm....

Please try this. I don't know if it will work. They say it can be used for germination and it is on the internet so I don't see how you can fail. If it doesn't work I will take full emotional responsibility.

I see a lot of benefits:
1. more or less sterile.
2. roots are unlikely to become imbedded and torn.
3. stays wet.

Or it may just completely fail.

Please try this. I don't know if it will work. They say it can be used for germination and it is on the internet so I don't see how you can fail. If it doesn't work I will take full emotional responsibility.

I see a lot of benefits:
1. more or less sterile.
2. roots are unlikely to become imbedded and torn.
3. stays wet.

Or it may just completely fail.

what you're saying here is that all i have to worry is for seed fail/aids...?

inorite¿...

well, i searched all over this forum for gel germination, gel-mination, or gel+seed=EPIC/WINNAR!.. and nothing came up...

what about the stuff they use in diapers HMMMMMMMM?....

same stuff... that one is more powdery and stuff... just that the one i use i huge chunk of gel crystals... like 1/2" cubes with jagged edges and such... maybe diaper guts would work out a lot better...?

hmmmmm...

IMO it will work. I would soak the seeds first and ofcourse transplant when you have a few sets of leaves. Be sure to POST SOME PICS!

what if i.... don't soak the seeds..?

yesterday i threw some seeds in saturated soil in an egg flat and threw that into a mini greenhouse over a heat mat...they were different types, so soaking would've been too much effort on my part...

LOL...

i'm lazy...

so did i doom these seeds...? my neighbor usually just throws seeds into a pot with whatever dirt and they grow... i really didn't think much of it...

I don't know... the gel's nutrients are typically obtained via digestion, right? Unless you were gonna use the gel just for germination.

Plantariums.jpg

You don’t need to be a botanist, environmentalist or to be Pamela Lillian Isley to grow your own plants in a bottle. Even if you don’t have a green thumb, you can grow your own plants with the new Plantarium.

http://www.geekiegadgets.com/2010/turn-your-desktop-into-a-garden-with-plantariums/

or

Kastenholz_Foto_Rapswurzel_550.jpg

agar is a seaweed extract and actually nurtures the growth of plants.

http://www2.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg-3/Staff/Kastenholz

I don't know... the gel's nutrients are typically obtained via digestion, right? Unless you were gonna use the gel just for germination.

you mean seeds right...? seed's get their nutrients via digestion...?

nah, i just wanna gΘrminate them in it... gonna rig something up later this week... maybe throw them in a fishing lure box or something like that...

Plantariums.jpg

You don’t need to be a botanist, environmentalist or to be Pamela Lillian Isley to grow your own plants in a bottle. Even if you don’t have a green thumb, you can grow your own plants with the new Plantarium.

http://www.geekiegad...th-plantariums/

or

Kastenholz_Foto_Rapswurzel_550.jpg

agar is a seaweed extract and actually nurtures the growth of plants.

http://www2.fz-jueli...taff/Kastenholz

oh ramon, you know everythang..!

i've seen all that before... i just don't have any right now like i do these water crystals... LOL...

Someone posted a pic of a butch t seed in the bottom of his aquarium that sprouted...sounds similar. Don't know how long it would sustain them without adding some sort of nutrition, but if you just wanted to germ and move them, pretty sure it would work. Let us know how it turns out! Don't waste pequin or tepin on it...do something easier first. I would use a jalapeno or a cayenne. If you'll wait I have a bunch of fresno seeds that I will throw at you when I meet you with the train seeds and you can try those.

Someone posted a pic of a butch t seed in the bottom of his aquarium that sprouted...sounds similar. Don't know how long it would sustain them without adding some sort of nutrition, but if you just wanted to germ and move them, pretty sure it would work. Let us know how it turns out! Don't waste pequin or tepin on it...do something easier first. I would use a jalapeno or a cayenne. If you'll wait I have a bunch of fresno seeds that I will throw at you when I meet you with the train seeds and you can try those.

wat...? i thought pekin and tepin grew like weeds... they sprout everywhere in my house... even on the sidewalk cracks...

and ok, cool...

For the record, agar is not the same as sodium polacrylate (the stuff in diapers.) I'mvery interested in how this turns out.

isn't it the same stuff...? my package says sodium polyacrylate...

i have seen cuttings root in this stuff no problem

that's cool... i wonder how it would get oxygen and nutes...

I was just messing because I love pequins...would hate to see it fail with pequins in there lol. You're right though, some folks claim to have problems germinating pequins, but they were the first ones up in my tray and 3 of 4 were up in 5 days. I think my cayennes were quicker by a day on my last tray.

You don't need to soak them. It just improves germination rates.

ok... kewel... thx...

I was just messing because I love pequins...would hate to see it fail with pequins in there lol. You're right though, some folks claim to have problems germinating pequins, but they were the first ones up in my tray and 3 of 4 were up in 5 days. I think my cayennes were quicker by a day on my last tray.

i have cayennes somewhere too... all dried and nasty... LOL... but i have a grip of pequin and even orange habañeros... also goat's weed... hmm...and manzano... hmm hmm hmmmmm....

well hell, with all those seeds just laying around what are you waiting for??? What do you have to lose? Just toss a couple of each in there and see what happens!

i have nothing to put them in... chingasuFML... i don't want to use ziploc baggies... i want to test out different methods... like depth and stuff...

Back