• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Heat from foods other than chilis.

Novacastrian said:
Hey Pat wasabi aint that bad mate, an initial burn like no other (try exhaling through your nose with a mouth full!) but the heat only lasts a couple of seconds. Great flavour i reckon.

Thanks Nova.

You can grow the stuff? Now that's all that I needed to know. I'm off to find some seeds.:)

I like ginger when it is added to certain dishes. I DO NOT like mustard though.
Wasabi is ok but peppers are my drug of choice ;)

chilehunter said:
horse radish, never tried it.
GrumpyBear said:
i looooove pickled ginger... i've never actually tried horseradish...

You have both probably tried it if you have ever had wasabi in the U.S. I heard somewhere that 90% or more of what is passed off as wasabi is actually horseradish with green food coloring. I too like real Wasabi much better IGG. Pickled ginger, good soy sauce, lots of wasabi and a little srirachi with some good sushi... YUMMMM!

wobble said:
Wasabi peas are ok...

The peas are ok, but the PEANUTS are awesome. Hey DickT there's another good flavor idea for you.

Mustard is sort of like peppers, I have to try different ones to see what I like...this is actually the lowest on mustard I've been for long time. In rural Minnesota it's hard to find wasabi but I'm still looking.

pepperfever said:
Mustard is sort of like peppers, I have to try different ones to see what I like...this is actually the lowest on mustard I've been for long time. In rural Minnesota it's hard to find wasabi but I'm still looking.

Even in Urban Germany wasabi is hard to get. The Asia shops have mixes with some wasabi in it.:(

JayT said:
The peas are ok, but the PEANUTS are awesome. Hey DickT there's another good flavor idea for you.

I'll second that one, Jay. Those things are freaking incredible.

But here they're just like chocolate covered coffee beans....super hard to find and pricey as all hell.

Potawie:

Wasabi takes a long time to grow. Hydro works the berries for wasabi, but the crop cycle is measured in years, not days.

Big money if you grow enough.

JayT said:
You have both probably tried it if you have ever had wasabi in the U.S. I heard somewhere that 90% or more of what is passed off as wasabi is actually horseradish with green food coloring. I too like real Wasabi much better IGG. Pickled ginger, good soy sauce, lots of wasabi and a little srirachi with some good sushi... YUMMMM!
That is 100% true. "Western" Wasabi is just horseradish and green food coloring. There's no wasabi in it. The real stuff tastes alot different.

willard3 said:
Potawie:

Wasabi takes a long time to grow. Hydro works the berries for wasabi, but the crop cycle is measured in years, not days.

Big money if you grow enough.
Correct on that. It's usually 3 years to get a ripe root. They generally retail for $13 a root, that's why no one ever caries it.

i really like horseradish - the 'real' stuff is much better than say the horsey sauce you get at arbys.

Wasabi is ok in small amounts - anyone else see the movie Jack Ass where the one guy snorts wasabi?? it looked like it hurt like crazy.

I really like different mustards. bought some a while back from the store that was supposed to be a horseradish mustard - its actually a good stone ground mustard, but as far as horsey taste there is none (not that I notice).

and there's something about Chinese Hot Mustard that it doesn't take much to open up your sinuses too.

willard3 said:
My uncle came from Md one year for turkey day with a black radish; I had never seen one.

They'll give you religion just like fresh horsaradish and wasabi: hot and quick.
If I recall correctly, it's the same chemical in both horseraddish and radishes that make them spicey.

I like wasabi but my problem is that it's flavor doesn't go with a lot of foods that I eat. Just had it served so I could try it on Chicken ala King and that doesn't work. I don't like pure horseradish. Goes straight to my head.

Back