• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2017 Aji Lemon Drop!

PaulG said:
"Averaging between 4 and 6 flowers per node"   :shocked: 

:eek:  Wha'..... I thought flowers per node was more or less a genetic trait.
How can you have 4-6 per node, mine only has one, or maybe two rarely.
Maybe if I feed heavily with bloom food, I would get more pods per node.

No. From my experience, genetics certainly play a role in plant structure and how that plant throws clusters of flowers i.e. Asian anuums etc
See my rooster spur?
9112973386_b9060bf950_b_d.jpg

9294831312_f1a5b4c9a3_b_d.jpg

but flowers per bunch/node is generally an environmental thing. Completely balanced nutrient content within a living soil always produces a damn bunch of flowers. Check this yellow 7 Pod was fed some stanky fish hydrolysate and compost slurry and boom. So many flowers, some even Siamese twinned.

9041865465_a5cbfef491_b_d.jpg

PaulG said:
Have yu had some cold nights, Eric?  That seems to
be the thing that affected my LDs.  They are full sun tolerant,
so the rays were never a problem earlier.  Only after a couple
of cold nights (35˚) did they start looking crappy.  They are
starting to put out new veg growth as well as setting pods,
so I hope the upcoming week of decent weather will see
them beef up a little.

Maybe there is still hope for you my friend!

Naw Paul, this is all on me, I motherhenned pretty much all my plants to this stage. The younger ones were lucky and suffered nute-lock, stayed small and relatively alive. The larger ones got over-ferted too, but I don't think they had that ability to go into stasis like the kiddies did. I more or less drowned them. The lemon drop took the brunt of it, I went to that healthy little bugger in a gardeners version of Munchausen's Syndrome.

I've always treated my crops in a "let go and let God" approach. Starting plants in December triggered a protective chromosome that came close to tragedy.

SWMBO is taking hog-tying classes at the adult education center this week. We'll see if she'll need to use the new skills on me....

By the bye, like Rich, my lemon drop when healthy was producing between 3 and 6 flowers per node as well. We all grew from the same source seed, yes?

OK gentlemen, I just picked all the pods off the plant that I suspect will be my contest plant. I just can't stand seeing all the energy go to pods before plant out...there's been almost no vegetative growth in a few weeks.

So I guess I better weigh them eh? In case it turns out to be my contest plant. I assume stems on? also, grams or ounces?

ColdSmoke said:
OK gentlemen, I just picked all the pods off the plant that I suspect will be my contest plant. I just can't stand seeing all the energy go to pods before plant out...there's been almost no vegetative growth in a few weeks.

So I guess I better weigh them eh? In case it turns out to be my contest plant. I assume stems on? also, grams or ounces?
I vote grams, we can all do the math to ounces :) I see no reason why a normal stem is not acceptable unless you are keeping and weighing branches ;)

stettoman said:
Good on ya, Dennis!

I'm down, but not out--The entry I tried to kill is showing defiance and creating some node action!

Unfortunately I failed to weight the pods I removed. That's alright, wait till this critter finds stride!!
Cheers! A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as they say!

Sure your plant will come out all guns blazing now, lemon drops are hard to kill... the Steven Segal of the chilli world!

stettoman said:
Good on ya, Dennis!

I'm down, but not out--The entry I tried to kill is showing defiance and creating some node action!
Same here, buddy - will try to get a pic up here real soon.

Unfortunately I failed to weight the pods I removed. That's alright, wait till this critter finds stride!!

Back