Grinding herbs and spices

That is a good looking grinder, good call THP.

MB I use a coffee grinder like a lot of folks, picked it up for less than $15 new.There is a picture and some info of it on one of my previous posts, I'll see if I can find it for ya.

patrick said:
That is a good looking grinder, good call THP.

MB I use a coffee grinder like a lot of folks, picked it up for less than $15 new.There is a picture and some info of it on one of my previous posts, I'll see if I can find it for ya.
Which one the Waring?

I think this one is good for the very fine dust. Some say they do fine but it's pretty course. Fine is a powder.

thehotpepper.com said:
LOL do you work for them?

:lol:

I think he has a million shares of stock in the company! :crazy:

I do agree, if I needed to buy one do-it-all appliance, it would be attractive.

There you go, PF. Your stock should rise by a few points tomorrow!

Mike

Magic Bullet will Save some $$.......FAIL!!!! :lol:

I can't get the thing here in OZ for less than $145 delivered.......:shocked:

And it only mentions soft items in the description, nothing about hard dried berry like spices!!!!

It looks great but can it do the job I need it to do.......They mention nothing about coffee beans which is along the lines of what I want (that type of thing or harder)

I've just decided that i'm going to do a small experiment with my really crappy coffee bean grinder and see what happens.....It's crap on dried chillis so I can't see it going well with spices!!!

That's if I stiil have it!! Haven't used it in a very very long time..

I will post pics of results if I find the grinder

If that was a US auction I'd be in it.

I grind my dried peppers with a kitchen blender. It does a great job and if you use one with variable speeds you can control the size of the grind (size of the grind ... hmm.... ) - anyway, I used to use our good one for making hot sauce til I forgot to clean the gasket, now I use it strictly for making my pepper powder. Leave them in under the 'liquify' setting and you get a very find powder and it does the seeds and everything. Put in on the low mix, and you end up with a courser grind - kind of like the pepper shakers for pizza. When I take the peppers out of the dehydrator I put them in a plastic bag and crunch them up a bit by had before I put them in the blender. Should be able to pick up a good blender fairly inexpensively, or even at flea markets.
Bill

thehotpepper.com said:

That looked really good till I saw thew price tag....:shocked:

thehotpepper.com said:
I found this test of 10 coffee grinders used as spice grinders. Cool! I'm considering the DeLonghi now!
http://www.finecooking.com/articles/equipment-review-spice-grinders.aspx

Thanks for this topic Pippy, I found my grinder. $30 on average and a top performer for fine powder and all spices and peppercorns!
http://www.delonghiusa.com/index.php?product&nid=66

They have another moder with a removable cup: http://www.delonghiusa.com/index.php?product&nid=103
I'd prob. go for that.

I'm glad I was able to help.......I come up with the occasional good topic.

I will be keeping a very close eye on the ebay sale for sure!!!! :)

thehotpepper.com said:
I found this test of 10 coffee grinders used as spice grinders. Cool! I'm considering the DeLonghi now!

I use a Delonghi, although it's only the single grind one. Fill it up and it's done in a few seconds. I recommend it. I'm sure the variable grind ones are much better again.

Cool and the gang, thanks.

I bought my partner this spice grinder for his birthday a year ago and we use it all the time. I think it was only about $60 from The Good Guys and I chose it because the blades actually sit lower than other grinders giving you a finer finish. It can really powder stuff!

73d23aab2a1b4c34bdc3f1acf8cec638

I was just making some spices myself as I have been ditched for fishing tonight. So anyway I thought I'd have a look on here and I came across this thread. I had all the ingredients so I quickly whipped it up. In my opinion the cardamon and cloves are a bit too strong but I love all these spices so maybe with some fine tuning it would turn out a bit better. My tongue feels a bit numb from the cloves or perhaps that is the wine!
Anyway now that I have it what should I add it too? Any recipes?

moyboy said:
Magic Bullet will Save some $$.......FAIL!!!! :lol:

I can't get the thing here in OZ for less than $145 delivered.......:shocked:

And it only mentions soft items in the description, nothing about hard dried berry like spices!!!!

It looks great but can it do the job I need it to do.......They mention nothing about coffee beans which is along the lines of what I want (that type of thing or harder)

You can get them from places like Homeart for about $30. I think even red dotor one of those places. The only thing I don't like about them are that the rubber seal comes out after awhile and is hard to get back in. I have had a few hot sauces with chopped up rubber through it! but all in all they are good for a quick job

Back