• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HabaneroHead - 2013 - New Hope

Hi Everyone!

I started my season quite early this year... I was making the same mistake...again, and managed to cook my seeds. Despite of that there were 2 Naga Morich seeds germinating,this is the reason I am calling them 'The Survivors'. :P
At the end of February I was on a business trip to London, my peppers germinated just before of that. When I returned two weeks later, the seedlings were still very small, no improvement was seen, and the leaves were almost completely purple. I was searching on the forum, and I arrived to two possible reasons:
- Suncald: well, it was snowing, and practically it was winter, I really doubt that
- Lack of Phosphorus: caused by the poor soil. Since mine was fine, it wasobviously caused by the too cool soil, which was preventing the uptake of this element
I was giving them some light, and heat, and in two weeks the issue was resolved. :onfire:
I have the following plants now (30 in total):
- Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (8 plants)
- Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow (6)
- Naga Morich (9)
- Red Habanero (8)

I repotted them this week, and 19 of them is wearing 1.4 liter shoes, and 11 of them has 0.75 liter.

A week ago I was starting some more seeds, received from Rick (Stickman), except the Tobago Seasoning :P :
- Gochu
- Chimayo
- Serrano
- Jalapeno
- Tomatillo
- Tobago Seasoning
- Kurtovska Kapija
- Belcato Kapija

Thanks for watching!
Balázs

stickman said:
Hi Balázs,
   Your chiles have grown quite a bit since the last set of pictures you posted, especially your Chinense varieties and Tomatoes! What a strange growing season this one has turned out to be... everybody I've talked to has had extreme weather of one sort or another. Continued success my friend, I have every confidence you'll have a great grow this year!
Hi Rick,
Yes, I can see the difference. (originally I started my glog because of that: pictures with dates are making my next season plannable)We had pretty extreme weather in this season:beginning of May with 30 Celsius, then 5-6 weeks without rain, 3 weeks of 5 Celsius nightime temps, then now we had a week of 37-38 Celsius... This is crazy. But the good thing is the peppers seem to like even this extreme heatwave: in the last 2 weeks they were growing like a weed.
Sad thing is that I was bringing my Tomatillo plants home 2 weeks ago, instructed my parents to put them into the ground...which did not happen. They did not have time, but I think they just forgot it. The funny thing is when I was asking them they replied: "They are your peppers, we were just waiting for yout to plant them" :P
So tomorrow I am going to plant them. Is 2 feet distance enough between them?

Balázs

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Rick,
Yes, I can see the difference. (originally I started my glog because of that: pictures with dates are making my next season plannable)We had pretty extreme weather in this season:beginning of May with 30 Celsius, then 5-6 weeks without rain, 3 weeks of 5 Celsius nightime temps, then now we had a week of 37-38 Celsius... This is crazy. But the good thing is the peppers seem to like even this extreme heatwave: in the last 2 weeks they were growing like a weed.
Sad thing is that I was bringing my Tomatillo plants home 2 weeks ago, instructed my parents to put them into the ground...which did not happen. They did not have time, but I think they just forgot it. The funny thing is when I was asking them they replied: "They are your peppers, we were just waiting for yout to plant them" :P
So tomorrow I am going to plant them. Is 2 feet distance enough between them?

Balázs

You'll probably be alright with the Tomatillos Balázs, they're pretty hard to kill. 2 feet apart would probably be OK if you have them staked or in a Tomato cage, but they tend to sprawl, so if you're not going to stake them you should probably set them a  meter apart. The husks on the Tomatillos are much bigger than the fruit initiallly, but eventually will grow big enough to split the husks. They'll ripen greenish-yellow and have a sweet/tart flavor that reminds me of Apples but isn't quite the same. This is a picture I took yesterday... 2 weeks after they began to flower.
SANY1239_zps9533cfd9.jpg

HabaneroHead said:

Hello neighbour! ;)
Thank you for the kind words, I hope they will be bushy, soon. The issue is that I do not have bigger pots for them, so they have to do the magic in the current one. :-)
Man, this heat is killing me... I understand that mother nature fired up the oven, but when we have 37 Celsius outside, we have 30 inside. This is why I cannot wait to be in the office, again...under aircondition :-)
Yeah, they forcasted storms for the next week, which actually started today...we had a big storm, bringing almost 10 cm rain, and practically hammering the small non-supers into the ground in the garden. The good thing is that even though they are lying on the ground, they are not broken, just could not stand the strong wind. Hopefully they will recover soon. I will post pictures later.
I wish you some refreshing rain, too, but without hail and strong wind!
I made these pictures during the day.
Since the weather forecast was saying possible hail, I turned the hailstorm shield on. Some of the plants were too big, though...and the crate would cause more damage than the storm, so I left them unprotected... Kind of gambling....so far so good. :P

Balasz, don't worry about the size of pots, they will do just fine. my father in low grows chillis I give him in even smaller pots, and he has nice crop every year ;)

Yeah, the heat was unbelievable, it's getting a little better over here, but we're gonna have the storm tomorrow.
It's great your peppers didn't get broken in the storm.

I see you also have a bad clay soil just like me, but never the less, your plants are looking great :)
Thanks for the good wishes, hope it stays the same for you!

Don't worry about tomatillos, thgey are among the plants that love this crazy weather and are using it very well. My tomatilloshave set fruits almoust a month earlier then last year. They will take off quickly. MIne already got very wide since I didn't put them in the cage - I think  they could be more then 2 feet wide on top branches. But you can always cut few branches off.
BmVlTRa.jpg

Thanks guys for the kind words! Today I planted the tomatillos, finally...

3 Tomatillo

due to the possible hailstorms, I turned the system on, the only 'bad' thing is that some of the plants are bigger than the crates, so I had to leave the biggest ones unprotected

Probably you don't recognize the one, which got hail damage, but after two weeks it looks like this

Kapijas, again :-)

Balázs

Excellent Balázs! Are they all planted for you yet? You're right... if that was the Red Habanero with the yellow leaves and holes punched in them from hail, I didn't recognize it. Things are really looking up for you now and I'm gonna try to wait patiently to see what you get for a harvest... waiting's not my strong suit... ;)

Peptacular said:
Nice looking soil and plot man. Curious to see how the tomatillos turn out, I'm considering them for next year.
Thanks, it definately looks better after rain :-) Tomatillos are new for me, too. Unfortunately they went to the ground quite late, and spent time in pots, that it should have been ideal. We will see.

stickman said:
Excellent Balázs! Are they all planted for you yet? You're right... if that was the Red Habanero with the yellow leaves and holes punched in them from hail, I didn't recognize it. Things are really looking up for you now and I'm gonna try to wait patiently to see what you get for a harvest... waiting's not my strong suit... ;)
Thx, Rick. Checking the garden in every other, or two weeks means that you can see the progress. Superhots did not really grow a lot since last week, but non supers, like Kapija, Gochu, Coloring pepper doubled their size.

roper2008 said:
Good Luck, I hope you get a good harvest.
Thank you!
Well, it is again one week later, and I am here to give an update on my peppers. I still do not have batteries for my old camera, so took the pics with my HTC Desire...I forgot to turn off the flash, therefore the colors are not really showing what it is in fact, but hopefully you will recognize the peppers :-)

All super on one pic

These were planted out around the 1st of May

And these a couple of weeks later. Difference is easy to recognize, but they are catching up.

Naga Morich

Bhut IC

TS CARDI Yellow (I think)

Group shot

Thanks for watching.

P.S.: I hope you recognized how clean the surrounding of the plants is... Spent some time with loosening the stone hard soil around them, in order to let their roots breathe.I am pretty satisfied with the result.  :rofl:

I guess I'm biased because your soil looks clay filled like mine. So maybe I was projecting subconsciously lol. Either way, waaaay less weeds than me. And I don't even have a massive amount. And i also know from experience a few weeks make all the difference. The plants then went out before my wrist was sprained and after it healed look immensely dimorphic

Peptacular said:
I guess I'm biased because your soil looks clay filled like mine. So maybe I was projecting subconsciously lol. Either way, waaaay less weeds than me. And I don't even have a massive amount. And i also know from experience a few weeks make all the difference. The plants then went out before my wrist was sprained and after it healed look immensely dimorphic
:P  Well, it could be worse, I think, a sandy soil which does not hold the water or the nutritients can be a real nightmare. Well, I would say, these pics are like the wedding pics for the ladies...they would like to be perfect...and I have cleaned the soil around them for the same purpose...to let them pose :fireball:

Good news: I already have pods! I recognized some on the biggest Bhut plants, together with an insane amount of side branches just popping. After planting them out I have stripped the ladies from the bottom, to promote the growth, and to avoid soil diseases. My phone unfortunately is not able to focus, therefore I wouldn't bother posting them on the forum, you have to believe me :liar:

Next pics about the garden will come two weeks later, till then, I would like to share some pics about the non-supers with you. Enjoy! :-)

Overall shot for one of the beds (we have other 3, the same size)

Two rows of Kapija (saved seeds)

Two rows of coloring pepper

One row red bell pepper (in the middle)

One row Gochu (Stickman)

Another place, where we have some peppers, right next to my superhot plants. Since labelling was kind of forgotten by my parents, there are Serranos, Coloring Peppers, Kurtovska Kapijas, Belcanto Kapijas, Gochus, and Chimayos there. I cannot wait to see the pods coming :-)

Thanks for watching THP!

Balázs

Good news with the Bhut podding up Balázs! Pictures are looking good too. Is that a pear tree I see on the left margin of the last photo?

That garden plot is huge and load with great varieties.  And multiples of some great varieties, as well.  Those Kurtovska Kapijas are going to load you up!  I hope you like Ajvar!  (I know i do.  :)  )

Looking great, Balazs!

stickman said:
Good news with the Bhut podding up Balázs! Pictures are looking good too. Is that a pear tree I see on the left margin of the last photo?

Thanks, Rick! Yes, it is a pear :-) You have eagle eyes. :-)

DocNrock said:
That garden plot is huge and load with great varieties.  And multiples of some great varieties, as well.  Those Kurtovska Kapijas are going to load you up!  I hope you like Ajvar!  (I know i do.  :)  )

Looking great, Balazs!
 Thank you. Of course I love Ajvar. :-) But I love the pickled fried peppers as well, for which the Kapija is the best!

MisterNo said:
Nice garden Balasz, very neat :)

Bunch of pods coming soon :)
 Thanks a million :-) Hopefully, hopefully :-)

GnomeGrown said:
Those bulb crates have 101 uses around the garden including hail protection.

Good luck with your grow.

:dance:
Thank you! Indeed, bad thing is that they become weak if they are exposed to the Sun.

Hi Balasz,
   How are things with you my friend? I hope the weather's been decent and your chiles are growing well!

Wow, not a garden but a farm!

Tons of work go into that! I know, and have just a small fraction of that land planted.

Do you have to irrigate? Or does it rain there? I don't get much rain where I am....

Great looking grow!

stickman said:
Hi Balasz,
   How are things with you my friend? I hope the weather's been decent and your chiles are growing well!

Hi Rick! I just arrived to my parents after two weeks. It was quite hot till I was away, but it seems the peppers are loving it! I have a couple of pods on each varieties. I already started counting back the weeks I have from this season, and with being optimistic, I have 10-12 good weeks left from the season. There was a big setback at the end of May, and beginning of June, when we had very cold weather here for 3 weeks, with 5-8 Celsius night temperatures, which did not really help the plants to grow at all. Without that 3 cold weeks I should have ripe pods on my plants by now, like I had in the previous years.
Well, enough bitching!  :P
I brought my fiancee's camera (Nikon D5100) home, so I am going to post some quality pics today.

armac said:
The PVC sunk near some of the peppers......for direct root watering?

Hi Rodney,
Yes, it is for directly watering the roots. It is like the bottom watering but the plants are in the ground. Last summer was the hottest I have ever seen without sufficient amount of rain. I was trying to water and to fertilize the plants, but since the root zone is in 30-40 cm deep, it was just wasting the water and the not so cheap fertilizer. Then one of the hose of my father was left out during the winter, and it became fragile. I decided to use the same method I saw in case of the city trees. And here we are now.  :P

Devv said:
Wow, not a garden but a farm!

Tons of work go into that! I know, and have just a small fraction of that land planted.

Do you have to irrigate? Or does it rain there? I don't get much rain where I am....

Great looking grow!

HI Scott,
Thanks for stopping by! To be honest I have kind of outsourced the work to my parents.  :rolleyes:  They are pampering my babies. Today I went to check them, and was pulling out the weeds...I could barely count 10 piece of them.
I have to irrigate, but water is an expensive thing. This is the reason I am trying to water them with the tubes you can see on my pics. The yearly rainfall we get here is around 500-600 mm, which is quite low. Check this homepage, I am living on the east side of the country, which is quite dry.
http://www.met.hu/en/eghajlat/magyarorszag_eghajlata/altalanos_eghajlati_jellemzes/csapadek/
I have checked your city on the precipitation map of Texas, and the rainfall can be anything between 18 and 30 inches, which is quite similar to mine.
http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/usstates/weathermaps/txprecip.htm
So I have to irrigate, but according to my parents only the strongest can survive  :P
I am following your glog, and your plants look beautiful, despite the heat. We had almost 5 weeks without any rain, and the grass here just looked like the same...

Balázs

Hi Everyone!

Update time! :-)

Tomatillos. I think I waited too long with planting them into the ground.

3 Tomatillos, and a couple of peppers :-)

Usual angle, superhot plants

Hail damaged Red Habanero plant

TS CARDI Yellow

Will post more pics for bumps :-)

Back