beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

Eleven, but I think that batch really had true stalled fermentation from day one ...

Most people complain those tabs take too long to dissolve, mine were processed overnight - prob from beer getting to sit at room temp and not in CB bag ...

I did see where folks prefer mixing up priming sugar in a bottling bucket for a batch, rather than using tabs, but that's what I had, and the bottling bucket is huge for a one gal batch ...

It's all good, I'll bottle the translucent beer in an hour or two, after coffee ...

Kegs will arrive this week, and I found that Best Buy will deliver free once you hit $400, so I'll probably order a pair of 7 ft^3 and pay the nominal fee that it costs for getting the 3 yrs onsite service ...

I only have two more little one gal kits, and then it's fiver's ...

Bottling the Grapefruit Honey Ale ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429475926.431138.jpg

Weird ... did it ingest sanitizer? ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429475970.647018.jpg

LOL, this was the most promising gallon, too ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429476009.847742.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429476021.282639.jpg

I read it at 1012 by eye, couldn't photo ...

OG was 1049, so I'm around 4.85% ABV on this one ... target was 5.5% ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429476233.377630.jpg

Barely got the 3rd, a little shy ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429476265.717889.jpg

Used 10x priming tabs ...

Should be safer, this time ... right? =)

(double-checking me greatly appreciated)

LOL.

CHEERS!

time for one ... or three, in one ...

Damn, that was close! Happened super quick. Not sure what those carb drops are, but your ratio sounds high, I would be using like 4 of those per bottle of them going on size. As you can't sustain a long cold conditioning, there are still loads of yeast hungry for sugar.

OK ...

The only instructions say:

For 12oz, use 3 for mild, 4 for medium, and 5 for high carbonation ...

I'm in 32oz bottles ...

Is it non-linear?
Update: I vented them real quick ...

One was more charged than the others, probably whichever has more trub/yeasties etc ...

I'll do the next one in the bottling bucket w/ a batch of priming sugar, instead ...

Keeping #OpGastropub rolling, it's time for Sunday's Do The Work ... between working and working edition, this week! ...

PB&J gelato in the MC style ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429481913.765611.jpg

PB&J Gelato.  I am interested.

Careful Googling this one, "Daddy Daughter Kitchen Gelato" ...

It's from MC at Home ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429482401.653737.jpg

*Cold* *Concord* grape juice, which dry ingredients have been stick-blended into ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429482531.844265.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429482543.894681.jpg

* both important to outcome.

Bring to a boil ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429482510.744455.jpg

Looking forward to blending in the PB and peanut oil next ;)

Smells killer in here - already ...

Fair enough. Perhaps aim for mild to medium :P   priming sugar is definitely the better option, you can use the ratios to make sure it is where it needs to be. GELATO!!

Sadly my daughter is allergic to all nuts, so no cooking or processing with them in the house.  Hopefully she will outgrow it one day.

Recent news suggests dishwashing for child allergies, Google it for sure ... like two week old news ...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429482923.200666.jpg

Yum!
Fair enough. Perhaps aim for mild to medium :P   priming sugar is definitely the better option, you can use the ratios to make sure it is where it needs to be. GELATO!!

Yeah. I'll order some and use it for the next batch ...

That batch has a known problem, too, so I have guarded expectations ...

It's OK, I'll do some more single gallons ... I'll make a starter for the next one, which will be cool/different ...

It's awesome ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429488855.649180.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429488865.283320.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429488873.650897.jpg

albeit a bit childish ...

It tastes like a peanut butter and jelly sammie, in earnest ...

Kind of leaves me wanting for a more adult gelato, though ...

Cool play on the taste buds, though ...

PS - just vented the bottles again, don't want a mess. I think I'll let it ride, now, though ... I can always add more, I guess, if need be, later ... PITA.

Also if you bulk prime, make a simple syrup of your priming sugar and after its cooled carefully pour it into your bottling bucket before the wort, you get a more even distribution of the sugar and are less likely to get bottle bombs. I even do it for what I'm kegging. Just give it a week or 3 to card up the beer and your golden.

Edit: and you can make a few bottles as well as keg it up

RocketMan said:
Also if you bulk prime, make a simple syrup of your priming sugar and after its cooled carefully pour it into your bottling bucket before the wort, you get a more even distribution of the sugar and are less likely to get bottle bombs. I even do it for what I'm kegging. Just give it a week or 3 to card up the beer and your golden.

Edit: and you can make a few bottles as well as keg it up
I always do a 21L batch so I have a couple of bottles to play with.  Good for Friday drinks at work without having to drag out the counter pressure bottle filler.  

RocketMan said:
Ok, so in my dreams last night the fix for CFC cooling of wort for Florida boys came to me and its so simple.

34D38CDE-4990-49A8-BC40-D32A3EAB4A5E_zpsghqciwuq.png

Yes a 275 gph submersible pump, this one is adjustable too and at $29.00 is a smart choice. So when we build our CFC, like this,

http://www.brewgeeks.com/counterflow-wort-chiller.html

Instead of a hose attachment we put a 1/2 or 3/4 inch tubing barb on there and attach the other end to the pump. Have the pump in the bottom of a big a$$ bucket, I'll probably use the new trash can I'm getting to hold my C-kegs for the party, full of cold water with a couple or 3 frozen 2 ltr bottles and one or 2 5 gallon buckets full of cold water to add more cold water as needed. I figure the trash can full will probably be enough and even if it's not just using water at ground temp might be good especially is the CFC is taking the temp way down.

Keep thinking about this ...

I've over-reduced batches during the boil, and then added water ...

Why not do it on purpose and add ice ...

Boil some water, then freeze it, then add it to make up the difference, and get some heat reduction ...
wheebz said:
take the 940, do an initial pitch at 62 degrees, drop it to 55 12 hours after pitch, let that bitch rock out until around 65-68 attenuation, bring it to 62 to 63 for a diacetyl rest for 2 or 3 days until its terminal and it passes a VDK test (diketones), transfer to secondary and then drop that ish down to 32-34 and hold it there for like 14 days, SOOO GOOD

make a pils recipe using all pislner malt and some cara-pils and thats all you need, do a 20 min, 15, 10, 5, and WP addition of your favorite low AA hop, I really like hallertau or styrian, and you will have one of the best pils on the market

put it at 18-22 IBU's, with an OG of like 10 plato

check your water profile for this one, make sure you are as neutral as possible, like having ZERO minerally things in your water, and it will be awesomme

if you can get your hands on some German Saffir, or some Aussie Summer, or some New Zealand Wakatu hops, use those, and i promise if you do it right, its going to be epic

Re-posting once more, to keep it in mind ...

Going w/ some ingredients to use w/ the Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison yeasties ...

Floor-malted Pilsner and a small amount of Acidulated Malt ...

And for hops, some US Fuggles and Columbus, and some Czech Saaz ...

Back