• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HBJ 2015 - Got a box of pepper love in mail today!!!

Just getting this thrown up here so I can do some edits to it as it is shorter than I want it.

Scaling back my supers to one 30 plant raised bed and one 30 plant hab like bed.

annuums, sweets, and misc peppers will go in the back garden.  Since I had 8 rows of hots out there this year and only planning on 2-3 rows next year, it should make more room for other things.  Also scaling back the number of each type of plant I am growing.  Looking at most 2 per plant type, except for the ones in the back garden.  

Raised Bed 1                                                                    Raised Bed 2

Big Sun (2)                                                                              TS Yellow (2)
BMJ (2)                                                                                   Burgundy (2)
Mustard (2)                                                                             Fatalii (2)
CGN21500 (2)                                                                        Jigsaw (2)
Roatan (2)                                                                              Reaper (2)
Capuccino (2)                                                                         TS Caramel (1)
Orange Blob (2)                                                                      Neyde X (1)                                                                                                                  
Peach Hab (1)                                                                         White Fatalii (1)
Yellow Hab (1)                                                                        Mystery (2)
Bart (1)                                                                                   Nebru (1)
Yellow Congo (1)                                                                    Chocolate Fatalii (1)
BMJ cross (1)                                                                          TS Peach (1)
Picante (2)                                                                               Red Mushroom (1)
Lantern (1)                                                                              MoA (2)
Hand Grenade (1)                                                                   Red Scotch (1)
Chocolate Habanero (1)                                                          Orange Scotch (1)

Back Garden

Stuffing Peppers

Goliath Jalapeno (6)
Biggie Chile (3)
Budapest (3)
Time Bomb (3)

Other

HBJ F4 (12)
Aji Hab (1)
Tepin (1)
Lemon Drop (1)
Bajio (4)
Chenzo (1 OW) +1
Thai (1)
Sandia (1)
Donne Sali (1)
Cascabella (1)
NWY (1)

Containers

Manzano (4)
Inca (1)
Guatemalan Yellow (2)

Sweet

Yellow Lipstick
Red Lipstick
Golden Treasure
Rojo
Jimmy
Dulce Rojo
LaRouge
Patio Red
Golden Californian
Atris
Aruba
Gypsy
Pimiento
Early Sunsation
Big Bertha
Chinese Giant Bell
Golden Summer
Sweet Goliath

Still haven't narrowed down a number on the sweets yet.

HillBilly Jeff said:
My main thought in the spring time hoop house is hardening off.  They won't do that under the plastic, so that means bringing them in and out. 

I don't know Jeff, mine seem like they are hardening off (to the sun at least) pretty well under plastic. Either way though, plastic is a lot easier to remove to harden off then to bring all of the plants outside everyday. another plus is that you can pull the plastic when it rains. No watering that week. :D.

Your plants are looking great, Jeff.  They won't look "crappy and small" for long after you plant them out.

In my experience, plexiglass can crack when used as a counter top.  I don't know what it's called, but I have some milky-white translucent plastic that I like for that sort of thing.  It'll take dings and cuts without cracking.  Maybe it's HDPE:  "FDA approved for use in the food processing industry", "high impact strength, abrasion resistance, and a low coefficient of friction".

Jeff H said:

I don't know Jeff, mine seem like they are hardening off (to the sun at least) pretty well under plastic. Either way though, plastic is a lot easier to remove to harden off then to bring all of the plants outside everyday. another plus is that you can pull the plastic when it rains. No watering that week. :D.

Got up to 80 inside the hoop house yesterday and this morning it was the same temp as outside, 35.  It is 80 in there right now too.  I do love them for frost protection in the fall though...it was nice picking peppers in November.
OCD Chilehead said:
Looks good Jeff. I hope you start feeling better. I need to get off my a$$ and put my hoop bender to use. Glad to see your out fishing again. Catching too! LOL. Here's to a great start.

Thanks for sharing

Chuck

I am feeling much better.  Took a trip to the docs on Monday and those meds kicked its butt almost immediately.  Tried a hot pepper today and the meds must be making my stomach more sensitive as it is burning ever since and I can't take antacids on this med.

I might stick a couple plants under the plastic and see how they fair there hardening off.

Got me some dark meat to smoke!!!!

11169922_10204393337703594_1125803711210565651_n.jpg

I see those turkeys everyday here outside like a flock of 40+ my German Shepherd wants to chase them. I've wanted to trap one and eat it but never have I'll YouTube a trap and see if I can snag one

Everything looks great Jeff.Glad its time for us northerners to get the plants outside.Is that a masterbuilt smoker you use?(nice bird)I did summer sausage friday on mine.

Great looking bird! Congrats.

Pvc shade cloth frame looks damn good. I've got some 30% on order myself to try out over my 20' raised bed. Going to see if the plants do better with it. Mostly going to use it to harden off the plants.

Back