• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Goji - worth to keep'em ?

hi

i throw a single dry goji fruit and its all sprout within 2 days!!

picturela.jpg

i never try to eat a fresh goji so i am asking if is worth to keep growing this thing ?

goji:
goji-superfoods.jpg

After reading that its kinda superfood i guess that they deserve to live
http://www.naturalnews.com/036003_goji_berries_superfood_nutrients.html

Its also not a cheap stuff at all

sure.

BTW i read that its so EZ to deal with the growth, they growing at any condition without special care

so i will just keep'em growing next to my peppers

It can take a while to flower and fruit. Also, in China they propagate clones and generally do not grow from seed - they can be variable. So you might wait and pamper the thing just to get a poor producer. But it's like a weed isn't it, just put it somewhere in the ground and see if it survives.

Dont get Dissapointed its a good Start, I Have 2 Miracle Fruits it takes about the same time, I just add them to a small pot and keep em were they wont Bug me, Besides Once it grows Im sure You will be the Only One growing it and Getting them Fresh, Also if You already Have it growing it why Kill it or like Spicegeist said Just put it on the Ground and Forget about it, just make sure it gets water lol

I have been growing goji for 20 years. I don't get enough berries to make juice but I do get a bag worth that I freeze and use with my morning oatmeal. They are considered a super berry. The plants are very cold hardy, mine survive -35c winters.

It may take a few years to deliver fruit. Mine are starting to flower now and producing fruit. I am in the heart of my summer and the berries are usually ready to eat by mid sept. some say they should have a frost. the berries are ready when red, orange are bitter, red are suppose to be sweet, I have never tasted sweet, though others claim my berries are sweet. I have eaten lots of unripe berries and since I am typing this from our world, have not suffered from the poison effects.

During the winter months, I sow seeds, grow them indoors then give the plants away to friends. I do plant some of the seedling around my house to keep fresh plants but it is not necessary as the plant self propagates by new rooting. I have several new shoots darting up in the middle of my veg garden, 3 - 4 feet from the main plant.

Good growing

I have a row of about 10 plants. It took about 2 years for the first few fruits to show. It's 6 years now and they're loaded and they send underground shoots, so there's new ones popping up all over the garden now. So far, i've picked about six bulging 1 gal ziplock bags, and there's still maybe 1/3+ that aren't ripe.

Haven't taken any care of them, just occassional watering, though I should start to staking them up.

PM me if you wanna send me a SASE and i'll send you a few fruits, you can harvest the seeds from them or just toss them whole into some dirt.

so, i am at my specialty garden centre looking for cheap clearance stuff and what do they have, goji plants in 1 gallon container, 2 feet tall loaded with fruit. $1.98. original price $29.99. i had never seen them in the past, so i don't know where they came from. they had about 30 containers, after i gave my Captain Kirk speech on goji(people just started to crowd as i talked about them), the entire lot cleared out.

They are apparently a common hedgerow plant here, although I have never noticed them.
They are very hardy, and if they grow in the wild here in the frozen UK, then they must be easy to grow!

I had a couple of Goji berry bushes in the UK before I emigrated. I had them for two years and never got any flowers out of them. I had to give them away in the end along with most of my other fruit bushes. They did grow rather tall though.

Back