• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2017 Aji Lemon Drop!

Crazy Monkey said:
Leaves are falling off everywhere and look exactly like this.......
attachicon.gif
crap!.jpg

Bacterial leaf spot???!!!!

For sure or fungal. Sulphur works wonders for that.

stettoman said:
Well *place vulgar expletive here*. Had my bigger peppers out on the deck during the day this last week to soak in some early hardening and naked sunshine.

Came up from the studio and found all but the aji lemon drop still on the table and a gale blowing in from nowhere.

Someone on the internet said that without pics it didn't happen. I'm going with that.

I'm not out, just down. I'm transplanting my little bruised queen into a 5 gallon, she won't tip so easy then... :tear:

I've decided to name my aji lemon drop. Her name is officially HUMPTY. As in yes, that guy. A couple days ago was found on the deck after a 3 1/2 foot drop test, today she goes back out into the sunshine and...

:woohoo:

17861768_278992355883390_8846724560180956874_n.jpg

Noah Yates said:
Here is a shot of my two lemon drops after being transplanted.   I have no chance of winning, but its still fun to participate.  :party:

A contraire, mon frère! The excitement is in the growing - and if you
have an awesome long harvest season, Who knows?  Those are nice,
​healthy looking plants that should hit their stride about plant-out time!

attachicon.gif
IMG_0506.JPG

stettoman said:

I've decided to name my aji lemon drop. Her name is officially HUMPTY. As in yes, that guy. A couple days ago was found on the deck after a 3 1/2 foot drop test, today she goes back out into the sunshine and...   :woohoo:

Awesome.  I can see swellings at the leaf nodes.  
I bet it turns out to be an awesome plant!

​Did you have to do any repair work?

:point:
Devv said:
Humpty looks no worse for wear. Or did you just put her back together again? ;)

No Scott, she lost an entire branch off the main, with two secondaries coming off of that.

It was in a dumpster before I was clued about the super glue....

Humpty is a bushy thing, went there virtually as it came out of the ground. Lots of branches left, and yeah Paul, a long season will make this competition brisk and a lot of fun.

Only thing, Humpty's leaves are thinner than a lot of the lemon drop plants I see in this thread. Healthy as all get out, but slender.

solid7 said:
Sulfur for bacterial leaf spot??? Are you sure about that?
Certain in fact. It's one of the most widely used organic fungicide/bactericides, along with copper. I've used it for around 20 years now in my garden. Mix some of that with pyrethrin (for aphids) and you're good to go. Look it up. Some of my favorite stuff is Bonide's fruit nut and orchard spray. You can easily make your own though.

Pepper-Guru said:
Certain in fact. It's one of the most widely used organic fungicide/bactericides, along with copper. I've used it for around 20 years now in my garden. Mix some of that with pyrethrin (for aphids) and you're good to go. Look it up. Some of my favorite stuff is Bonide's fruit nut and orchard spray. You can easily make your own though.

I'll give it a shot...
otherwise...
deadjim.jpg

Pepper-Guru said:
I'm asking because bacterial spot is not some mamby pamby ailment - it's really serious shit, if it's not caught VERY early. And while I have heard of many people using sulfur as a minor fungicide, typically bacterial spot is treated with copper. (and it's very difficult if not impossible to get rid of, once it gets a good foothold)
Not to be a doubter, but are you referring to bacterial spot as any minor spots on the leaf, or are we talking about the bacterial spot that is a little more like plant leprosy?

I guess I should get started huh :rofl:

I'm so behind this year it's not even funny. Been so busy with everything else and then we were going out of town this past week. I plan to get a jump on all growing operations this weekend.

solid7 said:
I'm asking because bacterial spot is not some mamby pamby ailment - it's really serious shit, if it's not caught VERY early. And while I have heard of many people using sulfur as a minor fungicide, typically bacterial spot is treated with copper. (and it's very difficult if not impossible to get rid of, once it gets a good foothold)
Not to be a doubter, but are you referring to bacterial spot as any minor spots on the leaf, or are we talking about the bacterial spot that is a little more like plant leprosy?
Good questions, I'd like to know more about
this, too, as I (well, my plants ;) )had a bad
bout of BLS last season.  I have Bonide Fruit,
Nut, and Orchard spray, but never thought about
using it for BLS.

Ozzy2001 said:
I guess I should get started huh :rofl:

I'm so behind this year it's not even funny. Been so busy with everything else and then we were going out of town this past week. I plan to get a jump on all growing operations this weekend.

Never too late, buddy!  It's a long season   :party:

Good luck getting up and running, Scott!

solid7 said:
I'm asking because bacterial spot is not some mamby pamby ailment - it's really serious shit, if it's not caught VERY early. And while I have heard of many people using sulfur as a minor fungicide, typically bacterial spot is treated with copper. (and it's very difficult if not impossible to get rid of, once it gets a good foothold).Not to be a doubter, but are you referring to bacterial spot as any minor spots on the leaf, or are we talking about the bacterial spot that is a little more like plant leprosy?

PaulG said:
Good questions, I'd like to know more about
this, too, as I (well, my plants ;) )had a bad
bout of BLS last season.  I have Bonide Fruit,
Nut, and Orchard spray, but never thought about
using it for BLS.

Never too late, buddy!  It's a long season   :party:

Good luck getting up and running, Scott!
Yes. One of the most widely studied bactericides along with copper. Granted there are types of bacteria and fungi that aren't inhibited by either sulfur or copper, but if you've got something that bad, it's best to cut your losses. I've even read that after some bacterial and fungal infections, after a seemingly successful recovery, that the seeds from future fruits aren't safe. I've put that to the test and haven't noticed any disease passed onto seedlings grown from said seeds. Without a microscope and a healthy knack for identifying micro organisms, you're left to your own judgement anyway. Both fungal and bacterial spot can look very similar to the average gardener.

I personally believe that a healthy soil environment will serve to take care of most disease in a garden. Some years are worse than others, how much rain we get, where Insource my wood chips from etc. All variables but generally, if the soil is thriving, the plants' immune systems breeze through without any symptoms of disease or pest damage.

Everyone's plants are looking good.

Potted up the two girls already have a few pods on them both. Mixed up a new batch of soil. Had to repot the 180 plants, I just planted last month. Mixwas not right. So I decided to repot the LD's into the new mix as well. Will repot again in a few weeks or so.

Attachments

• IMG_1441.JPG
    IMG_1441.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1446.JPG
    IMG_1446.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 53
Crazy Monkey said:
Here's mine with all of the infected leaves removed. Its now 1/2 bald...
attachicon.gif
BALDING.JPG
attachicon.gif
BALDING-2.JPG
Good work, Dean!  Your plant will fare much better
without having to support a bunch of diseased leaves.  
At the first sign of any other leaf problem, remove the
offending leaf to minimize spreading.

Back