• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing peppers in the north! Hydro all day everyday.

Hi all pepper enthusiasts. 

I live in Scandinavian, or more precisely in Denmark, where unfortunately the weather can be pretty brutal. Ironic we currently have the hottest sommer I can remember. However, I can't rely on the weather all year round, especially because I don't have a garden. 

So I decided to upgrade my old windowsill garden, to a better hydro setup. This way I can grow year round :)
My setup consist of: 
Grow tent: Homebox Vista medium.
Light: Quantum board 260W LED. 
Drip irrigation system with drain to waste. 
Air intake: Black Orchide Ø 150mm
Air circulation: Secret Garden Monkey Fan 30W
Water pump: Micro-Jet MC 450 Oxy Pump
Medium: Rockwool 
The brain of the system is my Sonoff 4channel Pro with this I control everything by my phone, both light timers, water and circulation timers. 

Plants as of 12th July: 
Lemon Drop
Tabasco 
Thunder mountain Longhorn
7pot Primo (seeds from Troy).
Peachgum V3
Numex Vaquero (Jalapeno). 

Then I have a tomato plant and just started some strawberry seeds. 
In the next days im going to start a different tomato plant (Yellow pear) and plant seeds for Bahamian Goat(to replace the Longhorn)!

Now, to the exiting part, pictures! 

First picture is my whole setup. Grow tent, plants and water bucket. 
1.jpg

Next we have a closer look to the plants. 
2.jpg

Here we have the left part of the tent, with the lemon drop, tomato plant and Vaquero, you can also see the circulation fan.
3.jpg

Right side of the tent. With Thunder Mountain longhorn, Tabasco, Peachgum, Primo 
4.jpg

Closeup of the Lemon drop, I just harvested her today. Love this pepper. 
5.jpg

Here is the Scoville King in the tent, the Primo 
6.jpg

My Jalapeño (Numex Vaquero) I hope he produces more later, this is his first set of fruits. 
7.jpg

Thunder Mountain Longhorn. Easily the best producer in the tent (contested by the lemon drop) but most fruits ripen up to be soft with black seeds :/ To be replaced by the Bahamian Goat in the future. 
8.jpg

And my tabasco 
9.jpg

This is my "tools"
10.jpg

Some fitting decoration of the grow room 
11.jpg

And lastly the system all works because of this little box. 
12.jpg

My plan for this Glog is to hopefully grow peppers all year and I have some crossing ideas (Hello mr. Bahamian Goat) im planning to do here as well. Maybe some can assist with future hydro problems as well, as this is my very first time trying to grow this way :)
Here is the first few peppers from today going in the dryer! Along with some Gengish Kahns brain from the freezer. 
13.jpg

lespaulde said:

I've heard so much good about the sugar rush, I've originally bought them at whitehotpeppers (they don't even sell them anymore) a long time ago. Hopefully the long ripening time can make up for it :). I saw that you also started growing them, I'll be sure to do a proper review when my first pod ripens up. I also saw you had success with the Orange spice, sounds very interesting with a very hot jalapeño, perhaps I should try that variety sometime. 

Do you have any hydroponics going on in the winter period? 

So im going to travel tomorrow, that means the tent is going to care for it self. Last year it lasted 14days without trouble, so this time should be easy with just a week. However the plants are still growing, meaning their water uptake is still increasing, so it should be exiting. A few updates!

Now for some pod pics!
IMG-4753.jpg

My lemon spice is doing great. The best looking plant imo, with quite a few pods already. Very exicited for these. (https://www.semillas.de)

IMG-4754.jpg

Aji Fantasy starting to pod out. Biggest plant in the tent, and also the one needing most water. May have to increase the drippers on this one.
Seeds from (https://www.fataliiseeds.net)

IMG-4755.jpg

Sugar rush peach, first plant to set pods, and the one with the biggest pods. Also pretty prolific. Seeds from (whitehotpeppers.com)

*same post

IMG-4756.jpg

First pod on my piment de pardon, cant wait to eat these! seeds from (plantekasse.dk) 

IMG-4757.jpg

And lastly my Peruvian Giallo Arancio which should be a smaller Aji Amarillo pepper. Earlier this year I tried to grow the Amarillo with no luck or maybe I was to impatient. This have set its first pod, which I far better than I ever did with the Amarillo. Hope it taste the same :). Seeds from (https://www.fataliiseeds.net).

The last plant is my Serrano, which haven't set any pods yet, its starting to flower however, so it should be on its way :)
So im going to travel tomorrow, that means the tent is going to care for it self. Last year it lasted 14days without trouble, so this time should be easy with just a week. However the plants are still growing, meaning their water uptake is still increasing, so it should be exiting. A few updates!

IMG-4752.jpg

Quick overview

Happy travels, MF!

Are the Grodan blocks reusable, or are they one and done.

Im back after a weeks vacation, and my tent seems to confirm my slowly learnt lesson - that less is truly more, at least when it comes to growing peppers. They have thrived without my meddling, and the progress is awesome to see, especially when I haven't seen the tent in a week!
Lets look at some peppers!

IMG-5286.jpg

Quick overview from last week. The Serrano (middel front) have been cut 5min before this picture, it had almost growed out of this tent. 

IMG-5287.jpg

The lemon spice is full of pots, here are the biggest, growing almost to perfect :D 

IMG-5288.jpg

The Aji Fantasy is sprawling with pods, and is in need of another water dripper, still waiting for my order from AliExpress. Love the shape of this pepper, cant wait to cross it with something. 

IMG-5289.jpg

The Sugar rush Peach is a beast pod-wise. Still a relatively little plant as seen in the overview picture but have lots and lots of big pods! 

IMG-5290.jpg

My pigment de pardon are doing well aswell, but might also need another dripper, its looking a bit too pale. Looking forward to roast these. 

IMG-5291.jpg

The Peruvian Giallo Arancio is growing very strongly, big plant with a thick stem, and have set a handfull of pods that's starting to grow bigger. I have very high hopes for this one. 

IMG-5292.jpg
t

Lastly my Serrano, witch as I mentioned grew too tall, but at least its starting to set pods! 

Welcome home, Rasmus!

Glad to see the tent plants going so well.
Are the Grodan blocks reusable?

PaulG said:
Welcome home, Rasmus!

Glad to see the tent plants going so well.
Are the Grodan blocks reusable?

Thanks Paul, and sorry I didn't answer the question before, it slipped my mind. But yes! There are a few ways to do it, I saw one grower on YouTube, chopping the blocks up and using them again. I tend to throw out the whole plant, and simply buying new blocks as they are pretty cheap. I like the feeling of starting completely fresh with new plant and new block. But the short answer is yes, I think the YouTuber was Everest Fernandez. He have the best videos on the blocks, very educational. 

Hey MF, hope your vacation was good!  The plants are looking great.  The lemon spice pods look almost too perfect and the fantasy and SRP pods look really great as well.  And the leaf color on the Giallo Arancio.  You must be doing something right.

But really, 'less is more' is a tough sell in the pepper growing world, when more is, quite literally, more:)

Definitely a lesson I struggle with, but one that pays off.

CaneDog said:
Hey MF, hope your vacation was good!  The plants are looking great.  The lemon spice pods look almost too perfect and the fantasy and SRP pods look really great as well.  And the leaf color on the Giallo Arancio.  You must be doing something right.

But really, 'less is more' is a tough sell in the pepper growing world, when more is, quite literally, more:)

Definitely a lesson I struggle with, but one that pays off.

It was excellent thank you! Haha so true, I guess the thing im doing right is not doing anything at all, maybe they prefer the silence  :P
But yea, its tough when you want to optimize all and everything all the time  :P
Btw, I'll pm you about those seeds we talked about last week  :dance:

I noticed the Pimento de Padron in one of your pics above.
I love those peppers. I like to roast them on the bbq when
they are about 2" (5cm) long, and still green. Toss 'em in a
bowl with some salt and eat while still hot along with some
nice lager   :drooling:   When they turn red, the heat level increases
dramatically, and the dried red pods make great powder.
I'm growing three plants next season!

PaulG said:
I noticed the Pimento de Padron in one of your pics above.
I love those peppers. I like to roast them on the bbq when
they are about 2" (5cm) long, and still green. Toss 'em in a
bowl with some salt and eat while still hot along with some
nice lager   :drooling:   When they turn red, the heat level increases
dramatically, and the dried red pods make great powder.
I'm growing three plants next season!

I looove them! I usually throw them on the pan with some olive oil and salt before serving, really delicious. How ever, they say 1 in 10 have some heat. All mine but two have been pretty hot so far, even when green. 

Mildfruit said:

I looove them! I usually throw them on the pan with some olive oil and salt before serving, really delicious. How ever, they say 1 in 10 have some heat. All mine but two have been pretty hot so far, even when green. 

As they say in Spain- "Pimientos de Padrón, de cada cinco sale uno cabrón:mouthonfire:

Update, I have been crazy busy, so im glad the tent is managing itself. Been snacking on the padron pepper, they are quite hot, even as green.

IMG-5308.jpg

The plant are quick at producing luckily. 

IMG-5311.jpg

The Lemon spice are starting to turn! Unfortunately the pods are quite small. I hope the next round of pods are getting a bit bigger :) 

IMG-5310.jpg

The Sugar rush peach are filled with pots, but unfortunately im a bit colorblind, so I cannot see when they turn. My girlfriend are telling me that the lower most pod are starting to turn. Really looking forward to tasting this variety.

IMG-5312.jpg

My Serrano are finally starting to put up pods. Been the slowest plant in the tent, but things are looking good now. Tasted a green pod, it was great sliced onto pizza :) 

IMG-5313.jpg

Aji Fantasy. The bigger pods should turn any day now, cant wait to taste and cross this variety. 

IMG-5314.jpg

The Peruvian Giallo Arancio are also getting lots of pods. I've heard this variety taste similar to aji Amarillo, but also take its time to ripen. 

Lastly im starting to cross my peppers, and for the first time, my crossed peppers have started to grow! Very excited, its an aspect of pepper growing I've always wanted to explore. Fingers crossed :) 

Back