• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

=[ grantmichaels' skunkworx thread ]=

This is my thread. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My thread is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My thread, without me, is useless. Without my thread, I am useless. I must fire my grill true. I must shoot my dishes straighter than my enemy who are trying to outshoot me. I must shoot food before it shoots me. I will...

My thread and myself know that what counts in this war is not the dishes we fix, the noise or pots clanging, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hit dishes that count. We will hit...

My thread is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its photos, its visitos and its banter. I will keep my thread clean and ready, even as I am clean dirty and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My thread and myself are the defenders of my cuisine. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!​
9879E4FD-1F8D-4BB5-A472-311B4F2B5EF7-362-00000118D806EFDD.jpg

So as not to have to endure people's interpretations of the rules, I'm squatting in this hole, where there are no rules whatsoever. Feel free to share in this thread, there are no rules here. Be free.

JayT said:
You know Gadget, your oven has a thing called a broiler that would take care of searing those ribs for you.  You should give it a try.

Does broiling make you smile from ear to ear, though?
JoynersHotPeppers said:
So when you opened the lemon drop powder, how did it smell? Seriously one of my favs and the JT's point in another thread...sauce with those this year for sure!

Tasty powder. Joins Butch T and my little orange grove pepper things as having some citrus-y sweet & sour notes ...

I used it again last night on one of the bowls of the cabbage roll soup in the soup thread,actually ...
FreeportBum said:
Screw the broiler and the blow torch. Crazy bastard has a weber and an akorn yet he still chooses to boil ribs :)

First off, we had a family friend growing up who swore by boiling/braising her ribs, and she made the best ribs evar! ...

Anyways, though ... I did this for the sake of comparison and good science. I needed to see what would happen if I applied what I'd learned since last time ...

But, the experiment is indeed over. I don't believe we'll ever see sous vide ribs here, again ...

I don't expect the other rack to be miraculous today ...

I'll cook a couple of racks on the grill soon (I would do it this weekend, but I'm getting quite a haul of other goodies in terms of protein) ...

Kudos for trying again. At least they are not snotballs like last time.

If you used a sugar content BBQ rub after they came out, and then Searzalled, I bet you could imitate a bark. And if chipotle powder was in there, you'd have your smoke profile.

HAHAHA! Now you want to try again. Sorry!

That's what I was doing, actually ... I'm pretty sure brown sugar is the 1st ingredient in the Killer Hogs, and if not 1st, it's second surely ...

The withholding of salt solved the texture of the meat's surface, and the flavor of the meat is good - very good even ...

Less seasoning in the bags improved the end result too, at that length of time, a little seasoning goes a long, LONG way!!!.

But without even processing this second rack yet, I can call it ...

Don't use sous vide for ribs.

FB's right - I have the ability to do them low and slow over wood, and I will be doing them as such for the foreseeable future ...

Also, the meat handling using the bags kind of sucks balls ...

I've finally figured out how to explain it, so here goes ...

If you like pork, the pork on those ribs is fantastic. You can't go by appearance, unless you have sous vide experience to base it upon. The meat is whatever color it is, but the tenderness and juiciness is maxed out, in a way nothing would ever be after spending hours over dry heat ...

The meat on those ribs is heavenly pork - and if you want pork, it's great pork.

But if you love ribs (and ribs were my favorite food on earth throughout my entire childhood), you are going to be disappointed. It's not like eating ribs, that's a different thing, and this ain't it.

I'll caramelize some sauce to some this afternoon, which was the rest of the experiment.

They did look like juicy pork chops. Which actually, can happen to ribs cooked the wrong way on the grill too. As long as it tastes good, you always win.

JayT said:
You gotta try some of my oven ribs.  They are really good.  Of course, the smoker and grill are actually better.

Sure. Post up the basics and I'll do a rack.D doesn't rock the ribs (they give her rather instantaneous diarrhea of the explosive variety) which makes it perfect for experimenting since it's just me.

I'll do a rack of anyone's suggestion unless I find it utterly ridiculous or something ...

OK, first, let's have a drink ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423014759.073713.jpg

DRINK!

Now, I gave 'em hell ...

Moar Killer ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423015067.541410.jpg

Searzall, hit w/ Blues Hog ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423015089.430420.jpg

spread and Searzall ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423015134.129991.jpg

This end held together ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423015157.381689.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423015173.931181.jpg

Kind of ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423015191.517792.jpg

Other end left bones behind ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423015219.050359.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423015232.019682.jpg

So they were boneless ribs ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423015253.334338.jpg

I mean, much better ... still not BBQ.

Diffuser off backorder and in-hand, Snake River ship confirmation for Friday ...

And ...

We put the sous vide back in the storage pantry, for now.

I'm drinkin' and lookin'.

When a bone is that clean off the smoker it means dry meat as it has pulled clean away.

But in your sealed method I know it is not dry, and those look good!

Tasty grub, and I finally got them in the park ... but, just in the park, nothing to write home about.

You are correct, it isn't dry done this method.

I like more chew/grain in my meat, though.

What did you end up getting from the SRF sale? Or are you keeping it on the down low?

Nah, down low does not compute ...

Corned Beef Brisket 89952 2
Top Sirloin-10 oz. 35021 2
Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin 21406 1
Kurobuta Frenched Pork Chop 35356 2
Flat Iron Steak 35100 2
Tri-Tip 35083 1
Boneless Prime Rib Roast 35080 1

I called them ... lovely folks, answered phone live, #noattendant ...

Nice girl/woman, found out despite site's warning, stuff's packed on dry ice and arrives frozen these days (since merged w/ double r, i guess).

$9.99 shipping, coming from Kansas, I think ...

[quote name="grantmichaels" post="1112322" timestamp="1423016559

Nah, down low does not compute ...

Corned Beef Brisket 89952 2
Top Sirloin-10 oz. 35021 2
Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin 21406 1
Kurobuta Frenched Pork Chop 35356 2
Flat Iron Steak 35100 2
Tri-Tip 35083 1
Boneless Prime Rib Roast 35080 1
[/quote]

Nice order! I was hoping you got the tri-tip, they are fantastic IMO. And the Rib roast. :drool:

And I suck at the Internet tonight I guess. Can't even quote properly. :)

Back