• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2018 Yellow Brain Strain!

The Hot Pepper said:
Extreme Membership or renewal to winner. Someone just PM me, I mean, it's kinda far off. :rofl:
I've also awarded an Extreme to Pepper-Guru for hosting such a great event. :cheers:

This contest just got a whole lot better! Thank you THP.  :clap:  :cheers:  :metal:

tctenten said:
Your a good man Pookie.
He sure is. 

This is going to be fun. 

These plants were the biggest ones in my garden this year. Much bigger than the Aji Lemon Drop by far. 
Huge limbs that spread out and laid on the ground, full of fruit, followed by huge skyscraper branches shooting straight up from the center of the plant. 

Here's a couple pod shots that show the main shape and texture of the pods. Most pods grow Shaped exactly like the Brain Strain, while 10 percent or so, get funky/irregular towards the bottoms.

34757120704_5778e91395_b.jpg

9467028044_2fb61f0f16_c.jpg

29007518880_b2f619e949_b.jpg

36575971565_6b08441228_b.jpg

Here's a shot of early plant structure. Shot taken on June 28th. 

35559743506_6aed23b78f_b.jpg

And then here's a video of it in the beginning of October:

https://youtu.be/QUXlyIaeh3Q?t=2m14s

https://flic.kr/p/22xsJkH

Pepper-Guru said:

This contest just got a whole lot better! Thank you THP.  :clap:  :cheers:  :metal:

He sure is. 

This is going to be fun. 

These plants were the biggest ones in my garden this year. Much bigger than the Aji Lemon Drop by far. 
Huge limbs that spread out and laid on the ground, full of fruit, followed by huge skyscraper branches shooting straight up from the center of the plant. 

Here's a couple pod shots that show the main shape and texture of the pods. Most pods grow Shaped exactly like the Brain Strain, while 10 percent or so, get funky/irregular towards the bottoms.

34757120704_5778e91395_b.jpg

9467028044_2fb61f0f16_c.jpg

29007518880_b2f619e949_b.jpg

36575971565_6b08441228_b.jpg

Here's a shot of early plant structure. Shot taken on June 28th. 

35559743506_6aed23b78f_b.jpg

And then here's a video of it in the beginning of October:

https://youtu.be/QUXlyIaeh3Q?t=2m14s

https://flic.kr/p/22xsJkH

Plant at 3:11?Birgit's?? That is a great baccatum that I don't see many folks grow.

Pr0digal_son said:

Plant at 3:11?Birgit's?? That is a great baccatum that I don't see many folks grow.
Actually, funny you ask. Those came from a Malarky. He sent me one of my favorites, the Aribibi Gusano and three plants out of 12 or so germinated, ended up being crosses. So I came out with these three different caterpillars this year. Even a peach one:

37730280662_920faec65f_b.jpg

Walchit said:
Guru is supplying seed from his own stock
Yep. Just picked the pods and now I'm sitting at the dining room table extracting seeds for drying and shipping :) Should be Mon-Tues before I start getting them out. 

Current situation: 

38381867064_a28cce9054_b.jpg

Full disclosure:
Consider these open pollinated. These are fruits from both over wintered plants I had this year from last year. These fruits are the ones that were pollinated sometime after the bugs were long gong and it had been cooler for about a month. So lets say from November 1st'ish to present. I usually have time to net things but that last little cold snap ended everything for me. I may be able to salvage some root stock out there, but its doubtful. Point is, these aren't isolated like I usually spend time doing, so don't be surprised if you get a retarded sister in the bunch. Grow a bunch and pick your favorite is the safest bet :) 

How are you going to send the seeds? I'm thinking address information and such. 

I live in Denmark, so it's quite a long shipment, but of course I'll pay for the shipment. 

I don't mind the open pollinated seeds! (That way I have an excuse to start even more plants than I planned)

I'll send them anywhere, just can't guarantee they'll arrive! Or how long it will take for that matter. Anyone is welcome to join. PM address if interested. 

Seeds are dry. Shipping out Monday. 

DK Peppers said:
How are you going to send the seeds? I'm thinking address information and such. 

I live in Denmark, so it's quite a long shipment, but of course I'll pay for the shipment. 

I don't mind the open pollinated seeds! (That way I have an excuse to start even more plants than I planned)

BaliHotPepper said:
I live in Bali. Can i join in?

EDIT: 
For the international members, I'll be stealth packaging inside of our family christmas cards or something. 

Pepper-Guru said:
I'll send them anywhere, just can't guarantee they'll arrive! Or how long it will take for that matter. Anyone is welcome to join. PM address if interested. 

Seeds are dry. Shipping out Monday. 

EDIT: 
For the international members, I'll be stealth packaging inside of our family christmas cards or something. 

PM sent.
Thanks Guru

KAOS said:
Is this Northern Hemisphere only?

World wide.  The warm months may differ, but everybody has exactly one trip around the sun to log their results.  You also have the option to bring them indoors if you are so inclined.

Mike

Pepper-Guru said:
All seeds have to be from same source! As it stands now, YBS wins by one. Waiting on Mill or THP to close the poll and rename the thread to reflect the variety. Post editing permissions suck big time around here lately. I have seeds for everyone if everyone is ok with that. Otherwise we all order from an agreed upon vender, but yeah. All seeds must come from same stock. Also, seeds cant hit water or dirt before Jan 1st 2018

Just read this about seeds from the same stock.  Why is that a requirement?  Isn't part of the fun, how well different seeds of the same strain perform?  I already ordered seeds from an online vendor, but will submit my address to you in PM and respectfully request some seeds.

If the idea is to create a level playing field, we are in different parts of the world, different soils, different temperatures, different knowledge levels.  I'd submit their is no level playing field, so end rant / same stock seems too restrictive and unneeded IMHO.

Mike

Back