• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GhostPepperStore's *Not* Growlog 2013

So even though it is way too late in the year to start a growlog, I feel like it is necessary in order to not muck up other sections of the forums with random pictures. So really, this is just going to be my shameless promotion picture thread.

I am going to start from the beginning of the season with some pictures and try to do a quick catch up.

Feb 2 - part of the main crop and all of the test crops

Feb2-2013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Mar 17 - six weeks later, Chinenses are SO SLOW!

Mar17-2013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Apr 16 - starting to pick up the pace, it was still really cold in the Midwest.

Apr16-2013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Apr16 - some of the test plants, just podding up for the first time. Those tomato plants are about 12ft tall now.

Apr16-2013(2) by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

May 3 - what a difference a couple of warm weeks make.

may3 2013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

May 6 - first set of plants hit the ground, little do they know, it ends up being cold and wet for 3 more weeks.

May62013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

June 14 - It took a month, but they hit their growth spurt and really start growing.

June14-2013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

June 27 - Same row as above, lots of pods already.

June27-2013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

June 27 - Same row, different angle

Untitled by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

More pics after dinner and a bump.

My opinion is that growth rate and yield is mostly related to environment. My red bhuts almost always have 3 blooms per node, but environment has everything to do with whether or not the blooms set fruit. Most of my plants grow at the same rate, I have never seen any overachievers growth wise. Obviously I do not ever isolate plants that are underachievers, so I guess in a sense I am selecting favorably towards growth and fertility as a byproduct. 

This year I did isolate the 15 red bhuts that flowered first, and they had ripe peppers a full month before the other plants. There are too many variables to determine whether or not they were truly faster producers. They stayed in pots in a nice warm greenhouse, the other plants had to suffer through a cold, wet Spring.

i wish somoone would create a faster growing plant because there so slow :tear:  kinda like the 50 day wonder tomato that i grew and i was amazed on how fast it started to give me tomatoes thats where i got the idea from

Here is an updated picture. I put my yard stick out there for comparison. All the plants are just under 3' as of today. I have BER problems AGAIN! Not nearly as bad as last year, but it is still enough to drive me crazy. I read an interesting article the other day saying that BER can be caused by plants growing too fast and not having a strong enough vascular system to get calcium to the pods. I am 99% sure there is enough calcium in the ground at this point, so it has to be an uptake issue.

july212013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

theghostpepperstore said:
Here is an updated picture. I put my yard stick out there for comparison. All the plants are just under 3' as of today. I have BER problems AGAIN! Not nearly as bad as last year, but it is still enough to drive me crazy. I read an interesting article the other day saying that BER can be caused by plants growing too fast and not having a strong enough vascular system to get calcium to the pods. I am 99% sure there is enough calcium in the ground at this point, so it has to be an uptake issue.

july212013 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr
Best of luck! Great looking garden and I need your gnarly pods to pose for you. ;)

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Best of luck! Great looking garden and I need your gnarly pods to pose for you. ;)
Yeah, I really need that too! We are expecting some rain this week, and then really COOL weather! It's insane, they are saying lows in the 50's this week here. Definitely not typical for St. Louis at the end of July. I am hoping I am about a week or two out from being able to get the pods out to you, there are lots of big photogenic looking pods out there just starting to turn color.

Shoot, my superhot pods have just started forming.....yikes!

Yup, that bhut utopia looks awesome TGPS. Makes me think of the Beetles...Strawberry Fields Forever!

I don't know why I thought you were in Rockford. Better that your not lol.

Woohoo, I actually found the time to EAT some peppers today.

Here is my first ripe Primo. The plant it came from along with one other plant aren't producing very good tails, I am hoping they grow out of it.

Naga Morich on the left, Primo on the left. Both could have used another day on the plant, but oh well.

Both were damn hot. The Primo was hotter by far! The Primo tastes very sweet to me, but it has instant heat, and a lot of it. The Naga had that familiar bhut flavor and the good old slow burn the bhuts/nagas have.

I don't eat whole pods anymore, usually I will eat like 1/8 to 1/4 depending on the size. I ate less than a quarter of the Primo and my stomach is still burning an hour later. Its a good pepper though, I like it.

A few more pictures before the rain rolls in. Hopefully this will be part of the bunch that gets a personal photo session with Chris Joyner!

Morugas

Morugas by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Brain Strains

Brain Strains by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Douglah X Butch T - I now know 2 out of 10 plants are the red phenotype

Douglah X TSBT by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

7 Pot Savannah - This plant is a monster, its in a 7 gallon container and it stands 5' tall right now. I am hoping for a 7 footer, which will be impressive considering the size of the pot.

7 Pot Savannahs by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

pepperdan said:
Have you looked into using humic acid as a an uptake enhancer ?

General hydroponics makes diamond nectar brand

I have thought about it, but I wasn't happy about the price. I am brewing up 40 gallons of AACT this week, hopefully, and that should also be a big help. I am actually seeing less and less BER peppers each day, so I think they are starting to straighten out. It's only the red bhuts really, everything else has been fine.

So, even though I am no longer committed to keeping this log up to date, I have to give a big shout out to Chris Joyner (JoynersHotPeppers) for the amazing photos he shot of some of my pods. These will be used on my website starting really soon. I am only throwing up the thumbnail sized versions since I realize it is only a matter of time before they get stolen and used elsewhere.

YellowBhut by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

TScorpMoruga by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

TScorpButchT by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

TrinidadScorpYellow by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

RedBhut by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Infinity by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

FataliiYellow by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

FataliiRed by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

ChocBhut by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

7PotPrimo by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Awesome pods and great pics Chris. 

So, even though I am no longer committed to keeping this log up to date

All over the reaper discussion??? That will blow over soon enough, it was just a few members keeping it going anyway. Why did it push your buttons so much? Just curious. 

FWIW, it has been interesting reading keeping up with what you have been working on. 

I am only throwing up the thumbnail sized versions since I realize it is only a matter of time before they get stolen and used elsewhere.

It is sad but a true unfortunately. 

Jeff H said:

All over the reaper discussion??? That will blow over soon enough, it was just a few members keeping it going anyway. Why did it push your buttons so much? Just curious. 

There is much more to it than that. I would elaborate, but honestly it just isn't worth it. I am keeping my distance to work on my attitude and it doesn't really have anything to do with other people here. I need to take some time and focus on growing peppers. I've been so busy lately with picking peppers and shipping peppers that I don't really have time to keep up with posting anyway.

Spicegeist said:
I like the looks of that Choco Bhut...

Me too, that one was particularly photogenic, I will be completely honest, I cherry picked the pods that I wanted Chris to shoot. They can't all be that beautiful unfortunately.

Back