• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds germination without heat source

You absolutely should. If i was a betting man, i would bet the farm on you never going paper towel again.

I am currently growing over 15 different varietys. The ONLY 1 that didnt Come up within the first 2 weeks was Brown Moruga. That variety too 3-4 weeks. Everything else was up fast enough to literally suprise me. From mini bell and jalapeno to white bhut and carolina reapers. Allot of types in between..

Your right, do a little experiment and find what works best for you. You will be very glad you did

In the end they are just plants. Plants evolve to drop seeds on the ground and new plants grow. When dealing with nature, natures way is usually a good way

I agree completely. So what is your stance on premade trays (burpee etc..) since theyre basically just a mass marketed natural-ish start? I bought a 36 cell "self watering" tray and would like to hope it's not a complete waste. I'll be growing about 15 varieties as well this year, and I have enough seeds to try the different germ methods, but I'd like to not waste seeds, as well as not be overrun with an amount I can't handle

The 36 cell tray is probably a solid product, ive never tried one. I just bought a big stack of 6 cell old fashion seed trays on amazon for a few bucks. They work like a charm. I put 2 seeds in each cell, let them grow a bit and once one is the obvious winner i prune the other one away. Not necessary, just how i do it. From there i throw the sprouts into solo cups. After they grow a bit they goto buckets.

In my experience seeds are not hard to come by and honestly how many plants do you want? 1 healthy plant should give you dozens of pods and thats a low estimate. Some of these guys get 100 or more per without a problem. If i was you, I would plant everything I wanted, then use the leftover seeds to double up as many cells as I could.

Well I'm just not sure where I would put all the plants outside. A dozen or more containers isn't as pretty to my wife as it is to me, otherwise I would need one big ass raised bed. The clay down here would take too much work

Suezotiger said:
I would plant two of each.  Hopefully you'll get one good sprout of each and if you get two and don't have space, give it to a friend and tell them it's a sweet pepper (especially if it's a superhot)
Pure evil. I like the way you think.

I mainly grow wild types, Tepins, Piquins, etc. These typically take 30+ days to germinate and I am using old seed stock. Using the coffee filter/plastic bag method, I can at least check progress.

While the seeds are old, two varieties, Simojoval and Parado (both from Mexico) germinate with great success. I have seeds from 1999 stored in an envelope that germinate easily.

20150122_174846_zpse9kcekqj.jpg
[/img]

Well here's a point for paper towel method.
Two year old piquin seeds in moist paper towel in Ziploc on top of router. Popped in about 4 days. Didn't soak them

I have to admit I was pretty surprised at the short amount of time it took. And I have hundreds of these seeds. I have more seeds in the soil inside right now to compare germ Times and rates, didn't soak those either. As more varieties of seeds come in the mail I'll do side by side comparisons on the heat mat. Hopefully a market around here is interested in buying all the excess plants I plan to have!

I've been wondering what kind of refrigerators some of you guys have that are hot on top. Mine is always cold, but the freezer is the top compartment.

Most newer fridges are insulated a lot better than older models. Most of the heat would be coming up from behind them from the fan cooling off the compressor

twilliams386 said:
I was actually wondering if I should do more than one seed per cell... Hmmm

I've done up to 3 seeds per cell in the standard germination station successfully but that's very tight. I regularly plant 2 of the same variety in the same cell. I use a standard seedling mix and spread them out to the far corners. I use a small spoon to transplant them fairly early to solo cups or 4 inch pots to avoid root tangling. If one seed is pokey germinating, I often backfill the scooped part with more soil.

This was my first try. It is more proof to myself that i could dig it up and chop the shit out of the roots without harming it than actual bonchi.. but technically if i was keeping up with the trimming and wiring it would he a bonchi.. if nothing else, my red savina hab from last year couldnt be happier like this. They say just planting it this spring will allow it to go back to growing like normal

http://postimg.org/image/wydkqnjjp/

Back