• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2017 Aji Lemon Drop!

This is awesome, I of course didn't know it began in January so I won't be participating but best of luck to all! I can't believe some have flowers and pods already!

Pepper-Guru said:
I'd say a fair time to chose your soldier would be at least before they are transplanted into their final growing medium for the season. For me that will be when they come out of the basement and I chose one for the air pruning container

Rich, this is why I replied to Paul in the manner I did. I guess I didn't catch the later post.

Dennis, nice specimen!

Here are my candidates so far.  They went in ground about a week ago, although they have been outdoors for over a month.  I have not chosen which will be my final yet.

Top Left and Bottom Row

20170407_172125_HDR.jpg

Scuba_Steve said:
Here are my candidates so far.  They went in ground about a week ago, although they have been outdoors for over a month.  I have not chosen which will be my final yet.

Top Left and Bottom Row

20170407_172125_HDR.jpg

PaulG said:
Looking great, Steve they should take off
now that they are in the dirt!

Lots going on in the greenhouse:
attachicon.gif
IMG_5251.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_5252.JPG
Looking sweet guys. People have pods already?! What the!?

Good luck to all participating -- I had a couple plants that survived the winter on my patio last year that I just up potted for this year and it looks like some of you are already passing their growth.
hot%20lemon02_zpssprerci5.jpg

hot%20lemon01_zpsf7lk1o2u.jpg

So, I'm not officially part of this grow.  But I wanted to share my Aji Lemon Drop contribution...
This pepper is in its 3rd year of life.  It was discovered as a volunteer, amongst some very chunky pine bark - right near where it now lives, in fact.  It was so small - about 3" tall, with about 4 leaves, and a stem that was hard and barky, at a whopping 3/16" in girth.  So, for the next 2 seasons, I kept it going in a solo cup.  It's leaves have never gotten bigger, and over the fall/winter, it actually produced a surprising number of really nice (and big!) pods. 
33124061373_df62427cea_z.jpg

Pepper-Guru said:

Looking sweet guys. People have pods already?! What the!?  My reaction, exactly. These are the most productive
and aggressively pod-setting peppers I've grown.  Reminds me of the Aji Amarillo - every flower sets a pod!

solid7 said:
So, I'm not officially part of this grow.  But I wanted to share my Aji Lemon Drop contribution...
This pepper is in its 3rd year of life.  It was discovered as a volunteer, amongst some very chunky pine bark - right near where it now lives, in fact.  It was so small - about 3" tall, with about 4 leaves, and a stem that was hard and barky, at a whopping 3/16" in girth.  So, for the next 2 seasons, I kept it going in a solo cup.  It's leaves have never gotten bigger, and over the fall/winter, it actually produced a surprising number of really nice (and big!) pods. 

Great bronchi candidate there, 7.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Getting happy inside, if it fruits may stay in here all year :)  
Looks like their happy place to me!  Beautiful looking plants,
Chris!

Well *place vulgar expletive here*. Had my bigger peppers out on the deck during the day this last week to soak in some early hardening and naked sunshine.

Came up from the studio and found all but the aji lemon drop still on the table and a gale blowing in from nowhere.

Someone on the internet said that without pics it didn't happen. I'm going with that.

I'm not out, just down. I'm transplanting my little bruised queen into a 5 gallon, she won't tip so easy then... :tear:

stettoman said:
Well *place vulgar expletive here*. Had my bigger peppers out on the deck during the day this last week to soak in some early hardening and naked sunshine.

Came up from the studio and found all but the aji lemon drop still on the table and a gale blowing in from nowhere.

Someone on the internet said that without pics it didn't happen. I'm going with that.

Couldn't put a ​like on this one, bro   :tear: . Sorry to hear 
about the Aji LD's mishap. I lose a  branch off 
one or two my bigger plants to a blow-off-the-table wind
episode every season, or to moving them around when 
they are too big, so I feel your pain, brother.   But you know
what?  Those plants have come roaring back to be some 
of the most hearty and bushy plants in my grow.  Your Aji
will come out of it with a little TLC, but not too much!  If you 
have any bent or bruised branches,you can splint them so 
the branch heals faster and straighter.  I have had good luck 
with that in the past.

I'm not out, just down. I'm transplanting my little bruised queen into a 5 gallon, she won't tip so easy then... :tear: 
You go, boy!   :metal: 

I wasn't aware of the splinting thing, Paul. Do broken branches graft well? Lost maybe 20 or 25 flower buds, these aji lemon drops really pump out the blossoms!

Matt, you got me with the naval jelly as a root ball strengthener. Fool me once.... ;)

Leaves are falling off everywhere and look exactly like this.......
crap!.jpg

Bacterial leaf spot???!!!!

:point:
Malarky said:
Super Glue onto the open wound should help patch any broken branches back on. :liar:
   :lol:   Sounds reasonable to me

stettoman said:
I wasn't aware of the splinting thing, Paul. Do broken branches graft well? Lost maybe 20 or 25 flower buds, these aji lemon drops really pump out the blossoms!
Yeah, buddy. I've repaired some stems that were bent pretty bad, even partially broken.
They are pretty resilient.  I didn't treat the injury with anything else, just the splints.
Matt, you got me with the naval jelly as a root ball strengthener. Fool me once.... ;)

Crazy Monkey said:
Leaves are falling off everywhere and look exactly like this.......
attachicon.gif
crap!.jpg

Bacterial leaf spot???!!!!

That would be my guess, without looking it up.

Whatever it is, just cut off any
leaves with signs of it as soon as you notice it.  That might
help stop the spread.  Also, keep plants separated so they
are not rubbing on each other  :oops:  I mean so they have a little
space.  Also to help stop spread.  I had the BLS issue last season.  
It worked out in the long run, but it is a pia for sure.

:point:
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Nah, just fear of bigger plants ;)
:scared:    

Devv said:
Sorry about the bounce Eric, it will do fine ;)

Weekly update, my gal:

Wow, Scottie, she's loving the Tejas sun!  Awesome busy specimen, brother   :clap:

Back