• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

off-topic Good Mornin' Thread - For those that get up really early and post

Good morning. It's sunny and 21F, on its way to 32F. Supposed to be the beginning of a warming trend. 60F by Thursday. That should melt some snow. Not much planned for the day. I have some dry beans that need shelling. Probably do that during the NFL games today. Jambalaya for dinner. Hope everybody has a peaceful and restful Sunday. Be safe out there and have a great day.

Last edited:
Good morning. 33-50, cloudy. Warmer this week but still a long time before gardening time. Nothing much planned for a dreary day. Daughter’s been test driving cars, and now is talking about leasing one. Any thoughts? Something new for us.
Have a wonderful day. Enjoy all the sports games on today’s docket.

Leasing is no go for me as I have never had a car payment in my life. Ive also had my work truck for 20 years and drive around a van from 2012 and a car from 2009 car with its second engine. Hopefully Im able to keep with never having a payment. Ive always just bought what I can afford but thats what poor people do,lol. If you can afford a bunch of payments than do your thing.

Thanks, Sic. We’re the same with buying what we could afford. Now that we’re retired, we can afford a hybrid that hubby’s been wanting.
With all the new technology, I’m in the dark and just have my small truck. Daughter knows so much more than I do, but it’s her choice . . .

Good morning! Have to go by and take care of whatever needs to be done on 3 properties today. Probably will do some maintenance stuff also. Guitar this evening. Have a great day and good morning.

Jane, Ive known lots of people that all they do is leases. They are usually older and financial stable. They will do a 1 year or 3 year and they have a new car with zero problems and if one occurs its took care of under warranty. Makes that part of their life easier.

Good morning.

Just resting today. Nothing in the calendar.

Jane, I would not lease. I did it once and never again! If you don’t drive many miles you’re good. Life changed and I ended up driving more mileage. You get charged for the mileage. In the end, the dealer didn’t want it. So it went to auction. Whatever it gets auctioned for you are responsible for the rest: so if it’s valued at $20k and gets auctioned for $12k, you owe $8k. I should have just bought. In the end another dealer bought the car and I was off the hook. I got lucky. I ended up making more lease payments than the car was worth. I think it was $31k in lease payments on a $19k vehicle and ending up with nothing to show. It’s a good tax right off if you own a business, but I would still rather buy a certified used. Definitely stay away from leasing. It’s a con and they are not straight forward. You will pay more in the end.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. It's 32F on its way to 34F. Freezing rain this morning. The roads are icy and the schools are closed. Unfortunately, we've got several appointments up in the city this morning. @Catherine: No help here. I've never leased a vehicle and haven't had to deal with any sort of vehicle payments for a long time. While up in the city, we'll probably do lunch too. Nothing much else is going on. Be safe and be good.

Good morning. It's sunny and 6F, on its way to 43F. Beginning of a warming trend, they say. Sounds nice. I have a Dr's appt this afternoon, then we'll run a few errands.

Catherine, I don't have any experience with car leasing either, but my niece did. She was in her early twenties and had just started working for a car dealership. They immediately talked her into a 3 year-36K mile lease. Everything went fine with it until, with 9 months left on the lease, a woman (who was drunk) ran a red light and hit her broadside. Then, the woman left the scene. Come to find out, it was a neighbor who lived up the street. That's a whole nother story, lol. The appraiser assessed the damages to within $500 of totaling it, but didn't. The insurance companies battled it out, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, the point of this story was the dealership lease. They held her liable for the loss in value of the car, due to the accident. They didn't care whose fault it was. It turned out to be several thousand dollars. Oh, forgot to say, they laid her off 3 weeks after she signed the lease. I think that was their scam. They would hire young folks, lease them a car, then terminate them, leaving them with no means to make payments. I can't remember what the late-payment clause was, but it wasn't in the lessee's favor. Thankfully, she didn't have that issue. Anyway, we just chalked it up to one of those "life" experiences. She hasn't leased a vehicle since then.🙂

Hope everybody has a marvelous Monday. Be safe out there and enjoy the sunshine.

Last edited:
Good morning. 32-48F, sounds like a nice day. Many, many thanks for all the great comments and experiences wrt car leasing. We had a long discussion and research about leasing, which has now been tabled. She is NOT going to lease 😀 because you all cared enough to help us decide.
Funeral for a dear friend this afternoon, coffee group this AM. Busy week ahead. Have a wonderful day, enjoy the sunshine when it appears.

Good morning and happy National Pie Day. It's 35F on its way to 41F with dense fog. Today, it should be very cloudy with light drizzle. Trying to ward off some weird pinched nerve thing in my neck. Ugh!!!
Yesterday, on our way up to the city, we had some of the worst driving conditions I've ever seen out here. Our road is gravel and we've got a little over a mile to get to the first paved road. We have almost zero county maintenance (my tax dollars at work :banghead: ) and the road was still covered in snow (from previous weeks) ..... on top of that was ice. It would have been safer to ice skate up to the paved road. I had zero control even in 4WD and we were fortunate to not end up in a ditch. Once we hit the paved road, it was OK.
Not planning on doing much today. Not sure what's on today's menu either (maybe some pie). Be safe and be good. S.M.I.L.E.

Good morning. It's sunny and 29F, on its way to 49F. Supposed to cloud up by this afternoon. Still, not a bad day. Not a lot planned for today. Just some chores around the house (inside lol). The Mrs isn't feeling 100%, so I'm making homemade chicken noodle soup for dinner. Hope everybody has a terrific Tuesday. Be safe out there and have a great day.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 29F, on its way to 53F. It's warmer, but with that comes rain...for the next several days. Well, there goes the snow, lol. Not much planned for today. Just some futzing around. Hope everybody has a wonderful Wednesday. Be safe out there and don't forget the umbrella.

Good morning and happy National Peanut Butter Day. It's 35F on its way to 42F. Dense fog. The snow is melting and the mud season is now officially open. Got up early this morning and filled the beverage refrigerators. Did some office work. Started thinking about a garden plan. Most likely, the plan will include varieties from our inventory that we've never grown before (for reasons unknown .... other than just too many) and a few oldie but goodies. This afternoon I might futz around with fishing tackle. Roast beef sandwiches later on. Be safe and be good.

Feeling cute might just ``Futz`` around today. Walk this morning with the wife then headed to the bike shop. Putting new tires on one of my gravel bikes and drinking a couple beers. Movie tonight im sure. 66 on its way to 82 very humid which sucks but better than freezing ice and snow. I sure hope you feel better soon Jane. Have a great day and good morning.

Back