• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HBJ 2015 - Got a box of pepper love in mail today!!!

Just getting this thrown up here so I can do some edits to it as it is shorter than I want it.

Scaling back my supers to one 30 plant raised bed and one 30 plant hab like bed.

annuums, sweets, and misc peppers will go in the back garden.  Since I had 8 rows of hots out there this year and only planning on 2-3 rows next year, it should make more room for other things.  Also scaling back the number of each type of plant I am growing.  Looking at most 2 per plant type, except for the ones in the back garden.  

Raised Bed 1                                                                    Raised Bed 2

Big Sun (2)                                                                              TS Yellow (2)
BMJ (2)                                                                                   Burgundy (2)
Mustard (2)                                                                             Fatalii (2)
CGN21500 (2)                                                                        Jigsaw (2)
Roatan (2)                                                                              Reaper (2)
Capuccino (2)                                                                         TS Caramel (1)
Orange Blob (2)                                                                      Neyde X (1)                                                                                                                  
Peach Hab (1)                                                                         White Fatalii (1)
Yellow Hab (1)                                                                        Mystery (2)
Bart (1)                                                                                   Nebru (1)
Yellow Congo (1)                                                                    Chocolate Fatalii (1)
BMJ cross (1)                                                                          TS Peach (1)
Picante (2)                                                                               Red Mushroom (1)
Lantern (1)                                                                              MoA (2)
Hand Grenade (1)                                                                   Red Scotch (1)
Chocolate Habanero (1)                                                          Orange Scotch (1)

Back Garden

Stuffing Peppers

Goliath Jalapeno (6)
Biggie Chile (3)
Budapest (3)
Time Bomb (3)

Other

HBJ F4 (12)
Aji Hab (1)
Tepin (1)
Lemon Drop (1)
Bajio (4)
Chenzo (1 OW) +1
Thai (1)
Sandia (1)
Donne Sali (1)
Cascabella (1)
NWY (1)

Containers

Manzano (4)
Inca (1)
Guatemalan Yellow (2)

Sweet

Yellow Lipstick
Red Lipstick
Golden Treasure
Rojo
Jimmy
Dulce Rojo
LaRouge
Patio Red
Golden Californian
Atris
Aruba
Gypsy
Pimiento
Early Sunsation
Big Bertha
Chinese Giant Bell
Golden Summer
Sweet Goliath

Still haven't narrowed down a number on the sweets yet.

Couldn't find any big bomb seeds this year.  It appears to have been replaced by the time bomb pepper.  Going to taste test this one after work today.

11222421_10204438480672140_7376059914311810220_n.jpg

11038931_10204446759799113_3807583615493484911_n.jpg

Time bomb.  What a shocker on this one.  First pod off the plant, I'm thinking light taste, little heat.  Instant mouth burn, really attacking the tongue.  Throat burn as well.  I was thinking something around 15k, but it is a lot more than that.  50-60k.  Everything I've read online shows this pepper no more than 1100.  One would barely feel any heat from 1100.  smh

All peppers are now outside.  Last two nights were pushing frost, so I delayed bringing them out.  Next week they will be going into the dirt.  I expect some sunburn like usual, but they will bounce back once in the dirt.

Stopped off at the local greenhouse and picked up 12 Heinz 57 tomato plants.  Suppose to be great sauce tomatoes, so I decided to pick them up.  Only thing I don't like is they are determinate.  At a 1.50 a 4 pack, I'll risk 5 bucks on them.

That is a beautiful plot right there. Why don't you like that the Heinz 57 are determinate? Too bushy? All of mine are indeterminate and I had to cut long bamboo poles just to stake and support them!

Been a while since I've checked in here. Looking good Jeff! Beautiful gobbler too!
HillBilly Jeff said:
Go fishing they say....it'll be fun they say.....

11150494_10204255905187867_1254154799680235940_n.jpg
Thankfully so far that's one problem I haven't had while fishing. I just tend to get stung by anything that'll hurt like hell when it happens!

Glad I stopped planting peppers.  Checked the sun screen hut and my TSP and TSC were really limp like they were way low on water.  They had plenty of water so I brought them in the house.  15 minutes and they perked right back up.  For some reason they must not be able to take the cold like the others.

Put the plastic on the hoops for my habaneros.  They are, for the most part, out of transplant shock already.  Glad it was a overcast cool day, just wish it wasn't hitting 39 tonight.

Will still have some sunburn I am sure, but they will come out of that.  Almost over the hump on planting.

Been eating lettuce, spinach, and radishes for a week.

Beds and garden plot looks fantastic. Soil looks rich. I hope Summer comes soon. We've been dealing with rain like crazy the past few weeks. Do you have to put up shade cloth when Summer arrives? From what I remember from last year your beds had some shade. Well anyways, your way ahead of the game.

Good luck Jeff. I hope you've got some fishing in.

Chuck

OCD Chilehead said:
Beds and garden plot looks fantastic. Soil looks rich. I hope Summer comes soon. We've been dealing with rain like crazy the past few weeks. Do you have to put up shade cloth when Summer arrives? From what I remember from last year your beds had some shade. Well anyways, your way ahead of the game.

Good luck Jeff. I hope you've got some fishing in.

Chuck

Don't have to run shade in the summer here.  I did cover late fall to extend the season.  My manzano peppers are in a container and in the shade though.

Beds look nice. Sorry to hear about the temperature troubles... growing up north comes with a heap of problems. I am going to try some late onions to fill in the gaps left by cilantro. Following some of your growing strategies even though the season is going to be pushing it (they will be transplanted in early june and stay outside until Nov or Dec.

Brought all the peppers back inside today.  Going to get close to 39 again tonight and the wind is still kicking the peppers butts.  A few were wilted bad until I brought them in.  I think tonight is the last night of it though.  So glad I got the row cover on the ones I did plant.  They perked right up.

Second raised bed was put in yesterday.  The two beds are holding all my hot peppers except the jalapeno, biggie, budapest, cayenne, chenzo, and manzano peppers.  With the way my freezer looks, this should be plenty of hot peppers.  Going to get more put in the back garden after work.

10995630_10204503094607448_444917224163448669_n.jpg

OW and new chenzo plant already kicking out pods.

11167795_10204502892682400_5230044490289280747_n.jpg

Time bomb round two. Not as hot as the first one I had, but much hotter than the advertised 1100. Attacks the top of the tongue first, progressing forward to tip. Then the gums and finally the lips. When the heat recedes (about five minutes) it lingers on lips, gum, and top of tongue. Got some nose run on this half of pod I ate. Didn't make my hair sweat though.
Not sure why these are so much more than advertised.

11014927_10204503215690475_8640127043635203642_n.jpg

10405233_10204503216130486_7220698008648303930_n.jpg

Got the rest of the peppers in (mild and sweets).  I still have 4 manzano to get in their container for the summer.  Other than pickles, zukes, and some melons, all is in the ground.  The irrigation is all in except for the pickles and the spuds.  All the heavy lifting should be done until picking kicks in full swing.

Great to have them out of the house.

One thing I noticed, last year too, the habs sun burn worse than any of my other peppers.  Supers in the next bed over show little to no burn, while the habs have been toasted bad.  They bounced back last season, so I don't see why they won't this year too.

Only one pepper without a tag.  I do have two mystery peppers that I didn't know what they were last year, liked them, and am growing them again this year.

Extremely windy here today.  Had to put up the south half of my raised bed hoop cover to protect a little from this wind.  The sun shade is helping the hab bed.  I pulled the trigger and ordered another shade cloth for the other bed.

Hope this wind lays tonight.

Back