• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HabaneroHead Glog 2012 - Better late than never - Picture Heavy

Hi PepperHeads!

It's been a while since I posted anything about my peppers, but it does not mean I was not following what's going on THP. As usual I did not only get inspiration, but also useful hints and kindness from the team members. And on the top of that, I managed to infect some of my friends, my family and my girlfriend with this addiction. :P

Anyways, ling story short, last december Jack and Ela (aka Superhot and Ela on this forum) was so kind and sent me a batch of seeds (thank you for that, again):
- Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
- Fatalii Red/Yellow
- Tobago Seasoning
- Naga Morich
- Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow

Unfortunately I could not make the Fatalii and Tobago Seasoning germinated, probably I cooked them with my reptile heat mat.

So the varieties I have now:
- Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (6)
- Naga Morich (4)
- Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow (4)
- Bishop's Crown (2)
- Golden Habanero (6)
- Red Habanero (8)
- Aji Lemon Drop (7)

I was not taking into consideration the overwintered red habs, since I am not sure how they will perform, but I was giving them a chance, and they are trying to do their best in the ground.

Let's see some pics now!

6th of March 2012
6thofMar2012024.jpg

6thofMar2012020.jpg

Store bought Golden Habanero, i was taking out the seeds. Out of 10 seeds, 8 germinated, and now I have 6 healthy plants
6thofMar2012013.jpg

6thofMar2012010.jpg

My Bonchi, which I was making to my girlfriend, and it successfully survived the winter:
Bonchi.jpg

1st of April 2012
My babies having sunbath
pictures226.jpg

pictures221.jpg

Bhut doing weird things, I thought the stem may stay in this shape (what a Bonchi!), but in few weeks it straightened.
pictures235.jpg

Superhots are doing well
pictures208.jpg

Aji Lemon Drop: tall, but has strong stem. They were getting the same light, ferts etc, but they are a little bit of leggy.
pictures206.jpg

H[sup]2[/sup]! Your grow is great - pods and plants looking very nice.
Keep up the good work, Balazs!

I hope that pod was a good harbinger of things to come!

I hope that pod was a good harbinger of things to come!

:P We will see.
The first new thing was an experience...last evening I tried the TS green pod. Well...it was great. We were watching a really old one film (well it depends) in the TV, G.I. Jane, and in the middle of it I was thinking, what the heck...tough guys, but would they be able to eat a TS pod? So I put a glass of milk together with a slice of a bread on the table, with the unripe pod. And I prepared myself for the battle. I did not know how epic it can be... I cut it into half, then sliced one half into 4 pieces.
Then I tried it. The smell of the pod was typical Chinense, nothing surprising. I ate the first piece, actually the tail of it. It was really nice, no waiting time (like with the Habaneros), it immediately kicked in, but it did not seem to be so strong. Then I tried the next quarter...and I started to feel the burn on my tounge, not on the back of it, but in the front. It took 5 mins to recover, I was breathing like Darth Wader, making strange noises. :fireball: I started to feel some torpidity (hopefully it is the right word) in my arms, first in my left arm (I thought the heart attack would be something similar), then in my right...then the back of my head started to do the same. My girlfriend did not really understand me: I was laughing, but my head did not show the same :drooling: Then I took the third piece, mainly placenta...it was nothing compared to the previous ones...it went down, and immediately started to burn the left side of my throat and the back of my tounge. It was like swallowing some barbed-wire. I was at my 20 mins, and I did not take any milk. I had some nose running. After a good five mins, I took the last piece, and it was the rown on my evening. The right side of my throat (I wonder if it even exists, but heck I was feeling it) started to burn, and it was the most intense burn I have ever felt. It was not really burn, it was pure pain. The tip of my nose started the same thing like my arms before, it was quite funny. It was at my 35 mins. Then I had a great idea: to drink some milk. I swear to the Pepper God it was the worst idea of that evening!
The burn was tripled, and I slightly started to shake. It was like during fever...my body was damn hot, but I felt my 26 Celsius flat very cold... I had to eat the slice of the bread and another glass of milk. It took another 15 mins to recover. But then I was soooo happy! And my girfriend now knows I am an idiot. ;)
Cannot wait to try a ripe pod and the Bhut!
What surprised me is the number of the seeds in the pod, from one half I counted like 15 healthy, but still unripe seeds.

Balázs

Jeeze Balázs, you're a better man than I am... If that was an unripe pod, the ripe ones must be thermonuclear. Not sure if the endorphin rush is worth the pain it takes to get there for me, but if it works for you, good on yer mate!

Balázs, that is an incredible review. Egads, only half the pod, and
green at that; I'm with Stickman, a whole ripe one is going to light
your arse on fire! Good job, man; Shane and MGold would be proud
of you. What a stud!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for reading my review. I can't wait to try a ripe one, and also the Bhut Jolokia. :P

Look, what I found in the market (taken by my mobile):

Green ones on the left are cherry peppers, the yellow ones on the right are Almapaprika.
IMG00189-20120724-1323.jpg

Cherry peppers pickled, stuffed with garlic
IMG00191-20120724-1335.jpg

More pickles, Almapaprika stuffed with cabbage, red-cabbage
IMG00190-20120724-1334.jpg

Balázs

Crazy review! I take my pain in little pepper slivers, thank you. As Stickman said above, you're a better man than me, as well. And as both he and PaulG said, a ripe one will probably really rip you a new one.

Nice offerings in the market. Intrigued by the cabbage-stuffed paprikas.

Hi Balázs
Extremely cool pics of market day where you are. What's your take on the Alma Paprika? I have no idea what they taste like. Are they best fresh, dried or pickled? Is sweet paprika made from them when ripened and dried?

Crazy review! I take my pain in little pepper slivers, thank you. As Stickman said above, you're a better man than me, as well. And as both he and PaulG said, a ripe one will probably really rip you a new one.

Nice offerings in the market. Intrigued by the cabbage-stuffed paprikas.

Thank you, Brent!. I am not better than anybody else on this forum...just crazier. :crazy: I just spoke with my Mum and she told me she have seen some ripe Bhut Jolokias on the plants. I might do a video review about it... I am just not sure if my spoken English is on the appropriate level. :oops:

Hi Balázs
Extremely cool pics of market day where you are. What's your take on the Alma Paprika? I have no idea what they taste like. Are they best fresh, dried or pickled? Is sweet paprika made from them when ripened and dried?

Hi Rick,

Basically there are two types of Alma Paprika: there is sweet and there is hot. Usually it is not consumed raw, only pickled. There are many ways to make pickle: we can do it on their own, or to remove the seeds and stuff them with cabbage (both red and white, the red is better, IMO), and to pickle them. And what are we using them? For everything which needs pickled staff. In the market (where the pic was taken), there are places where fried sausages, fried meats, Wienerschnitzel is sold, and there it is always an option to take some Alma Paprika. Even my girlfriend who does not really like the hot peppers, is mad about them, every time if there is an ocassion, she buys some. I have seen some guys on this forum drying them and powdering them, but that is the way what we never do. They are just not designed for that :lol:

Balázs

Good to know! I think it's always better to ask the folks that grow them what's the best way to eat them too. Thanks Balázs

Great market pics, Balázs! I really miss that about Europe.
We went to markets like that in every place we visited. There
are a few nice markets like that here in our area, but it's just
not the same, and certainly not as convenient.

Hmmm, stuffed with cabbage & cherry`s stuffed with garlic, i can imagine how that tastes. :-)

Mezo.

Your updates with the photos and reviews are always appreciated here..............great reading material and very entertaining!

Greg

:P We will see.
The first new thing was an experience...last evening I tried the TS green pod. Well...it was great. We were watching a really old one film (well it depends) in the TV, G.I. Jane, and in the middle of it I was thinking, what the heck...tough guys, but would they be able to eat a TS pod? So I put a glass of milk together with a slice of a bread on the table, with the unripe pod. And I prepared myself for the battle. I did not know how epic it can be... I cut it into half, then sliced one half into 4 pieces.
Then I tried it. The smell of the pod was typical Chinense, nothing surprising. I ate the first piece, actually the tail of it. It was really nice, no waiting time (like with the Habaneros), it immediately kicked in, but it did not seem to be so strong. Then I tried the next quarter...and I started to feel the burn on my tounge, not on the back of it, but in the front. It took 5 mins to recover, I was breathing like Darth Wader, making strange noises. :fireball: I started to feel some torpidity (hopefully it is the right word) in my arms, first in my left arm (I thought the heart attack would be something similar), then in my right...then the back of my head started to do the same. My girlfriend did not really understand me: I was laughing, but my head did not show the same :drooling: Then I took the third piece, mainly placenta...it was nothing compared to the previous ones...it went down, and immediately started to burn the left side of my throat and the back of my tounge. It was like swallowing some barbed-wire. I was at my 20 mins, and I did not take any milk. I had some nose running. After a good five mins, I took the last piece, and it was the rown on my evening. The right side of my throat (I wonder if it even exists, but heck I was feeling it) started to burn, and it was the most intense burn I have ever felt. It was not really burn, it was pure pain. The tip of my nose started the same thing like my arms before, it was quite funny. It was at my 35 mins. Then I had a great idea: to drink some milk. I swear to the Pepper God it was the worst idea of that evening!
The burn was tripled, and I slightly started to shake. It was like during fever...my body was damn hot, but I felt my 26 Celsius flat very cold... I had to eat the slice of the bread and another glass of milk. It took another 15 mins to recover. But then I was soooo happy! And my girfriend now knows I am an idiot. ;)
Cannot wait to try a ripe pod and the Bhut!
What surprised me is the number of the seeds in the pod, from one half I counted like 15 healthy, but still unripe seeds.

Balázs

DESPITE IT ALL, YOU DID GREATTT.. You described it perfectly. I know exactly what you were feeling ... AND, I still want more. Its a sickness. Great description and I hope you didn't feel too much pain.

Great looking peppers too.. good growing to you

Good to know! I think it's always better to ask the folks that grow them what's the best way to eat them too. Thanks Balázs

Indeed. I just got some hot Alma Paprika seeds from one of my friend. If you would like to try them, this fall I might send you some. (along with some recipe :P )

Crazy or not, good stuff! Keep the photos and posts coming!
Hi Brent. Thanks for following my glog!

Great market pics, Balázs! I really miss that about Europe.
We went to markets like that in every place we visited. There
are a few nice markets like that here in our area, but it's just
not the same, and certainly not as convenient.
Where have you been to Europe? Markets are interesting places everywhere, personally I am the one (suprisingly not my girlfriend) who can spend 2-3 hours with just looking around and shopping. :rofl:

Hmmm, stuffed with cabbage & cherry`s stuffed with garlic, i can imagine how that tastes. :-)

Mezo.

Not just imagine, try it! :P

Your updates with the photos and reviews are always appreciated here..............great reading material and very entertaining!

Greg

Thank you, Greg! Having my glog followed by you is a real honor. One of your last year's photo is the wallpaper on my smartphone. :whistle:

DESPITE IT ALL, YOU DID GREATTT.. You described it perfectly. I know exactly what you were feeling ... AND, I still want more. Its a sickness. Great description and I hope you didn't feel too much pain.

Great looking peppers too.. good growing to you

Hi Pia

Thanks for stopping by. I am glad you understand me. We are all pepperheads, from the incurable type. :crazy: :lol:

Balázs

very very nice! you've got a great looking bunch of chiles. good luck with the rest of the season.

Indeed. I just got some hot Alma Paprika seeds from one of my friend. If you would like to try them, this fall I might send you some. (along with some recipe :P )
Oh yes please! Take a look at my trade list and let me know if you see anything there you'd like to try. Cheers

"Where have you been to Europe? Markets are interesting places everywhere, personally I am the one (suprisingly not my girlfriend) who can spend 2-3 hours with just looking around and shopping"

We lived in Spain for a couple of years, and have spent time in
Austria and Germany with small visits to Portugal, Holland, Italy and France.

Unfortunately it has been 6 or 7 years since we spent time there.
We took my dad to Asturias Northern Spain for three weeks, then.
The vast majority of our 'Europe time' was in northern and central Spain.

We loved every minute!

Back