• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing peppers in the north! Hydro all day everyday.

Hi all pepper enthusiasts. 

I live in Scandinavian, or more precisely in Denmark, where unfortunately the weather can be pretty brutal. Ironic we currently have the hottest sommer I can remember. However, I can't rely on the weather all year round, especially because I don't have a garden. 

So I decided to upgrade my old windowsill garden, to a better hydro setup. This way I can grow year round :)
My setup consist of: 
Grow tent: Homebox Vista medium.
Light: Quantum board 260W LED. 
Drip irrigation system with drain to waste. 
Air intake: Black Orchide Ø 150mm
Air circulation: Secret Garden Monkey Fan 30W
Water pump: Micro-Jet MC 450 Oxy Pump
Medium: Rockwool 
The brain of the system is my Sonoff 4channel Pro with this I control everything by my phone, both light timers, water and circulation timers. 

Plants as of 12th July: 
Lemon Drop
Tabasco 
Thunder mountain Longhorn
7pot Primo (seeds from Troy).
Peachgum V3
Numex Vaquero (Jalapeno). 

Then I have a tomato plant and just started some strawberry seeds. 
In the next days im going to start a different tomato plant (Yellow pear) and plant seeds for Bahamian Goat(to replace the Longhorn)!

Now, to the exiting part, pictures! 

First picture is my whole setup. Grow tent, plants and water bucket. 
1.jpg

Next we have a closer look to the plants. 
2.jpg

Here we have the left part of the tent, with the lemon drop, tomato plant and Vaquero, you can also see the circulation fan.
3.jpg

Right side of the tent. With Thunder Mountain longhorn, Tabasco, Peachgum, Primo 
4.jpg

Closeup of the Lemon drop, I just harvested her today. Love this pepper. 
5.jpg

Here is the Scoville King in the tent, the Primo 
6.jpg

My Jalapeño (Numex Vaquero) I hope he produces more later, this is his first set of fruits. 
7.jpg

Thunder Mountain Longhorn. Easily the best producer in the tent (contested by the lemon drop) but most fruits ripen up to be soft with black seeds :/ To be replaced by the Bahamian Goat in the future. 
8.jpg

And my tabasco 
9.jpg

This is my "tools"
10.jpg

Some fitting decoration of the grow room 
11.jpg

And lastly the system all works because of this little box. 
12.jpg

My plan for this Glog is to hopefully grow peppers all year and I have some crossing ideas (Hello mr. Bahamian Goat) im planning to do here as well. Maybe some can assist with future hydro problems as well, as this is my very first time trying to grow this way :)
Here is the first few peppers from today going in the dryer! Along with some Gengish Kahns brain from the freezer. 
13.jpg

**Had to break my post into two, too many pictures I guess :D**
But now the last pictures will be about my mini rocoto, which I suspected in my last posts to be infected. 
While im not ready to lift the quarantine yet, I think it might be fine. You can judge for yourself in the few next pictures. 
IMG-4453.jpg

Here we have it, I gave it my old growlight meanwhile we see how the suspected BLS develops. 

IMG-4454.jpg

Closeup of the purple flowers, can't wait for it to open 

IMG-4456.jpg

Here we have the underside of leaf #1
IMG-4457.jpg

Underside of leaf #2 (looks very good if you ask me). 

IMG-4458.jpg

Top view of leaf #1. 

Do you guys think im in the clear here? I might let it be quarantined for another week just to be sure. 

I don't see anything that alarms me. It looks like a happy/healthy plant with a touch of probably harmless leaf issue. Sometimes the rocotos benefit from being out of the stronger light and heat, so it might even be enjoying its quarantine!

CaneDog said:
I don't see anything that alarms me. It looks like a happy/healthy plant with a touch of probably harmless leaf issue. Sometimes the rocotos benefit from being out of the stronger light and heat, so it might even be enjoying its quarantine!
I think you are right, so far I have given it a spot in my window (east), so I does get some light, but not all day. It seems to do fine :) 

Quick update today**

I haven't been showing many pictures of my Jamaican mushroom yellow, mostly because I think something is wrong with it. However, the first pod on it have begun to ripen :D I tasted a green pod, MUCH hotter than the one I took seeds from. The one I took seeds from was bought from a nursery, tasted much like a bell pepper, with very little heat. I planted the seeds as I thought a mild pepper would be nice for snacking. 
IMG-4497.jpg

IMG-4498.jpg

You can sense how crazy dense the plant grows. May be because of a nutrient problem, however - lots of pods, so okay I guess? ;)
IMG-4500.jpg

Heres the pasilla, with its first flower :D 
IMG-4501.jpg

The Biquinho is starting to pod up! 
IMG-4502.jpg

My Amarillo is starting to look a bit sad, some leaf curl and a strange color on the leafs. I have lowered it down in my tent, so the light won't be so intense for it. Hopefully I'll figure out what's wrong, any ideas? :) 

Wow, that Jamaican mushroom is crazy dense.  You might need a machete to get to all the pods!  Lowering the Amarillo is what I would have done. Hope it bounces back because they're great plants/peppers.  And nice to see your pasilla is moving into production mode.  I like the traditional Mexican varieties and plan to have a range of those varieties in my next year's grow.  Looking forward to seeing how yours does.

CaneDog said:
Wow, that Jamaican mushroom is crazy dense.  You might need a machete to get to all the pods!  Lowering the Amarillo is what I would have done. Hope it bounces back because they're great plants/peppers.  And nice to see your pasilla is moving into production mode.  I like the traditional Mexican varieties and plan to have a range of those varieties in my next year's grow.  Looking forward to seeing how yours does.

Its really weird, I have to be creative when im going to get that pod out :p 
Thanks man, hopefully it will get back in action, with all the hype the peppers has I can't wait to try it!

I'll be sure to review it when I have a pod - can't wait to see how all those rare wilds are going to work out for you! 

Looking great, MF.
Some great action going on there.

The Aji Amarillos are like the pubescens varieties in
that they like cooler temps. Both plants grow at high
altitude in Peru so they are a bit more forgiving of the
lower temps and less intense light.

PaulG said:
Looking great, MF.
Some great action going on there.

The Aji Amarillos are like the pubescens varieties in
that they like cooler temps. Both plants grow at high
altitude in Peru so they are a bit more forgiving of the
lower temps and less intense light.

Thanks Paul, that's the reason this forum is so great - I did not know that, but it makes a lot of sense. I can already see some improvement in the new leafs since I put it further away from the light. 

Mildfruit said:

Thanks Paul, that's the reason this forum is so great - I did not know that, but it makes a lot of sense. I can already see some improvement in the new leafs since I put it further away from the light. 
Awesome, that is great.
The plant will probably take off now!

PaulG said:
Awesome, that is great.
The plant will probably take off now!

You were right! I'll post a picture tomorrow but it have simply exploded and leafs look better than ever! 

Quick small update** 
IMG-4516.jpg

I got some new stuff today! A reverse osmosis system, looking like rocket equipment. 
IMG-4518.jpg

Took my 273ppm water down to 10 ppm. Which is great! I then proceeded to mix my nutrients and topped up with pH down as usual.. Big mistake  :rolleyes: After that I measured pH to be 4.4. I guess almost pure water is a bit more acidic than normal  ;)  Well I learn as I go, so this nutrient mix can stay for some time, and hopefully the pH will rise naturally. Excited to see how the plants respond, specially if I can fix my curled leafs issues for good! 

Sweet!  Nothing like a new project!  I've never had an RO system though I have been tempted before.  Really cool stuff.  Aren't there pH buffering issues with using pure RO water?  I've read about mixing tap with RO at a 1:4 ratio +/- to provide buffering while still reducing the EC significantly.

Looking forward to those plant progress pics!

CaneDog said:
Sweet!  Nothing like a new project!  I've never had an RO system though I have been tempted before.  Really cool stuff.  Aren't there pH buffering issues with using pure RO water?  I've read about mixing tap with RO at a 1:4 ratio +/- to provide buffering while still reducing the EC significantly.

Looking forward to those plant progress pics!
It would make sense with pH buffering issues, after all, I removed almost everything. I made up a new batch today, and measured a pH 6.3 which is more acidic than my normal tap water (7.0). Im by no means an expert, and im also going to adjust my calcium supplement. Learning by doing I guess

nmlarson said:
It ALL looks great! I'm curious how you use the biquinhos after harvest. I'm growing red, yellow & peach this year and will pickle them.

Me to! Pickling sounds like a great idea, and I might copy that idea. My first thought was just to snack on them, but they may produce too many  ;)

Plant pictures!
IMG-4541.jpg

The Andy's King BOC is starting to turn  :onfire:
IMG-4543.jpg

The Biquinho is setting a lot of pods, and grows like a miniature plant - could be a great candidate for a bonsai project down the road.

IMG-4544.jpg

The Pasilla with its one pod. More are on the way luckily 

IMG-4545.jpg

The Amarillo have taken off! If you compare with my last picture, you can use the sticks as a measurement in hight. The new leafs are looking much more healthy away from the light. 

IMG-4547.jpg

Tasted this earlier today. Really great taste, like a yellow bell pepper, with a firmly kick around the placenta. Really fruity, perfect for salads. I can only compare with last years lemon drop as they were both baccatums. They didn't have that soapy taste I had in my lemon drops, so that's great. 

My Murupi is also starting to look good again, it was suffering from over-everything. My Mini rocoto is also doing well, lots of flowers, but unfortunately none have set a pod yet. 

Mildfruit said:
Plant pictures!
IMG-4541.jpg

The Andy's King BOC is starting to turn  :onfire:

It's starting to turn alright...   starting to turn into a Tyrannosaurus!

Wow! Things are looking great!  Good to hear the feedback on the J Mushroom. I haven't grown one before, but I may have to fix that situation soon.  Curious that the rocoto isn't setting yet, what are your day/night temps on it?

EDIT - and yeah, that Biquinho would make a great bonchi.

CaneDog said:

Wow! Things are looking great!  Good to hear the feedback on the J Mushroom. I haven't grown one before, but I may have to fix that situation soon.  Curious that the rocoto isn't setting yet, what are your day/night temps on it?

EDIT - and yeah, that Biquinho would make a great bonchi.

I found it to be delicious! Hmm 24 degrees (75F) day temps, but I fear the night temps may have dipped under 10 degrees (50F). I have tried to move it to see if a more stable night temp can change the flower drop issue.  Haha glad you like the King BOC, can't wait to taste it! 

Taste test of my Andy's King BOC.

IMG-4553.jpg

IMG-4554.jpg

IMG-4555.jpg

Full of oil, im already scared. 
IMG-4556.jpg

IMG-4558.jpg

Closeup of capsaicin oil. 

Now the actual taste test: The smell is incredible, very very fruity. I can faintly detect the ghost smell. Not floral at all. Like an orange mixed with lemon.  
My tolerance for superhots are very low, this early in the season, so I cut a small piece of the tip. 1cm properly. 
First a fruity almost sweet, kinda like a honeydew melon. Then within the first second an OVERWELMING HEAT! Im not joking, this made my eyes and nose run and destroyed my mouth. Mostly tongue and not the throat, which I guess is preferable for me. This will make an excellent hot sauce!

CaneDog said:
Glad to hear the favorable report  :thumbsup:  Should make a wicked sauce!   Now even more looking forward to trying my first BOC - when and if mine cooperates!

Hopefully many more of those pods to follow.

I really hope you get your plant in order, because the pods are really good! 
Currently I have 6 other pods, mostly because I play bee sometimes - but yea the plan is to make a great sauce and make a cross with it along the way! 

Awesome taste report on the BOC -> it's for sure one of my favourite peppers as well, and I was also happy to hear that you agreed with the statement of it being a superhot version of a Bahamian goat. I actually got some BG seeds, so this will for sure be on the growlist for next season. I'm fascinated by how fruity the BOC is and how the smell really hits you as soon as you cut one open. The clearly visible oil indeed was a good indicator of the heat, and you were braver than me with how much you tried first time, I'm not surprised it burnt as much as it did!  :fireball:  :clap: But well done on getting some fruits on the plant, as mine is also quite finnicky. Last year, it must have dropped hundreds of flowers until finally setting lots of pods towards the end of the summer, and this year it's been doing the same, dropping dropping dropping, and hopefully once it moves outside again, will finally start setting some fruit.

Your grow is looking very good overall, with some really nice varieties, so keep up the awesome work! Nice to see the Grodan blocks being so successful; I guess them being a Danish invention means it was only natural for you to go down that road! ;)

lespaulde said:
Awesome taste report on the BOC -> it's for sure one of my favourite peppers as well, and I was also happy to hear that you agreed with the statement of it being a superhot version of a Bahamian goat. I actually got some BG seeds, so this will for sure be on the growlist for next season. I'm fascinated by how fruity the BOC is and how the smell really hits you as soon as you cut one open. The clearly visible oil indeed was a good indicator of the heat, and you were braver than me with how much you tried first time, I'm not surprised it burnt as much as it did!  :fireball:  :clap: But well done on getting some fruits on the plant, as mine is also quite finnicky. Last year, it must have dropped hundreds of flowers until finally setting lots of pods towards the end of the summer, and this year it's been doing the same, dropping dropping dropping, and hopefully once it moves outside again, will finally start setting some fruit.

Your grow is looking very good overall, with some really nice varieties, so keep up the awesome work! Nice to see the Grodan blocks being so successful; I guess them being a Danish invention means it was only natural for you to go down that road! ;)

You can never go wrong with the Bahamian Goat, its a THP favorit I think  :P . I think CaneDog will agree the BOC for sure is a finicky plant, and this year is my first time with success. I grew it two years ago with lots of flowers and zero pots. But I think getting it outside will do the trick, especially in that greenhouse of yours! 

Haha thanks! I think I've used the blocks a year before I found out they were Danish, but im not surprised - they are really good ;)  especially for indoors, when soil can be a bit messy. 

Update* 
Im not sure I can make the weekly update for the next period, im going to study for my last exams before finally being done! 

Anyway; 
IMG-4563.jpg

The Fireflame is a beast in my tent, keeps producing, I think I've  eaten 5-6 a week for the last few weeks. Actually considering changing it out for maybe De Arbol Chill. We'll see.

IMG-4564.jpg

This pasilla is growing so long it touches the block. Im unfortunately colorblind, so im not sure if its fully ripe or not. But can't wait to taste it! 

IMG-4565.jpg

The Murupi, been gone a long time from my tent. I feared it had BLS, however it was partly overwatering and partly too much nutrients. It has recovered, and grows pretty bushy with a lot of side branches, pretty interesting to follow. 

IMG-4566.jpg

The next two pictures are of my Amarillo, notice the thickness of the stem here;
IMG-4567-2.jpg

Vs the top, I don't know if you can notice it, but the stem at the bottom is thinner than the top. However the plant is starting to set flowers and seem overall very healthy (the leaves are a bit droopy, as the day here is almost over). I read something about damping off, but could that be the case here? I thought only small plants could be the victim of this? 

Back