• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Guacamole recipe wanted!

I dont like much if any lime in my guac... to each his own. I add lime separately to plenty of mexican foods as I eat, no need to have it messing up the flavor of my guacamole.

You may doubt this because of the salsa used, but I'm telling you its the way to go. Simple and delicious...
  • Avocado (# depends on how hungry you are :P)
  • A couple tablespoons of "Pace Picante" salsa for each avocado (Medium is best for this, hot is good too...)
  • Garlic salt to taste
  • Hot chile powder to taste (A few shakes of scorpion powder in my last batch was perfect for 2 avocados)
  • (optional - a little bit of mayonaise - like maybe a teaspoon to 3 avocados worth - the reason for this is it stops the guac from turning brown so quickly when left out, works surprisingly well)
  • (optional - lime to taste)

Too many ingredients for me.

I like 2 avocados smushed with a fork
Dash of Salt
Dash of black pepper
a LITTLE Lemon Juice OR Lime Juice OR a dash of White Vinegar
Minced hot pepper...you pick.
Finely diced onion and/or cilantro and/or tomato if you so choose.
Stir.
Drink a few beers.
Eat.

Hmm, it must be an Aussie thing to use Lemon juice as opposed to lime? Lemon juice & Avocado are made for one another IMO! :)

Definitely start with less then add more if you feel it needs it. If they are good and ripe avocados they really don't need much. Here in West Texas and New Mexico Guacamole is Avocado and Salt. Maybe a bit of fresh jalapeno or cilantro. The flavor of the avocado is what we strive for. To me the Anti-Christ of guacamole is Cumin. Such a powerful spice... it really overpowers the guac and makes it into something NOT guacamole.

you definatly need the lime juice(or something acidic) to keep the avacado from turning brown...
that is, unless you like eating things that look like diarrhea :P

you definatly need the lime juice(or something acidic) to keep the avacado from turning brown...
that is, unless you like eating things that look like diarrhea :P

LOL! If you’re making a huge amount for a party I agree. If you’re making a small batch for the family for lunch or dinner I don't think it is necessary unless you like the flavor of it. Down here it gets gobbled up way before it ever starts to turn brown. If you do not want to use lime or if you do have leftovers, put the guacamole in a bowl and lay plastic wrap on the surface. Press the plastic against the entire surface of the guacamole to remove any air pockets and it will say green and fresh till you need it. No Air = No Brown. Put it in the fridge if it is going to be out more than a few hours.

For brownness...
Put the avocado seeds back on top of the guac once it is made and eat around them, they will slow down the browning process.
Adding mayo (in small amounts) actually helps stop the brownification immensely and doesnt affect the flavor too much.

Just a little guacamole trick I learned:

The initial Guac Browning does not alter the flavor. It's just surface oxidization, caused when the flavanoids in the avacodo's cellular membranes come in contact with the Oxygen in the air (that whole sentence is bullshit).

If you let it turn brown, it will, in fact, look like diarrhea, but it will taste like beautiful guacamole.

Then you say, "Gross, someone rhiaaed in the guac bowl!!!", take it to the kitchen, and it's all yours.

Thank me in the morning.

My recipe is very close to what Chef Jimmie said, except I dont put Cayenne powder. I use a few finely chopped serrano for a mild batch. But lately, been adding chopped Bhuts, 7 Pots, Scorps, or what ever super hots I have on hand to kick it up a notch. I also add just a little mayo. Learned that trick in Mexico from my friends down there. Makes it really creamy. Also, level off guac in container (sealed) and put some clear plastic wrap on top and push down to expel all the air. :dance:

Back