• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
150 varieties, dang man.
Lookin forward to the discussions
Got you approved. And yeah...im cruzin for a bruzin, but it must be done. I have some ancient seeds that need to be freshened up, and my goal is to build fresh viable stock for opening up a small web store for seeds, teas and foods. Possible write a grow bible book or something. 

PaulG said:
+1 GPR, I can't imagine growing that many.
Will join the Facebook group. Thanks, Rich.

edit: Application submitted. I really don't use
        FBook, but I will for this.
Awesome. I got you approved. Thanks for joining! 

Walchit said:
Had my wife join that thing. I don't get on facebook anymore though
Cool, what was her name?

D3monic said:
Im in, enjoyed chatting earlier. Im with you on the seed stock. I still have a ton from 2014-2015. Still seem to germ fine though. Havent been doing much for trades the past year ot two. Need to start up again.
Dude, Ive got a batch of seeds and pods from 7-5-1999 that a buddy and I found the other day. He harvested them from his, at that time, 6 year old mother Pumpkin Habanero. Then like 15 packs from 2005 and everything in between to current. Gonna be a delicate process and I may not get great results but I gotta try.

Pepper-Guru said:
Dude, Ive got a batch of seeds and pods from 7-5-1999 that a buddy and I found the other day. He harvested them from his, at that time, 6 year old mother Pumpkin Habanero. Then like 15 packs from 2005 and everything in between to current. Gonna be a delicate process and I may not get great results but I gotta try.
you probably already know but you can soak in 2.7% bleach (half strength regular hosehold bleach) for 1hr, otherwise the strong gibberellic acid method.

saiias said:
Love the color.

Sent from my S9
The red jars are Red Blend 2018, every red pepper from garden. Fermented 6 months and flash pasteurized with root veggie mire poix. 

The yellow is Aji Lemon Drop...people seemed interested and I can't stand it so out it goes! hahaha

The rest is jerky, dried pods for powder and seed and seed pods. 

PaulG said:
That's awesome, Rich! You have lots
going on to get excited about this season.

Beautiful violet color on that little stem!
Oh wait.. Violet color stems are good?
I thought green color stems are good and purple color stems are bad.

Guess I fell for the advice given by guru in throwdown thred. Facepalm. I shoukd have known better before trimming down the seedlings with purple stem.

Sent from my S9

saiias said:
Just in case you're NK.
Oh wait.. Violet color stems are good?
I thought green color stems are good and purple color stems are bad.
Neither good nor bad, just traits of two different phenotypes
specific to the Sri Lanka Red in the GrowDown. The preferred
SLR pheno in the GrowDown is annum-like with little or no purpling,
along with narrower leaves.
Guess I fell for the advice given by guru in throwdown thred. Facepalm.
I shoukd have known better before trimming down the seedlings with
purple stem. There are many pepper plants that have purple stems, it's
common. 
Sent from my S9

Back