• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Goat's Weed rocks!!!

Finally got the seeds from Rob.  I've got them heating on top of the light right now!

Also, why on earth is USPS so damn slow?

Wooohoooooooo! :dance: I hope you enjoy them as much as I have bud!  Happy growing - I hope the season is kind to you.

r9lqw5.jpg

My overwintered Goats Weed is producing pods already, should have a nice bank of seeds this year   I only take seeds from the red ripened chili's

El Jefe said:
This topic has single handedly sold me on Goat's Weed. I ordered seeds yesterday and can't wait to get 'em in the dirt!
You won't be dissatisfied! These are one of my favorites too. I planted this seed in may last year and it didn't do the greatest. It was neglected for the most part and could heave used a bigger pot or been stuck in the dirt. Any how I'm not sure when I decided to bring it indoors.. With a little tlc, pruning and light I have this beast and it's just a little past plant out.

Burning Colon said:
goatsweed is my house pepper, i have several growing right now plus my overwinter stock, they overwinter really well and you should get at least several years out of plant.
True dat. My last Goatsweed lasted 3 years. It died this past winter after a hard freeze that I didn't do anything to protect it from. Another plus is that pest insects seem to avoid this variety. Last year I had major infestations of both aphids and thrips and neither of those did much damage to the the old goat. I had a hab and a tabasco on either side of it and they both suffered big time.

smileyguy697 said:
You won't be dissatisfied! These are one of my favorites too. I planted this seed in may last year and it didn't do the greatest. It was neglected for the most part and could heave used a bigger pot or been stuck in the dirt. Any how I'm not sure when I decided to bring it indoors.. With a little tlc, pruning and light I have this beast and it's just a little past plant out.

THat plant is lookin good, I am still waiting for some ripe pods but I have flowers and new pods growing everywhere.  Really vigorous growth, last year I planted late and only got about a dozen pods.  I already have doubled that and I think this plant will be a big producer from the looks of it. 

do a forum search on pinching goatsweed or just plain goatsweed, i have made a few presentations in the past and am not willing to remake another but if you want absolute fun, revisit my post on pinching goatsweed.... you will have a whole new experience............... just do it!

Burning Colon said:
do a forum search on pinching goatsweed or just plain goatsweed, i have made a few presentations in the past and am not willing to remake another but if you want absolute fun, revisit my post on pinching goatsweed.... you will have a whole new experience............... just do it!

Did a search using your parameters and nothing came up besides this thread.  

cheers

I had these last year in a 5 liter pots (1,32 gallon) .. they grew big for these small pots... but look a little different than yours Buzzman19 and smileyguy697 ..
this pic was taken in the first half of september, the pods were mainly turned downwards, but i remember in early stage they were mostly upward .. why is that ? climate maybe?

goatsweedtsurrieseptembe.jpg

I'll see what they'll grow like this season ... they aughta be bigger because I'm using 5 gallon pots now...

tsurrie said:
I had these last year in a 5 liter pots (1,32 gallon) .. they grew big for these small pots... but look a little different than yours Buzzman19 and smileyguy697 ..
this pic was taken in the first half of september, the pods were mainly turned downwards, but i remember in early stage they were mostly upward .. why is that ? climate maybe?

I'll see what they'll grow like this season ... they aughta be bigger because I'm using 5 gallon pots now...

I have no clue why, I have seen pictures of this chili growing both upright and hanging down though so I wouldnt read to much into it.  I think on Judy's site, pepperlover.com she even has a picture of hers hanging down. 

I got my plant from a friend who had 8 plants and all of his grew upright.  This is his favorite chili, he eats them like candy and prefers the taste of them when they are black. 

I will have some seeds available in a couple more weeks if you woud like some let me know, for the upright vs. hanging comparison if it means that much to you. 

Buzzman19 said:

I have no clue why, I have seen pictures of this chili growing both upright and hanging down though so I wouldnt read to much into it.  I think on Judy's site, pepperlover.com she even has a picture of hers hanging down. 

I got my plant from a friend who had 8 plants and all of his grew upright.  This is his favorite chili, he eats them like candy and prefers the taste of them when they are black. 

I will have some seeds available in a couple more weeks if you woud like some let me know, for the upright vs. hanging comparison if it means that much to you. 

I'd for sure like a few of those seeds, so I can then see if next year they'll grow the same as mine... I was afraid they might got crossed, but after seeing them like that at Judy's, my mind was set at ease :)
thanks

They are upright when in the black stage and thern become more pendulous as they ripen - by the time they bright red they hand down.

tsurrie said:

I'd for sure like a few of those seeds, so I can then see if next year they'll grow the same as mine... I was afraid they might got crossed, but after seeing them like that at Judy's, my mind was set at ease :)
thanks
Pm me be your addy. I have iso seed from the plant in the pic I just dried and would be happy to share. I'll even toss in some iso tepin x lemon drop f2s. Those are the sheet too!

RobStar said:
They are upright when in the black stage and thern become more pendulous as they ripen - by the time they bright red they hand down.
Mine stay up

Burning Colon said:
. . . one of the neat things about the goatsweed is the pinching of the newer leaves. this plant just loves to have its newer growth pinched.the pinching causes a new branching effect. the first time you pinch and see the results, it will become second nature for you and everytime you look at a goatsweed it will be inherent to you - you won't be able to stop yourself ....... "must pinch leaves".

so to pinch, look for the new growth that is clovering. 4 leaves across from one another. take the larger of the leaves using under the younger leaves and pinch them off. now you will be left with just the 2 young leaves. in about 2 weeks time you will notice this branching effect and within a month you will see the results as the branch grows. you can do this both on the lower leaves on the main stem or on the top branching portions. again, once you start this process, you will just know what to do.

oh and i should add, i haven't come across a hotter annuum and i have tried thai dragon, jwala, suryanki cluster and other various forms of red annuum types(i have read about a Mem jolokia pepper from india that might pack more of a punch but i haven't run across it). the flavour is like an intense cayenne, so you won't be saying "oh, what a nice fruity flavour", the heat will quickly overwhelm your mouth like acid was just poured in your mouth. will notice the very pungent flavour and aroma with may linger on your palette for awhile. i usually sweat from the back of my head all the way to the base of my skull with this pepper, my lips tend to burn. the heat effect usually last a good 20 - 30 minutes.

i use this pepper in soups, stews and stir fry. powdering is also another good option.

good luck and have fun with goatsweed.

— in "Can you ID this Pepper Plant?"

Burning Colon said:
Hahaha! I believe that! Mine had to be pruned numerous times and each stick put out shoots like crazy. I'm taking your advice and going to run outside and pinch the top off every branch now. Will report back in a couple weeks with a pics.

RobStar said:

Mine dont hang down when ripe, occasionally I get one that hangs but its more due to the branch its on isnt as strong and its flexing and the weight of the chili cause it to hang over.  

Hanging or upright its a quality chili and plant. 

cheers

Yip they hang down a bit under their weight- out sideways if you will - not all though.

But yeah, a quality plant and by far the hottest annuum I have experienced.

Back