• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HellBoar's glog - starting 2014-11-30

Hi folks!! I am so excited!!!! Here is a pic of my very first germinated seed, a pimenta de neyde that took about a week to get to this point. Have some others that are still in the ziplock/paper towel, but this is my first so far!!! Cute lil guy ain't he? I'll transfer him to a DWC bucket when he gets big/old enough. Hoping my lights arrive before then hehe. Woohoo, I am offcially a creator now!!! ;)

eO6RdfM.jpg

HB

I'm thinking about your 30x6' room... that may be a challenge considering your climate during these cold months..

Below is a pic of my little grow bench from the 2014 season:

192.JPG

I'm only showing this because with something like this you could hang something in front of the bench, like an old blanket to keep the heat in. You could even try using the "gorilla shelves" (racks). I also use them for overflow ;)

I would definitely make sure you can maintain the warmer temps before putting the babies out there.

Good luck this season! You're on your way!

Yeah, the gorilla shelves idea is great!!! Will look into that. Until I know what kind of heat ill be getting with the lights, I'll be on hold for that project, sholdn't be long until I receive them in the mail (I hope). Cheers and thnx for the ecouragement Devv

HB

Here's a pic of my Pimenta de Neyde's progress, second set of leaves coming out nicely. I love the little peach fuzz like stuff on the leaves, its pretty neat, and I love the purplish tinge of the stem.

fvolhjc.jpg

Here's the little project I just finished that will be my growing station, I will set up my lights on the top of the frame, with a lowering mechanism (that's what I have to do next). I like that it's modular, so I will be able to add more tiers to it as needed down the line. Simply awesome!!! Only cost me 28$ to make!

6e28xVg.jpg

9xnTZFl.jpg

More soon!

Someones having fun! keep us posted. And take even more picture I really enjoy looking at projects like this from start to finish.

Gotta love saving money especially when first starting out. Lighting, soil, nutes, seeds and all the other pieces can add up quick so being able to cut costs by making things yourself where and when you can rocks.

Here is my De Neyde after 7 days of aerogarden, coming along nicely for my first pepper ;) Problem is, I have to figure out how much nutes to upgrade to now that its bigger...can anyone give me a mL figure? I currently have 8mL of nutes in the aerogarden, but i read somewhere that this is only good for the start, and that I have to increase it once a second set of leaves appears...plus, is it good to add anything else at this point?

h99SUCO.jpg

And here, just for kicks and giggles, is a pic of my new germination experiment (thanks for the tip to someone on the forum, can't remember who it was) since the paper towel method doesn't seem to be working very well for me so far (maybe im not patient enough? But I just have a bad feeling that its not working). The preparation for this was fun, so we'll see what happens. Crossing my fingers!!

mSVlRk1.jpg

hmmm i'm still using the same amount of nuts in my reservoir even after 3rd set of leaves. I don't know if i should be upping them either lol they seem to be doing fine though

HellBoar said:
Here is my De Neyde after 7 days of aerogarden, coming along nicely for my first pepper ;) Problem is, I have to figure out how much nutes to upgrade to now that its bigger...can anyone give me a mL figure? I currently have 8mL of nutes in the aerogarden, but i read somewhere that this is only good for the start, and that I have to increase it once a second set of leaves appears...plus, is it good to add anything else at this point?

h99SUCO.jpg

And here, just for kicks and giggles, is a pic of my new germination experiment (thanks for the tip to someone on the forum, can't remember who it was) since the paper towel method doesn't seem to be working very well for me so far (maybe im not patient enough? But I just have a bad feeling that its not working). The preparation for this was fun, so we'll see what happens. Crossing my fingers!!

mSVlRk1.jpg

hmmm i'm still using the same amount of nuts in my reservoir even after 3rd set of leaves. I don't know if i should be upping them either lol they seem to be doing fine though

PaulS said:
I love the growing station! Is it in use yet?
No it's not in use yet Paul, I still have to set up my T5's to it and I want to get more plants going before I put it to use. It's going to be amazing!!!!

Génial! Content de voir un autre grow log de Québécois!!

I see you did not do the same error as me which is get a 2ft fixture :( . I wish I bought the 4ft one...
Are these the final varieties you will grow or will you be adding some varieties.

I will certainly follow your progress in the next weeks :) I should be starting mine somewhere in January. This year I'm gonna focus on ajis and rocotos, cause supers are not for me hehehe.

Thanks keep growing!
Teurf

Teurf said:
Génial! Content de voir un autre grow log de Québécois!!

I see you did not do the same error as me which is get a 2ft fixture :( . I wish I bought the 4ft one...
Are these the final varieties you will grow or will you be adding some varieties.

I will certainly follow your progress in the next weeks :) I should be starting mine somewhere in January. This year I'm gonna focus on ajis and rocotos, cause supers are not for me hehehe.

Thanks keep growing!
Teurf
Merci! Oui, tu as raison, c'est cool de voir d'autres Quebecois ici!!

The varieties that I have started are by no means the only ones that I will grow. I am just experimenting at the moment and will most likely start a bunch more varieties (hope to have enough space ahaha).

Keep on' growin!!! HB

Is this cause for concern? Yellowing of coty tips?

D1bqO2R.jpg

Wasn't sure where to post this, here in my glog, or as a separate matter, so I started another thread...Anyhow it will be in two places...

Here is an update on my aerogarden grows.

Pimenta de Neyde are coming along nicely, the purple is so nice.

AixlvOw.jpg

Added some other germinated seeds to the aerogarden today: Scotch Bonnet, Peach Naga, Criolla Sella, Doux d'Espagne and Friariello di Napoli

cpwe6dX.jpg

Also I finally got around to setting up my grow lights on my new power tower that I built. Lookin awesome. I planted the above peppers in soil as well and will see the difference, also will be back up plants hehe.

0NUeRGq.jpg

TjHkWvw.jpg

KbuQvII.jpg

I'm so excited!!!!! Coming along nicely. Feels like its sunny in my living room!!!!

Congrats on the sprouts!. Nothing is more exciting than watching things grow.
I'm with Scott on the grow area temperature. Everything else can be perfect but if the night temps frequently dip below 60-65°F it will slow the peppers growth considerably. That's what I learned my on my first crop. Bulbs will definitely add some warmth. You might consider a makeshift tent, even with some insulation on it, to isolate some of that 6x30 space and capture that bulb and ballast heat.,

PDNs are looking great! 
Good Luck for 2015.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Jessee! The lights that I show in the pictures aren't in my 6x30 space, it's in my living room hehe. I decided to skip the 6x30 for now as it will truly get cold out there this winter. This way, they are indoors and no worries for the cold. Yeah, my PDN is really growing fast, I truly love the purple color of the leaves and stem.

HB

HellBoar said:
 Feels like its sunny in my living room!!!!

Every year I look forward to starting seeds for that reason (among others, I guess). There's nothing like sitting down at the grow area with a Modelo Especial and a shortwave radio tuned to some tropical station and doing some very tiny gardening in the "sunshine"!  :cool:

Nice start, HellBoar! The Pimenta de Neyde seedling is absolutely gorgeous ! :)

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
Every year I look forward to starting seeds for that reason (among others, I guess). There's nothing like sitting down at the grow area with a Modelo Especial and a shortwave radio tuned to some tropical station and doing some very tiny gardening in the "sunshine"!  :cool:
+1 for being a SW enthusiast! 
Swingin___On_a_Star__revamp__by_AutumnOwl.gif

*trots off to play with her Grundig G3*  
Escuchandote_en_la_radio_by_ReyCalavera.gif

Back