• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2016 !!!

I have lost my mind,We are going with a top and bottom piece of sponge.A coffee filter in between that is bedding for the seeds.Put all this in dixie cups with saran wrap.This is the last attempted run for this year's throwdown,I have 2 sets of baggies going,2 peat pellets,4 in seed starter mix.And a partridge in a pear tree. :party:
DSCF9512.jpg

DSCF9514.jpg

Looks like my seeds aren't going to germinate.  No problems.  I will follow along and live vicariously through you folks.  I did order some plants from Cross Country Nurseries, so when I go over to pick them up, I might pick up a Peruvian Serlano from them.  I won't be in the contest, but I can enjoy the pepper along with the rest of you.

Even with a successful germination, this isn't the type of Growdown I would have ever hoped for.  I would even vote against this current Growdown if there aren't considerably more entrants.

For the record, my lone germination was achieved in straight Happy Frog potting soil on a heat mat.

In defense of my friends who chose the candidate.I like getting slapped back down to earth every once and awhile.If things were predictable and easy I don't think I would enjoy the hobby of growing peppers I picked up 4 years ago.I have enough people that have seeds above dirt that I will watch the grow with great interest.If my seeds have not shown by Friday I pull the plug, as that is DUMP day when I shut down the germination station.
    To all of you $astard$ that found Willy Wonka's Golden ticket in your seed packs.Good Luck,may every Hail storm that comes my way this spring,redirect itself to YOUR backyard. ;)

I first would like to say I apologize for the slow germination and or overall bad seeds. We tested the Peruvian and had almost 95 % germination rates . 

Second , we have always taken  great pride in having this competition ( not asking for any money or SASBE's ) but seeing all the negative comments has been quite depressing .

And last but not least  don't worry haters this will be our last growdown so if you guys wanna see who can grow the biggest jalapeno or bell pepper nest  by all means have at it . 

This is not directed at anyone person just me letting off a little steam so Happy Monday and stay Spicy . 

Man that sucks. Let me say that if my comment was taken the wrong way I apologize.

I appreciate all the hard work you guys have put into this and I want to say THANK YOU!!! I know you have a lot on your plate and have asked for nothing in return except for a good time.

Once again thank you and I appreciate you!

Threw the rest in coco coir and am going to see what happens. This may be the shortest growdown throwdown I've been in!

romy6 said:
I first would like to say I apologize for the slow germination and or overall bad seeds. We tested the Peruvian and had almost 95 % germination rates . 

Second , we have always taken  great pride in having this competition ( not asking for any money or SASBE's ) but seeing all the negative comments has been quite depressing .

And last but not least  don't worry haters this will be our last growdown so if you guys wanna see who can grow the biggest jalapeno or bell pepper nest  by all means have at it . 

This is not directed at anyone person just me letting off a little steam so Happy Monday and stay Spicy .
Sad to see this. I enjoyed last years and I am going to enjoy this years either way. As a participant or as an observer.

romy6 said:

First you have nothing to apologize for. You provided seed asking for nothing in return but to see people have a good time in a friendly competition. And I thank you for the opportunity to grow a type I had never considered.

I am sorry the negative comments have discouraged you and I hope you can still get some enjoyment out of this year yet.
Thank you again for the opportunity.
Cheri

Romy6, please reconsider making this the last Growdown.  You do an excellent job with this and it would be a bummer to lose this.  This was my first year joining in.  My germination skills are not the best.  That is part of the risk that I take.   I look forward to seeing how everyone's plants grow.  I have a plan B in place that I will grow the Peruvian Serlano, just not by seeds for the Growdown which eliminates me from competition but I will still get to enjoy the pepper and enjoy what everyone else is doing.  I also would like to add that I really liked the pepper selections you and team made this year. 

Thanks for everything, have a great season and please reconsider the Growdown for next year!!

bpiela said:
Romy6, please reconsider making this the last Growdown.  You do an excellent job with this and it would be a bummer to lose this.  This was my first year joining in.  My germination skills are not the best.  That is part of the risk that I take.   I look forward to seeing how everyone's plants grow.  I have a plan B in place that I will grow the Peruvian Serlano, just not by seeds for the Growdown which eliminates me from competition but I will still get to enjoy the pepper and enjoy what everyone else is doing.  I also would like to add that I really liked the pepper selections you and team made this year. 

Thanks for everything, have a great season and please reconsider the Growdown for next year!!

As long as the Peruvian Serlano seeds grow true you can get them from anyone so you will still be in the competition ,

Thank everyone  for the kind words as well 

romy6 said:

You did say smacktalk is encouraged.  :party:

We appreciate you setting this up for us romy - don't take our frustration as directed at you, more likely directed at ourselves for not getting them to sprout. I think all of us feel a little down we haven't been getting the results we wanted, and that doesn't reflect on you at all.

You didn't have to set this up for us, but we're glad you did.

Romy6,Thank you and everyone else be hide the scene for putting this growdown-throwdown on.I'm sorry if, I wrote anything that might have  :censored:  you off.I myself and a lot of other people here enjoy seeing the growdown-throwdown. There would be a great loss without it. :mope:   People need to look at the bigger picture here.This is about having funny.Now there's nothing wrong with a little smack talking,but let's put some limits in place.I tell everybody to "Don't worry be happy" Why ? We all get a chance to grow peppers.I myself try to enjoy life above ground because one day we all will be going in it.  :drunk:

romy6 said:

Do not let it get you down.  "Life's vicissitudes give us an open and equal opportunity to manifest our equanimity and our magnanimity"  and "adversity elicits in one talents, which, in more prosperous circumstances, would have lain dormant."   

As has been mentioned, I do not think anyone holds animosity toward the hosts of the contest, rather people are frustrated with their own abilities.  For my own part, I was respectfully offering what I thought might be a solution to some of the issues we have encountered in this growdown and last years (the only two I have participated in.)  I know it is a lot of trouble for you all to organize this and send out the seeds.  Also, I am aware of the phenomenon of people entering the contest early... acquiring seeds, then dropping out and not participating (thereby getting away with "free seeds".)  A solution to this would be to have everyone "invest" in the contest by purchasing their own seeds...  This would ensure confidence in the lineage as well.  Also, just now I thought of another alternative... and that is... if you were to establish who wanted to participate in the contest and have an entry deadline.  Once the deadline is passed you collect a certain amount of money from all participants via paypal or check, etc... the money is then used to purchase a bulk order of one particular variety from a known reputable vendor... and we use those seeds.  This is not meant to be taken as a criticism of the way you all currently operate the growdown, but it is merely a suggestion... respectfully ;-)  

Also... with regard to the "open" growdown proposal... i think that would be a fun side contest... we have our official contest where everyone has the same seeds... and then a side contest with an "open" section... any variety you want to grow... but the seeds must be started at the same time!!  I think it would be fun??!?!   :P

I really hope you will continue to host the growdown...  :pray:  I was going to invite my brother and cousin to participate next year!  Its great fun!  On Saturday I planted my last 22 or so peruvian serlano seeds, because I am still in it to win it!! :dance:  

Back