• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GhostPepperStore's *Not* Growlog 2013

So even though it is way too late in the year to start a growlog, I feel like it is necessary in order to not muck up other sections of the forums with random pictures. So really, this is just going to be my shameless promotion picture thread.

I am going to start from the beginning of the season with some pictures and try to do a quick catch up.

Feb 2 - part of the main crop and all of the test crops

Feb2-2013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Mar 17 - six weeks later, Chinenses are SO SLOW!

Mar17-2013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Apr 16 - starting to pick up the pace, it was still really cold in the Midwest.

Apr16-2013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Apr16 - some of the test plants, just podding up for the first time. Those tomato plants are about 12ft tall now.

Apr16-2013(2) by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

May 3 - what a difference a couple of warm weeks make.

may3 2013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

May 6 - first set of plants hit the ground, little do they know, it ends up being cold and wet for 3 more weeks.

May62013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

June 14 - It took a month, but they hit their growth spurt and really start growing.

June14-2013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

June 27 - Same row as above, lots of pods already.

June27-2013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

June 27 - Same row, different angle

Untitled by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

More pics after dinner and a bump.

So I went out to the greenhouse today and noticed that the top of one of my plants was... gone, like disappeared. We all know what that means.

Time to choose an implement of destruction and get medieval up in this piece. Flamethrower anyone? :flamethrower:

Mmmm... plump when you cook em,

I like mine extra-crispy. :flamethrower:

I went back into the greenhouse and found two more of these suckers, they suffered similar fates.

Now on a lighter note, I love yellow bhuts, this is an upskirt from just one branch on this plant.

Hey GPS, those Bhuts are awesome. Love the slender shape an gnarly texture.

Damn....you should have slapped that bad boy between a bun after you roasted it.....lol

You sure know what you're doing over there in Rockford. Keep it up buddy!

3/5King said:
Hey GPS, those Bhuts are awesome. Love the slender shape an gnarly texture.

Damn....you should have slapped that bad boy between a bun after you roasted it.....lol

You sure know what you're doing over there in Rockford. Keep it up buddy!

I thought the same thing when I cooked him, looked like a bratwurst, juices exploded out of it like one too.

I am WAY south of Rockford, buddy, down in the St. Louis metro area.

Cool shaped Bhuts !
As far as the Hornworms go, I like to throw  stale leftover bread out for the morning "early birds"......sometimes I'll throw the "Green Slinky's" out for them as a sandwich treat........... :D      Everybody Loves a Slinky............ even the birds............. :)

jedisushi06 said:
looks like you are having a better season than last year!  Roast the little bastards!  Nice bhuts!

That roasted hornworm looks almost like bbq sausage at that point - kinda scary. I need to get that flamethrower for my weeds!

New pics...

Test plants are looking happy

july122013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Finally starting to get more ripe Douglah X Butch T's, I do believe PexPeppers will be taste testing this one next week.

douglah x butch t F4 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Douglahs are podding up nicely

7pot douglah - unripe by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

7 Pot Brown, I have changed my mind once again, these are definitely NOT the same as a douglah, in a blind taste test, I wouldn't be able to distinguish between the two though.

7pot brown - unripe by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

It is a misting ring that connects on the front of my 30" oscillating fan, so it is technically a misting system, but cools the greenhouse through evaporative cooling. It all depends on what your definition of "is" is. :P

I actually have only had to run it once so far this year. Greenhouse temps have been staying under 95 most days with just the fans and the shade cloth. Ambient temps have been pretty mild this summer so far.

That's right....I think you posted a link to it. I'm still trying to get mine all figured out but getting close

newpeppergrower1105 said:
how was that done? by choosing the pepper that was long and thin grew it out for 4 years?
Basically, I mean, please don't give me a bunch of credit for it, it isn't anything spectacular. I haven't been selecting pods based on shape really, it has been more about texture and size. I have been taking seeds from the gnarliest pods for the past four years. Honestly, the fact the most of the pods I am seeing this year are gnarly could just be a coincidence or just dumb luck.

Pepperhead said:

Related question:  How do you isolate your plants to prevent crossing?

Oh and that is a nasty Cayennish bhut.  Very cool.

I have couple of different ways. This year I have isolated some red bhuts inside my greenhouse, they are the only pepper plants in there. I also use isolation tents, but that is all I can tell you about that one :shh: .

thanks for the info thats really intresting i want to try that next year on some of my cool looking peppers. have you tryed selective breeding the growth or other characteristics of pepper plants for example faster growing or high yeild?

Back