• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HBJ 2015 - Got a box of pepper love in mail today!!!

Just getting this thrown up here so I can do some edits to it as it is shorter than I want it.

Scaling back my supers to one 30 plant raised bed and one 30 plant hab like bed.

annuums, sweets, and misc peppers will go in the back garden.  Since I had 8 rows of hots out there this year and only planning on 2-3 rows next year, it should make more room for other things.  Also scaling back the number of each type of plant I am growing.  Looking at most 2 per plant type, except for the ones in the back garden.  

Raised Bed 1                                                                    Raised Bed 2

Big Sun (2)                                                                              TS Yellow (2)
BMJ (2)                                                                                   Burgundy (2)
Mustard (2)                                                                             Fatalii (2)
CGN21500 (2)                                                                        Jigsaw (2)
Roatan (2)                                                                              Reaper (2)
Capuccino (2)                                                                         TS Caramel (1)
Orange Blob (2)                                                                      Neyde X (1)                                                                                                                  
Peach Hab (1)                                                                         White Fatalii (1)
Yellow Hab (1)                                                                        Mystery (2)
Bart (1)                                                                                   Nebru (1)
Yellow Congo (1)                                                                    Chocolate Fatalii (1)
BMJ cross (1)                                                                          TS Peach (1)
Picante (2)                                                                               Red Mushroom (1)
Lantern (1)                                                                              MoA (2)
Hand Grenade (1)                                                                   Red Scotch (1)
Chocolate Habanero (1)                                                          Orange Scotch (1)

Back Garden

Stuffing Peppers

Goliath Jalapeno (6)
Biggie Chile (3)
Budapest (3)
Time Bomb (3)

Other

HBJ F4 (12)
Aji Hab (1)
Tepin (1)
Lemon Drop (1)
Bajio (4)
Chenzo (1 OW) +1
Thai (1)
Sandia (1)
Donne Sali (1)
Cascabella (1)
NWY (1)

Containers

Manzano (4)
Inca (1)
Guatemalan Yellow (2)

Sweet

Yellow Lipstick
Red Lipstick
Golden Treasure
Rojo
Jimmy
Dulce Rojo
LaRouge
Patio Red
Golden Californian
Atris
Aruba
Gypsy
Pimiento
Early Sunsation
Big Bertha
Chinese Giant Bell
Golden Summer
Sweet Goliath

Still haven't narrowed down a number on the sweets yet.

Got the rest of my hots in the dirt today.  I planted another 8 Jigsaw seeds so I can give 4 plants to each of a couple coworkers that grow hot peppers but just what they can get locally.  They really enjoyed the pods I brought into work.

I also doubled the Time Bomb plants from 3 to 6 and added 4 Piment D' Esplette that Marc was so kind as to send me.

Got my first pod going.  Off my OW Chenzo.

10424324_10203822407990708_4197082918158155799_n.jpg

Had some Root Riot plugs here and decided to give them a go to use them up.  Lots of helmets whereas the jiffy plug plants have zero helmets to date.

maximumcapsicum said:
Great new glog HJeff! Sorry I haven't been around much... Gonna be following along as I can though. how have you been liking those sauce recipes?

I haven't been around much either....working 6 days is brutal.  I've been doing a lot of asking around on recipes and getting ideas from the sauce forum here.  The one I made out of my cayenne peppers is loved by the non pepper heads.  MoA Madness seems to be the best of them all so far.  Even though the cayenne isn't as hot, it seems to be the one that let most of the ferment flavor shine through.  Loving that part of that sauce.  Getting ready to do 3 more ferments out of peppers I have in the freezer.  I don't see me doing a sauce without fermenting now.

All my pot ups have straightened out after pot up.  The root riot helmet heads are also growing out of them.  So far so good.

Got a major snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow.  Might mess up my ice fishing Monday night.

Just got caught up here.  You're off to a great start, Jeff.  That's a nice collection of lures I saw in one of the pictures.  Are those actively used or retirees?

How's the weather?

Sawyer said:
Just got caught up here.  You're off to a great start, Jeff.  That's a nice collection of lures I saw in one of the pictures.  Are those actively used or retirees?

How's the weather?

That's just some I got off ebay and I am in the process of reselling.  Some are ones I will be keeping to fish with though.  Been on a vintage lure buying kick as of late.  Trying to see how many of the older lures I can take out and catch walleye with.  Which is odd since 95 percent of my walleye fishing is live bait.

In the process I picked up a Bagley Mama Cat lure and have been putting a collection of those together.  In the mancave I hung an old minnow seine I used to seine minnows with as a kid and I hang my lure collections on it.  Mostly all Rapala lures, but I do have a Rebel Baitfish Series collection.  

Used to have a massive Rapala collection, but they keep reissuing older baits and there is no way to keep up with the collecting.  It just went nuts, so I sold off most all of them and used that money for new stuff on the boat :) (Ipilot link and a humminbird fish finder)

I bought 20 Rapala fat rap 5 lures off a guy on ebay for a price of 2.50 each.  I turned around and sold one for 15 and three others for 15.  Still have a few more to sell, but some are going in the tackle box.  The one that sold for 15 was sold last week.  I just picked up another one from a seller for 2.25.  If I don't sell it, it will go in the tackle box as well.

I run a lot of shad raps, fat raps, ripshads, and wally divers for walleye.  I started buying cheap beater lures off ebay to fish in the river and figure out where the snags were before I used my good lures lol.  
10891810_10203732330898837_2246947640760346776_n.jpg

Looking great all round Jeff! Love the lure collection. Rapala's are probably my favourite crankbaits. Nice tip for using cheap beaters for snag finding beforehand, that'll help save me a bit of cash there!
Are the cheap ebay Rapala's genuine or knockoffs?

Very cool.  I don't collect, but I've got a few older lures from when I was a kid.  They were hand-me-downs from my older brother.  That was 50+ years ago.

BTW, I got the NWYB seeds you sent.  Thanks for that.  I'll plant some of them and some of my original '13 stash.  Hopefully eventually we can stabilize the banana fragrance.  I saw that pepperlover has a mango-scented and -flavored baccatum.  I had to order it.

MeatHead1313 said:
Looking great all round Jeff! Love the lure collection. Rapala's are probably my favourite crankbaits. Nice tip for using cheap beaters for snag finding beforehand, that'll help save me a bit of cash there!
Are the cheap ebay Rapala's genuine or knockoffs?

If they are advertised as rapala, they should be rapala.  Buying a large group of lures usually is the cheapest way to go.  I have a couple sellers that list a ton of stuff, starting at 1 cent.  I usually pay attention to their auctions and if I see a lot of stuff is going cheap, I will pick up quite a few single auctions since they combine shipping.

I wish I could trade you something for walleye.  Haven't had real walleye in probably 25 years.  Used to go to MN and catch quite a few back in the day, but haven't been since teenage years.  Bought some at a fish market a few years back since they left the skin on and I could tell it looked legit, but just wasn't the same.  I love all the restaurants selling all you can eat walleye around here for just a few bucks.  I know its not real, I just wish they weren't allow to advertise like that.  

Plants all looking good also.  Good luck on your season, hope those nirnaja picantes and bonda ma jacques turn out good for you.

Back