• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Heavy Metal Thread......list your faves

Reading this thread makes me feel old. I had my T-shirt, on front "Disco Sucks" on back "Rush 2112", in school. I flat refuse to listen to country music and survived the "Urban Cowboy" phase with my taste still intact.

My very first show was Foghat/Blue Oyster Cult...$9.25 U.S. at the door in 1980.

Attended, in it's entirety, the US Festival in 1983. Suffered through Flock of Seagulls, Wall of Vodoo, INXS, The Divinyls and the like.

Heavy Metal Sunday Rocked. OZZY, Judas Priest and the Scorps. Hell, even Triumph put on a good show. All for 25 bucks a day. Loved it all!

This may go back a ways, however, my favorite act is still Alice Cooper. Not even "Metal" by todays standards. 25 studio albums...that's quite a standard for popular music. 2008's "Along Came a Spider" is a gem.

Metal is still my fancy. Just bought Endgame and Black Gives way to Blue this morning.

I find this thread helpful in that now, I have a bunch of band names and music to investigate. Thanks a bunch.

scottborkowski said:
R I flat refuse to listen to country music and survived the "Urban Cowboy" phase with my taste still intact..

That's what I like to hear! Once a metal fan, always a metal fan.

What do you think of Engame? I personally love it.

scottborkowski said:
This may go back a ways, however, my favorite act is still Alice Cooper. Not even "Metal" by todays standards. 25 studio albums...that's quite a standard for popular music. 2008's "Along Came a Spider" is a gem.

Alice is a legend and still ranks as one of the best acts I've ever seen live.

Endgame rocks! It's just what I expected. No real surprises, just solid, chunky, beefy rock and roll. I do like a well placed and melodic guitar solo.

Can't pick a favorite yet but "This is How the Story Ends" does get my head bobbin'

Beerswimmer said:
Newer Metal: Meshuggah(listening to right now!!), Devildriver, Slipknot, and Dethklok(new album out Sept 29!!!).

Meshuggah is one of my favorite bands but far from new. I've been listening to them since the early 90s and they've been around since 87.

I've never heard any Dethklok but Gene Hoglan is their drummer so it must be good. I'm going to see them in a month when they come around with Mastodon and Converge.

Being from the Des Moines area, I've been privileged to watch Slipknot / Stone Sour develop over the years. Their local shows are a riot. Everyone gets it up for the local boys done well.

Another Des Moines area band to watch for is "Index Case" They have had a slower start and some turnover issues but they are a gritty, gnarly metal band. Their old stuff is worth a listen.

Oh, and I do like the band "Prong". Snap your fingers, snap your neck!

Hell yeah, Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck. I love that tune. Cleansing is a pretty good album overall. How is the rest of their material? That's the only album I've ever heard.

It's all good! Cleansing is a damn good album but imho Rude Awakening is their best. Tommy Victor is a cool guy.

Badger said:
It's all good! Cleansing is a damn good album but imho Rude Awakening is their best. Tommy Victor is a cool guy.

Cool. I'll definitely have to check it out then. Is the overall style similiar to Cleansing?

Thanatopsis said:
Cool. I'll definitely have to check it out then. Is the overall style similiar to Cleansing?

Not really - Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck is the closest in style and tempo to the content of Rude Awakening. The songs are more closely knit and fluid than those on Cleansing. The album is themed on the brutal oppression carried out in Soviet era Russia and the despair felt by the people - it's a very dark album. The grinding industrial guitars and drumbeats really back up the whole feel of it. I doubt it's to everyone's taste but it's one of my favourite ever albums. The title track

Nice choice of songs CP:cool: It's nice to know I'm not the only Prong fan - hardly anyone here has even heard of them let alone likes them.

Back