• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Grower's pics from ABM.

ABurningMouth said:
Thanks my unnatural friend. ;)
Well if you or anyone else needs more info or help, please come to me.
I know why it works, what won't work, and can probably help diagnose any probs.

I can't read every post on this site. I mainly stick to the growing section. I'm scared to go to the Lounge (jk).
I've been doing the wick stuff for about 4-5 years now.
You don't have to worry about overwatering with this way because the wick pulls the water down to a lower water table

A couple goat weed peppers I can't wait to get ripe and clip off. Maybe I should just eat them instead of messing with saving the seeds.
pichur129.jpg

pichur123b.jpg

Computers aren't evil, just the people who use them.​
Here's another Goat's weed that is coming back nicely after major surgery and burnt leaves.
pichur131.jpg

And this is supposed to be a black Pearl, but it looks like the leaves are too pointy. It's the only one that survived a failed experiment. It was the strongest. I wonder what the pods will look like.
pichur132.jpg

This is a couple shots of one of my hybrids called Purple Bullet. ™
pichur124.jpg
pichur125.jpg

This one was a surprise to me this week when it wouldn't change to red.
It just goes from purple to orange. That's it - just 2 colors. I'm stoked.
It's called Little Purple Orange. ©
pichur126.jpg
pichur127.jpg

And another one of my hybrids called Lil' Black Beauty®.
It's a 3-way cross.
It has black round-tipped leaves(from Black Pearl) and purple-turning-to-red pods(from Bolivian Rainbow) on a very short plant(from Prairie Fire).
pichur130.jpg
pichur128.jpg

Better shots of this and more of their siblings later. :cool:

ABurningMouth said:
And this is supposed to be a black Pearl, but it looks like the leaves are too pointy. It's the only one that survived a failed experiment. It was the strongest. I wonder what the pods will look like.
pichur132.jpg

Nice plants and crosses ABM. This one looks more like a Bolivian Rainbow.

ABurningMouth said:
No No-
This is my own original hybrid. I just made that name up.

Ooooh, I see. Very pretty. Is this the first try at them or are they something you've done before? My apologies if this was somewhere earlier in the thread - I got bit behind in reading all of them.

ABM,

Here is my first project with your plants as my inspiration. What do you think? Anything you see that would be problematic?

I used two DVD tower covers, duct tape the bottom of one so it wouldnt drop all the way in. Filled with coco coir and am using some rope i had as the wick, i tested and it had good wicking speed and has been keeping the coco moist. I'm currently using 1/4 strength hydro gro nutes with micro. Thought i'd try this out with an easy growing plant, brittle wax garden beans. Sowed 3 days ago and they are already breaking through.
passivebeans1.JPG

passivebeans.JPG

UnNatural said:
I used two DVD tower covers, duct tape the bottom of one so it wouldnt drop all the way in. Filled with coco coir and am using some rope i had as the wick...

Brilliant! Love the $0 projects. Maybe keep the light out of the resevoir - worried about algae?? Disclaimer: I know nothing about hydro stuff.

Very nice inventions you have made there UnNatural. I am extremely impressed. Thanks for doing this.
Good idea with the foil too. :cool:
You have further inspired me to create and display some more of mine too.
ABurningMouth said:
This one was a surprise to me this week when it wouldn't change to red.
It just goes from purple to orange. That's it - just 2 colors. I'm stoked.
It's called Little Purple Orange. ©
pichur126.jpg
pichur127.jpg

Ok so I was wrong. This happens to me on here sometimes.:oops:
It finally turned red. It took a long time though. It was orange for at least 7 days.

caroltlw said:
Brilliant! Love the $0 projects. Maybe keep the light out of the resevoir - worried about algae?? Disclaimer: I know nothing about hydro stuff.

Word. $0 projects always make me happy. I have foil wrapped around the res to prevent light, just had it open on the top pic to show the inner workings of my highly advanced hydro system. :cool:

ABurningMouth said:
Very nice inventions you have made there UnNatural. I am extremely impressed. Thanks for doing this.
Good idea with the foil too. :cool:
You have further inspired me to create and display some more of mine too.

Ok so I was wrong. This happens to me on here sometimes.:oops:
It finally turned red. It took a long time though. It was orange for at least 7 days.

Thanks ABM.

Are your going to rename it to Little purple patient red?

Here's a rare update to my log grow. Sorry pics 250k to 390k. (from original 2.3meg)
This first one is of the unknown plant that came from a black pearl pod. I showed it earlier in this thread. Most of these pics show great plant progress. I pinched this one to try to make it bushier yesterday. It could get very tall.
blackpod.jpg

Another shot of it's mates in a wickbox.
cap1546zavblackpodpurbul.jpg

A close-up of purple bullet. The pods ripen to a dark magenta.
purplebullet.jpg

A slightly blurred teaser of a monster cap1546.
cap1546closeup.jpg

⇓ ↓

These self-watering deck containers work great for production as long as you keep the reservoir full.
The big black pearl relative is a nice improvement as far as eating is concerned; the fruits are bigger, the plant is taller, and I think they taste better. But it doesn't produce the large clusters, so production is actually less I think. At least the first year.
This Cap1546 is like a hedge though.
cap1546.jpg

Some goat's weed stuck in the middle.
blackpenopurplebulletzavorycap1546go.jpg

Same Cap1546 next to a zavory (mild c.chinense) that has yet to produce pods.
cap1546zavory.jpg

An update of my exciting Lil' Black Beauty (rainbow x black pearl x prairie fire)
Still small but gots pods.
lilblackbeautyhotpepper.jpg

This goat's weed's pods are too large and deformed to be a pure blood. I mean these things are huge. Click the first pic below to make it a little bigger.

It's still hard to see scale, but here's another shot.
oddgoatweedclose.jpg

These volunteer rainbows are trying to take over the place from my pimente de neyde and datil. The light green annuum plant among the purple ones came from the same pod as the others. The datil is slightly darker green.
rainbowvolunteersdatilpimentedeneyde.jpg

I'm real happy to finally have a nearly ripe Pimente de neyde. I want to grow lots of these. Now if I could only tell if it is ripe.
pimente.jpg

Back