• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

stc3248 said:
C'mon man!!! You gotta share more than that one little seedling! What's your plant out date. You're in GA right? Just curios 'cause its my first season on the right coast in a while.

I know! I will promise. Our plant out is around mid April/April 20th most years. Some years we get lucky and have planted in late March, but I started germing around Feb 14th and a lot of the older seeds are looking like they will give me a hard time, so Ill have to start over with a bunch of stuff or totally scrap the idea of having them for plant out this year. Plant out may need to occur in waves, as things are ready to come out of the basement. Im starting to see some primary leaves on many of the seedlings now. Once that starts, things get jungle status pretty quickly.

I wasn't able to identify these peppers when I got that SFRB from you, but I still saved seeds from everything.

Let me know if you think these may be Sri Lankan Cobras.

YgEHDEN.jpg

2ERc9Mf.jpg

The top one looks more like your picture.

I may have mixed two different peppers together on the bottom one.

I'll be happy to get some of the seeds back to you if you need.

DontPanic said:
I wasn't able to identify these peppers when I got that SFRB from you, but I still saved seeds from everything.

Let me know if you think these may be Sri Lankan Cobras.

YgEHDEN.jpg

2ERc9Mf.jpg

The top one looks more like your picture.

I may have mixed two different peppers together on the bottom one.

I'll be happy to get some of the seeds back to you if you need.
Number 18 for sure! Would greatly appreciate that!~ 

Pepper-Guru said:
Number 18 for sure! Would greatly appreciate that!~ 

No problem.  It looks like I got somewhere around 30-40 seeds saved from #18.  I can easily split those with you.

I've been throwing some rice grains in with my saved seeds to hopefully mitigate our Southern humidity.  So you may find a few grains of rice along with the seeds.

It's ironic that I couldn't identify this pepper until now.  Had I known it was a Sri Lanka Cobra, I bet I would have shared most of them in the Seed Train I was in earlier.

So, luckily, I have some extra since it's been a mystery pepper up until now.  :)

Devv said:
Hopefully they will do well. Good luck!

DontPanic said:
No problem.  It looks like I got somewhere around 30-40 seeds saved from #18.  I can easily split those with you.

I've been throwing some rice grains in with my saved seeds to hopefully mitigate our Southern humidity.  So you may find a few grains of rice along with the seeds.

It's ironic that I couldn't identify this pepper until now.  Had I known it was a Sri Lanka Cobra, I bet I would have shared most of them in the Seed Train I was in earlier.

So, luckily, I have some extra since it's been a mystery pepper up until now.  :)

You are awesome! You shouldve messaged me! I couldve IDd anything for you. The bottom two look like original Butch T Scorpions.

Success! 

33702908118_81409e0a67_b.jpg

Looks like I actually saved a lot more seed than I thought. I've never taken into account all the pods I've dried and vacuum sealed over the years.

A small update on how things are going and Few shots from the grow room today:

You can see why I've been selecting what I call "pheno 2" over the years since my Sri Lanka trip. In Sri Lanka the "Chili" red as the locals call it, can be found in varying lengths and each village has their own version. Same sow date: Growdown Chili Red vs Original

46855946334_6285e4c668_b.jpg

A neat C Chomboideum

47579844531_43e4369020_b.jpg

Grow room shot at this stage of the season...spamant out is approaching very quickly. 

46856159014_9c820f682d_b.jpg

Good to see you having some success reestablishing your Cobra peppers. I saved the pods you sent me, like I said, and let them dry in a natural environment with a 12-20% humidity, otherwise known as a Minnesota winter. They were kept inside, no freezing involved, but the one goof I committed was that I failed to ID and label said pods before drying. There are two that look like Cobra candidates, but I'm not sure you sent me two. It could be assumed that one of them might be another stinger-bearing type.

stettoman said:
Good to see you having some success reestablishing your Cobra peppers. I saved the pods you sent me, like I said, and let them dry in a natural environment with a 12-20% humidity, otherwise known as a Minnesota winter. They were kept inside, no freezing involved, but the one goof I committed was that I failed to ID and label said pods before drying. There are two that look like Cobra candidates, but I'm not sure you sent me two. It could be assumed that one of them might be another stinger-bearing type.
show me! i can id em

Back