• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Harvest

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Solid, Rocottos dont do well down here? I thought most peppers do because of our semi tropical climate

Rocotos don't play in the heat as well as most other peppers and in particular they won't set fruit well during hot intense-sunny weather.  I can grow them pretty easily here in Seattle with minimal accommodations because it's a moderate climate.  When I grew them in Florida they took more special treatment. 

Congrats to SS and anyone else who gets solid production in the Sunshine State.

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Solid, Rocottos dont do well down here? I thought most peppers do because of our semi tropical climate
No, they're super high maintenance. They absolutely hate the humidity, and they don't really start to show promise until we start to get at least 15 degrees temp difference between day and night. I actually have to keep them in shade for all but about 2 hours per day.

I mean, I'm just one guy. But I did a lot of research before I tackled this task. Rocotos not doing well in Florida is a recurring theme. To be honest, the only reason that I took it up, was because all I ever heard, was that they "won't grow in Florida", and I just couldn't accept that as any sort of truth. LOL

My buddy Wicked Mike down here has some plants even farther south. He's a pretty in-tune grower, and we seemed to have a fair bit of overlap in our challenge. I'm gonna say that he's a better grower than I am, so if he says they don't grow well here, that's a better opinion than mine. (but a second one, nonetheless)

On another note... once they do start to produce, I found that the branches - which seem to have more of a vine habit than upright - have a tendency to be so heavy from the fruit, that they sometimes strip right off the main stem. I got a couple of days of light wind, and it stripped main branches right off the main stem. Most of them survived with only a little piece still attached. But these are some seriously dense and heavy pods! And the plants are prolific...

Thats wild and I dont blame ya, Id tackle the challenge too just because I could. I do have a section of yard that is dense in palms and cooler than the rest of my yard, maybe Ill try as well after this grow season.

Make sure they're in big (huge) pots, and have Neem on hand at all times. They're broad mite and whitefly candy. I spray every week in summer months.

Picked my first Aji Pineapple today.

20190121_184753.jpg

Not going to be harvesting for a while but, I see there is a bit of discussion about rocottos. The do not do well in the southern heat, how about western NY? I have not grown them before, how is the flavor? Do they produce quite a bit? Any suggestions?

Starting from the left going clockwise

Purple UFOs (left to ripen till they start to turn red)
Yaki Blue Fawn
Not sure. Either Fresno or Jalapeno or some type of hybrid. Grown from seeds from a mates plant that had no idea what it was.
Padron
Aji Rojo
An Aussie 20c piece
Orange Habs
Barbere Coffee Brown
Aji Cito in the middle

Back