• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Giant Pumpkin+veg. GLOG!!!

As a kid I tried to grow these a few years they make fruit so big then drop them cause of rot.
I think it was a combination of squash bugs and some kind of fungus

That is a very common problem. If you put the fruit on some type of platform you wont run the risk of exposing them to those bugs. Keeps them from rotting etc.

I found sulphur dust to be a big help on my last pumpkin, I had bits of rot coming near the base so I cut out the rot and dusted with sulphur it kept going for weeks.
I've heard of guys doing all kinds of crazy things with sulfur to stop the rot and fill big cracks. 

Looks like it has survived the last couple of hot days! Looking slightly bigger but most importantly still has a nice shine on it.   When they go dull they have usually aborted.
P1050072_zpscphallab.jpg

Very nice. Can't wait to see how big it gets. Mine are just starting to get second leaves. Can't wait until I get one. Lot's of pumpkin pie in my future! Be sure to save the seeds too haha.

I was going to try not to spam your thread with photos...but I got back to work this morning and had a look, got a bit of a shock, its really put some height and weight on it!  Its a slightly different angle but I think its fair to say this thing is starting to take off.  Not bad for 24 hours

P1050084_zps2qamwgze.jpg

Mine isn't doing a whole lot so go ahead and spam the thread :D

Friday the pumpkins had just started to get second leaf. Got home from a trip today and it started to vine out. Hopefully it warms up soon. It's supposed to snow sometime this week. 

from the measurements I've got 73 inches, On the calculator I used last year it doesn't give you an estimate until you get to 100 inches.

I just downloaded an android app call GPC Weight Estimator which puts 73 inches as 25lbs.  Which I'm 100% sure isn't right.  I just straightened up the pumpkin a bit to make sure it is perpendicular to the vine so it doesn't crush its self and it feels more like 10lb and less to me.   I dont think these calculators are too accurate until you get some real size.

This is the one I used last year and I found the end weight of the pumpkin was fairly accurate.  Would have been spot on if the underneath of my pumpkin wasnt concave.
http://www.giantpumpkins.co.nz/weight-calculator/

Looks about right. How old is the plant itself? Just wondering so I can kind of figure out how much mine will take. Boy are they growing fast though. Pretty soon I will be putting it outside I would say within a week or so. 

A little older than a month I would say, I've got photos from the 7th feb where they have just started to be a vine.

I'm not sure how the speed compares to soil grown pumpkins.  I guess with the right soil there shouldn't be much difference at all.

Back