• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds germinating in gel... wuuuut..!!??

You see, that was a funny because the stuff that goes in a diaper is the same as the sewage that becomes the...eh, you see where I was going with this?

no... milorganite is a fertilizer i guess... poly sodium whatever it's called is the stuff inside diapers... also that stuff to feed crickets, roaches and to save water... and plants...

what you're saying here is that all i have to worry is for seed fail/aids...?

I'm saying if it doesn't work I will be dissapointed. Let me carry that emotional burden.

As far as dead seeds, worthless packages of gel,AIDS, or becoming an internet meme/icon of failure; that risk will be borne by you alone. I was going to say that I would take full responsibility for failure but that may make me legally responsible for whatever horrible fall out could arise from this going bad.

This sounds like fun, think I'll give it a shot.

do it... i'm fat and lazy right now...

post pics...

I'm saying if it doesn't work I will be dissapointed. Let me carry that emotional burden.

As far as dead seeds, worthless packages of gel,AIDS, or becoming an internet meme/icon of failure; that risk will be borne by you alone. I was going to say that I would take full responsibility for failure but that may make me legally responsible for whatever horrible fall out could arise from this going bad.

touché...

Might be a bit late but on dealextreme.com they have those water gels super cheap for almost under 2 dollars that made me want to try it too and see if the seeds germinate

Here we go. I'm keeping them capped to slow down the moisture loss due to evaporation. There are three small holes in the lids to allow some air. The seeds are Douglah's. I'll keep them in the tarantula nursery where temps are kept around 81F.

DSC014431600x1200.jpg

nice patrick... tarantulas... :shivers:

i'm gonna do it this sunday... i just need to nab another heat pad... maybe put the chickens out of the brooder and use the heat tape in there.... hmm...

Im doing this today, this is so awesome

Do you know if i should include some light ferts into the mixture? or just plain agar will do?

No reason to fertilize a seed. Wait until you get some true leaves before adding any type of ferts.

Good luck to you kiddc.

¿updates?...

i'm gonna do this soon... gonna go buy some mini solo cups and try it out with a bunch of seeds i just got in the mail the other day... just curious to see if you guys got some results or not...

sorry, i havent started yet. I keep forgetting to look for agar mix during my grocery shopping. Will start out for sure.

Was thinking of 2 tests:-
1. Germinating seeds in agar
2. Maintaining seedlings in agar.

sorry, i havent started yet. I keep forgetting to look for agar mix during my grocery shopping. Will start out for sure.

Was thinking of 2 tests:-
1. Germinating seeds in agar
2. Maintaining seedlings in agar.

i want to do the same thing... can't wait...

what if i.... don't soak the seeds..?

so did i doom these seeds...? my neighbor usually just throws seeds into a pot with whatever dirt and they grow... i really didn't think much of it...

I have never soaked my seeds and I usually get above 90% germination. My business partner soaks them and I haven't seen any difference in germination rates or times. Most people recommend it so there might be something to it, but I haven't noticed a difference.

I have never soaked my seeds and I usually get above 90% germination. My business partner soaks them and I haven't seen any difference in germination rates or times. Most people recommend it so there might be something to it, but I haven't noticed a difference.

i think it's too hard or confusing if you're planting more than one type of seed...

Back