Hello from San Diego - Question about building capsaicin tolerance.

Hello everyone! My dads on vacation right now from overseas and he planted some Bhut Jolokia and Trinidad Scorpion plants here at our house in San Diego. I plan on getting into some of the super hots myself when they're finished and I'm currently trying to build my capsaicin tolerance up by eating 1 habanero a day and spicing up every meal with something a little bit milder. In a week or a two I'm going to bump it up to 1 Red Savina Habanero a day and progressively go from there. Is this a good strategy for preparing myself for some of the hotter peppers and does it get easier? I'm on day five of eating habaneros and I swear each one is hotter than the last, lol. Hopefully when I'm eating ghost peppers the habaneros won't seem as hot and I can enjoy them a little more.Thanks!  :drooling:

Hey there. Where in San Diego? I`m in North County. 

Yep, build up tolerance like that. At some point, once you are good with Red Savinas, eat a Bhut and ride the wave. The difference between Red Savinas and Bhuts is generally a very big jump. When you do it, ride it out without milk or anything else to take the heat away. That`s how you truly increase your tolerance, by riding the heat where it takes you. 

Welcome.

it sounds like a fast and very brave way to build up a tolerance
I went straight to bhut's from habanero and my stomach did not appreciate ... I dont mind the mouth burning but the "pain" is the whole other storry :)

I concur with tsurrie- I also initially jumped from Habs straight to Bhut's with nothing in between. I paid for it certainly- but the endorphin rush after the onslaught was oh so nice! It's the cramps (and throat burn) that I can't stand. The cramps are actually gas (for me at least) not actual muscle contractions. I have my own technique I do to let all the gas rip in around 1-3 huge burps- all cramps gone instantly..lol. Did however have some 'creeper cramps' the other day...onset was over 5hrs. later- the really bad chill inducing/make you hot-flash/sweat all over kind. I survived!

It's both a mental thing and an actual pain tolerance issue, some can just handle it better from the start but all can generally work their way up to a higher tolerance. And if you haven't already- you will have your 'freak out' moments! All have them- the 'Oh crap! What have I done!?!' to the inner scream of the 'Stop!, make it stop already...it just won't stop!'. That's when you have reached your threshold and it keeps building and building...and building! That's when you ride the wave...or try to. :P

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Hello and  :welcome:  to THP.  My tolerance went up by eating hot sauces. This was before I even knew there was such a thing as tolerance and when habaneros were the hottest and no one had ever heard of bhuts. I started using tabasco on eggs and such when I was maybe 12 or so like my dad. I loved it and started using it on everything. From there I was lucky because we had a huge hot sauce store (Peppers) about 15 mins away, had thousands of sauces and I was literally a kid in a candy store. Used to spend my allowance and $25 a week office cleaning paycheck on sauces. Worked my way up to the Blair's brand of sauces which were probably the hottest at the time and they blew my head off. First time I tried one (Sudden Death) I was 16 and accidentally poured too much on a burger, probably close to 2 tbsp,and took a big bite. Holy Shit! It wasn't pretty lol but after the burn went down and that endorphin rush kicked in whoooo, the feel alive slogan on the bottle was right. Played around with one of the first extracts when it came out as well (Pure Cap) but hated that burnt cat hair taste. Was ok to use in things which I guess you're supposed to do with it anyway but I was young and dumb. Never irresponsible with it but used to eat a drop or 2 by itself.

So anyway when I first tried bhuts they were insanely hot but manageable. Can't imagine what it would be like to go from something like jalapeno to ghost chiles. It does get easier. At first I couldn't figure out why after awhile the sauce didn't seem to be as hot and I was using more to get the heat and endorphin rush I loved. I thought maybe they had toned down the recipe because it was too hot. That's when I learned that you could build up a tolerance like with alcohol.

Welcome_Sign___PLZ_by_Mirz123.gif
 from India 
_wave__by_royaba-d31cibr.gif

Feel the burn! Yeah I'm jumping up from orange habs to chocolate habs. Very noticeable increase in heat for me anyways. Been taking baby bites from my Bhut but not brave enough to do a whole pod yet. Consistency builds tolerance from what I experienced.  :welcome: from Hawaii :P

Back