Help for a Beginner

I have searched around the web, a few of the threads on here (though my searching skills are lacking) and I was hoping you all could tell me if my understanding of the selling process is sound.

I am looking to sell my dry mixes online and eventually in stores as well. Now I am not sure on the ideal order of steps but, this is what I have done.

1)Perfected my mixes
2)Contacted label makers and jar sellers.
3)Have had the nutrition facts provided
4)Made sure name and domain name are avilable for purchase (They are)
5)Began researching steps to trademarking name

Now, this is where I am a bit confused. I have read that many people use co-packers others have pro-kitchens in which they cook and bottle. I have read that dry mixes like seasonings and spices have different regulations. Since they are dry certain things can be forgone like the pro-kitchen since contamination is not a huge issue.

In my case since my mixes are dry, custom made but, provided in large bag/containers by a third party can I bottle my mixes on my own at home or by hand? I would like to be free from having to work with a co-packerm with the liberty to work at my natural fast pace. Not to mention the savings in money.

Am I missing any steps?

Thanks in advance for any help

Awesome thread. I little help from those in the know. Earlier it was stated that the co-packager is liable for label content however, I recieved this from a co-packager I plan to work with.

"we do follow all FDA regulations but as a private label packager we are not liable for label content, you are because it is your label but we can look at them and tell you if they meet FDA guidelines."

"We will provide you with all needed paper work."

I am in CA and they rather enjoy climbing up my rear with a microscope - in CA my co-packer owns my label. Believe me - I'd much prefer not having to get pre-print proofs from my label company (emailed to me via pdf), sent to my mfgr, send changes (from the state) back to my designer, only to send another pre-press proof to my mfgr, then send back as approved, then send PRINT proofs (the label printed on the paper it's going to be on as a "final" version) via fed ex to my mfgr for approval, send back fed ex as approved, then print. It makes what could be a 1 day approval process into a weeks long approval process.

But indeed - I posted what is relevant to me, in my state, which is among the worst in the country when it comes to producing a food product - but conversely among the best in the country when it comes to protecting the consumer - they say the road to hell is paved with the best of intentions, and California takes that quite seriously. :rofl:

In CA I have to have a business license in the state, and a business license in my county. I have to have a state and county seller's permit. My co-packer does provide FDA nutritional content because they are liable for the label content, so it's a service they offer at $$/label - it's not a major expense. Again - state specific.

Then CA also has the 1920 acidic foods act thinggie - where they lock up new recipe batches of mine until I have 2 independent labs test, then compare the results to the state of CA lab, then wait while the inspector drags his ass over to my mfgr where my sauce sits collecting dust, sequestered, until the inspector releases it.

I think we're one of 3 states that does this. Whee!

Anyway, SL hit the nail on the head - it's state-specific and sometimes county specific. Don't ask me the hoops I'm having to go through for Farmer's markets, but it's a huge pain in the ass and lots of paperwork and everyone has their freakin hands out and dollar signs in their eyes. I had to add the FM association to my liability insurance, only they required their own thing, so that cost me another $150/year (when it could be free) - then the county said "whoa-ho-ho, not so fast there little fella - we need a county permit in place ($) and you need to do a food handling certification ($150 1-time application fee, $250/year). And remember - this all only covers my COUNTY - so if I want to do another FM that's a member of my FM association (they have 12-14) but it's across the bridge? Yep - another $150 application fee + another $250/year) - it's maddening. There's more (auto policy increase since I'm conveying product and driving in their FMs, etc, etc, etc) - all the cost of doing business.

It's better in some places - maybe worse in others. But it is what it is - it's marketing, consumer touch-point, driving sales to web & brick and mortar and it's all a long-term play. I am also the retailer at the FM, so naturally I make substantially more per bottle selling there than I do at the grocery store. But it's not without a ton of cost associated with it.

All food for thought. I think SL and I should co-write a "so you want to get into the hot sauce business" book. She can write most of it - I'll handle the forward. It'll just say "don't". :rofl:

Thanks that was very informative. It turns out that the company I am working with to make my flavoring can also package my product. I will still be liable for label content but, atleast I can cut out the co-packer.
I am in Los Angeles, CA and does indeed seem like there are a lot of requirements. Is there anywhere I can search to find everything I need? From what I gather from yours and SC post I need.

1) State sellers permit.
2) County sellers permit.
3) FDA label requirments as stated the paperwork will be provided for me.

I am unsure if I need anything else because my product is all dry ingredients, and will be made and packaged by the company I am working with.

All food for thought. I think SL and I should co-write a "so you want to get into the hot sauce business" book. She can write most of it - I'll handle the forward. It'll just say "don't". :rofl:

LDHS, you crack me up! :rofl:

Matthew, most states require a state business license/sellers permit, and your city/county/state health district can tell you what you need for health license.
SL

Then CA also has the 1920 acidic foods act thinggie - where they lock up new recipe batches of mine until I have 2 independent labs test, then compare the results to the state of CA lab, then wait while the inspector drags his ass over to my mfgr where my sauce sits collecting dust, sequestered, until the inspector releases it.

Sorry to dig this up and bump it (every forum has a different protocol) but I'm new here and have been doing some catch-up! :)

Did you look into co-packing out of state, LDHS? If so, do you know if all of these same rules apply even if manufactured somewhere else simply because you are a CA business?

Sorry to dig this up and bump it (every forum has a different protocol) but I'm new here and have been doing some catch-up! :)

Did you look into co-packing out of state, LDHS? If so, do you know if all of these same rules apply even if manufactured somewhere else simply because you are a CA business?

I believe it's specific to the state in which I manufacture.

That said, it's a 1-time thing. Now I can produce my approved recipes at will, without the sequestering. So long as my formulaes don't change I'm good.

I will have to go through the same process for my Black Label.

That said, I probably could manufacture out of state to avoid some of this (not all - the safe food handling act is federal - CA just has a few special provisions for hot-packed/acidic) but whatever I gain in savings/time, I lose in having to transport pallets of hot sauce back to CA.

While I know it's not required to have a nutrition panel on your sauce (while you're starting out and small) I still would like to include one for my future customers. I've also gotten good recommendations for companies/universities that offer nutrition testing from THP (approx $100 - $150 for the test)

Has anyone ever created the nutrition panel on their own? Is there some cheap software out there that would allow me to do this? I was hoping to save some money and also avoid disclosing my recipe/NDA process.

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a Canadian Sauce maker? I have the same issues this topic is about, except that I'm having an extremely hard time finding co packers, etc on Canada.
I've never used this(found searching google) and I'm sure it's just good for a ballpark figure.
http://www.recipecalc.com/

In culinary school we had to make nutrition labels. There are several online that do a great job.

Back