• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

habanero salsa

hey there, got a couple of red savinas left which I need to do something with.

question one:
how much salsa would I be able to do with about 5-6 red savinas?

question two:
do I just blend together the ingredients to get a smoother salsa? instead of chopping them up or something. :oops:

question three:
anyone got a nice recipe and some instructions on how to start if I can make something out of the habs I have?

sorry for the newbie questions but never ever done salsas, thanks!

It's really all about your taste. I made a lot of salsa this year and it varied how many habs I put in it depending on who was going to eat it. For me, with 5-6 habs, I would use about 3 tomatoes, 1/2 an onion, about 2-3 Tbs of lime juice and a good handful of cilantro. Then add salt to taste and puree or not depends on how chunky/smooth you like it. If you are going to keep it a little while, I would simmer it for about 15 minutes. Just to be safe, keep it refridgerated. If that would be too hot, maybe add a half of a bell pepper, or poblano if you can find one. I also like serranos and jalapenos for salsa. Ok enough rambling, hope some of this helps.

my taste would be hot hot hot, not sure how hot you like it but that sounds nice. cilantro = coriander right?

very helpful post, I think I'll make this after I've had dinner.

thank you

I have collected some salsa recipes from members, here they are, maybe there's something you'd like to try:

Salsas

Salsa 1 (HotPeppersFlyFishing)
for 1 jar of salsa
2 large tomatoes seeded
1 can of tomatoe sauce (8 0z)
juice from half a lime
2 teaspoons cilantro
1 teaspoons pickling salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
throw all that into a food processor til nice and smooth
set aside in a large bowl
while that is blending boil jar and lid like in the pickle recipe
now the tricky part
take 2 more tomatoes deseed and chop them to your likeing
chopped 3 or 4 chile peppers to your liking
chop 1 small red onion to your liking
2 cloves of garlic to your liking
place that into the bowl with the sauce
add cilantro pickling salt the other
half of lime juice more chile powder cumin
its tricky because I taste from the bowl as I add so
feel free to omit/add what you like
now when its all mixed put into a sauce pan and slowly bring to a boil
then when the jar is ready and the salsa is up to a boil
add salsa to jar seal then hot water bath for 10 minutes
its late here so I hope I didnt miss a step
the big key is the lime juice and pickling salt and a good seal for safety reasons
oh and if you want to you can skip the canning part and eat fresh after it chills in a fridge for an hour lol

Salsa 2 (cheezydemon)
2 large fresh tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
Hot peppers to taste
1 onion
1 tsp salt

Blend thoroughly

Salsa 3 (AlabamaJack)
1 bunch of cilantro
4 Jalapenos (or pepper of your choice, Serannos are good)
½ medium size onion
3 to 4 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon of sugar
2 medium size cans of chopped tomatoes

Preparation:
Bake the Jalapenos, onions and garlic.
Place all ingredients in food processor and grind to the consistency you like.

Tomatillo Green Salsa (poblano)
Yield: 5 pints
5 cups chopped tomatillos (You may use green tomatoes in this recipe instead of tomatillos)
1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped long green cayennes
1/2 cup seeded finely chopped jalapenos
4 cups chopped onions
1 cup bottled lemon juice
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp ground cumin
3 Tbsp oregano leaves
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

Yet another salsa (Steve973)
5 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 regular to large vidalia onion, very roughly chopped into large chunks
3 cups of roughly chopped tomatoes with the hard parts of the core removed
5 datil peppers, or some amount of your preferred pepper
juice of one lime
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 "handful" of finely chopped cilantro
1+ teaspoons sugar (optional)

Broil garlic, onion, tomatoes, and peppers until roasted to desired level. Pulse in a food processor until desired consistency is reached. Add processed ingredients to a pot along with lime juice and salt. Simmer slowly for 20 minutes and then turn off the burner. Stir in cumin and cilantro. Cool and store in the refrigerator.

Peaches and Screams Fatalii Salsa (luckyDog)
The deliciously fruity salsa can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days, but fresh it's just best. Tip: For a killer tropical seafood sauce, simmer the salsa in a small saucepan with about 1/2 cup of Chardonnay for 10 minutes, then puree it.
• 2 nice, ripe peaches (always a beautiful sight)
• 1 Fatalii pod
• 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
• 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves, chopped,
• 2 teaspoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
• A pinch of salt
Peel and core the peaches, cut them into about 1/5" cubes. Using gloves, finely chop the Fatalii pod. In a small bowl, mix all ingredients and let sit for at least an hour. Scoop with corn chips or use over grilled chicken, fish or seafood.

thanks! great list.
the one AlabamaJack made seems good and easy enough. with bake, I suppose he means put them in the oven for a while?

munchzilla said:
my taste would be hot hot hot, not sure how hot you like it but that sounds nice. cilantro = coriander right?

very helpful post, I think I'll make this after I've had dinner.

thank you

"Cilantro" means the coriander green, the leaves of the coriander plant. "Coriander" means the coriander seeds. The word cilantro seems to come from Mexico.

4 Jalapenos cut in half (or any kind of pepper)
half of a medium size onion
3 cloves of garlic
2-3 tomato fresh cut in half

put everything on a sheet pan i also spay the pan down i put olive oil on top of everthing,kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and pre heat oven on broil and roast everthing at 425-450 in there for maybe 20mins i check them in 15mins ( pre heat oven ) i like it when the tips turn black... i put it in a Food Processor mix it up add salt to taste

You beat me to it Chiliac!;)

The garlic is key. People rave about my salsa, that is the only real twist I use.

The key to salsa is also simple and fresh!

cheezydemon said:
You beat me to it Chiliac!;)

The garlic is key. People rave about my salsa, that is the only real twist I use.

The key to salsa is also simple and fresh!

I'm still playing around with the garlic in mine. I do use it, but the amount seems to be very, very critical.

Back