• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help out a relative newb!

Hi guys, first time posting on this forum, but not my first time growing peppers. I've been doing it for at least 6 years now, but yet, I've never had results like anything I've seen on here. SO, I've decided to come here and see the error of my ways!

First a bit about me: college student, growing peppers on an apartment balcony. I used to grow from seed, but for the past few years have started ordering from Cross Country Nurseries and have had what I thought was success. Yeah, right. This year, I've got a bunch of varieties, some that I've grown before, some that I haven't:

1. Red Savina
2. Fatilii
3. Bhut Jolokia
4. Devil's Tongue
5. Biker Billy Jala.
6. Big Red bell
7. Serrano Del Sol
8. Trinidad Scorpion
9. Naga Morich

As of now, I only have the RS, Fatilii, BJ, Jalapeno, bell and Serrano planted. Here's my questions:

1. My soil is a custom blend of the Miracle Gro potting mix, vermiculite, quartz sand, humus/manure compost and earthworm castings. The potting mix and the compost are about 1-1 ratio, the vermiculite about 1/4 and the castings and sand about 1/8. Is this a good soil mix?

2. I top the plants off with mulch since they're outside on my balcony and I'm not too keen on getting anything foreign blowing into my soil. Is that a good idea?

3. I water about once weekly with fish/kelp fertilizers (CCN's brands) with the recommended dosages. Anything to change here?

4. For the ones I have planted, I have three of each plant in a single 16" planter, and plan on doing the same but 4 of the scorpion, DT and NM in a single 16" pot. I notice that most people have a single plant per pot, and not very large pots at that. I've never done that, should I?

Here's a picture of the setup as it is right now (they have only been planted since this past Thursday, aka, 3-4 days). I'm open to any suggestions that you guys can give me because I want to see serious growth this year because every year I improve, but yet nothing comes close to the stuff I've seen on here. You guys are growing trees in comparison to what I've been yielding. Any suggestions are fully welcomed!

Here's a full family shot:
img2131b.jpg

Bhuts:
img2123s.jpg

Fatilii:
img2124m.jpg

Red Savina:
img2125kc.jpg

Dave..

I have limited knowledge compared to most guys on here, but my first thought is one plant per pot........you may have to snip off the two weakest plants in each pot as they grow...I think one strong plant will produce better than three competing in a pot that size. Control bugs, I use dish soap and water since I'm watching plants daily. Don't over water and don't over fertilize..

Best of luck!!

PS...I now your growing these Super Hots to challenge/torture your buddies lol !!

bossman9 said:
BTW...what kind of exposure will those plants have?

They only get afternoon sunlight, although I do have a porch light that I've been considering modding to house a CFL to give them a bit more since there's a huge ass tree in the way.

So you would say that it would be most beneficial to kill off the two weakest ones? For the incoming plants then (a total of 12, 4 each trinidad scorpion, naga morich and devil's tongue), I should just do one per pot? I've always done multiple per pot, so maybe that's why I'm not getting the best results. If that's the case, what's the easiest way to make sure I kill off the plants? Try to uproot them now before they've been in the soil for that long, or is there a better method?

Please don't do anything yet since there are a lot more experienced growers on this forum than I am. Normally people who grow from seed may plant two or three seeds when germinating and then snip the weakest ones to let the "strongest one" live....but since you already purchased seedlings for transplant, I'm not sure....

How many hours of natural sunlight in the afternoon? I don't think a CFL is going to help at all as these guys grow.

You may be able to separate the plants into single pots since you've only recently planted them....but PLEASE wait for more advice...

I think your exposure may be a bigger concern...

Hmm, if I do separate, I cannot imagine having 30 separate pots on my patio, so if that's the route I have to take, then I'm definitely sacrificing some of them.

That exposure sounds good...wait for some replies on the a:leave the plants three to a pot or b: separate them now....

BTW..thumbs up to the fish/seaweed

Examine plants daily for aphids, etc...

Best of luck...study hard.....Bossman

Not a big fan of leaving the bottoms on that type of pot either..again wait for more replies...I used that type of pot before and removed the bottom (should snap off) for better drainage....

pvaudio said:
Hmm, if I do separate, I cannot imagine having 30 separate pots on my patio, so if that's the route I have to take, then I'm definitely sacrificing some of them.

Get a friend into the growing experience.........donate a few to your buddies...

My reco is lay off any nutrient application from now on and just give water as required for the next 3 months.

Hey welcome to the forum!!!! Lots of great wisdom and ideas here. For limited space you might want to move to hydro. Check this thread out for a little idea on hydro for beginners http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthr...-first-steps.-New-here-and-to-growing-peppers . As for the planting more then one plant per pot, I do not do this for many of my fruits or vegetables. They will have to fight for nutrients, root room, and sun/light. Also they will suck down water. Another thing you might want to think about is up-potting instead of placing your plants right in there full season pot here is a quote on this subject
Matt Berry said:
1 gallon pot as a final pot size is not a good idea. Yes it will grow and yes you will get peppers, but your plants will be stunted. You also wont get very good yields from them. At a bare minimum I would go with a 2.5 gallon pot, with 5 gallon being a way better choice. From there you can go to a 7 gallon or larger container or stay with the 5 gallon container.

Potting up in stages is a very good idea. I go from 4" - 6" - 2.5 gallon - 5 gallon, of course you could always go from the 6" straight to the final spot too. The reason it is a good idea is the plant has more of a tendency to dry out where the roots are, while the rest of the soil may still be a bit soggy, which is not very good growing conditions for the peppers. Another reason is it helps to increase root density in the soil.
Also with up potting i have noticed stronger and more dense root systems.
The mulch is a good idea. I do this to help retain moisture and warmth.
On to the soil... I am by no means a pro but it looks good to me. You might want to get a soil testing kit.. test your soil and the ph of your water (with ferts in it).
Your plants look really good and i could not bring my self to killing any of them so i would try to remove all but one per pot and replant them. As for the space problem i like Bossmans idea get a friend involved with you and donate his first crop to him :) .
Well i hope this was helpful, Keep the good work AND have fun!!!

Urdoneby said:
Hey welcome to the forum!!!! Lots of great wisdom and ideas here. For limited space you might want to move to hydro. Check this thread out for a little idea on hydro for beginners http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthr...-first-steps.-New-here-and-to-growing-peppers . As for the planting more then one plant per pot, I do not do this for many of my fruits or vegetables. They will have to fight for nutrients, root room, and sun/light. Also they will suck down water. Another thing you might want to think about is up-potting instead of placing your plants right in there full season pot here is a quote on this subject
Also with up potting i have noticed stronger and more dense root systems.
The mulch is a good idea. I do this to help retain moisture and warmth.
On to the soil... I am by no means a pro but it looks good to me. You might want to get a soil testing kit.. test your soil and the ph of your water (with ferts in it).
Your plants look really good and i could not bring my self to killing any of them so i would try to remove all but one per pot and replant them. As for the space problem i like Bossmans idea get a friend involved with you and donate his first crop to him :) .
Well i hope this was helpful, Keep the good work AND have fun!!!
Ahh! Glad I asked because I still have 12 more plants on the way and there's no way in hell I can grow them all individually! Do you think that if I just keep up with the water and nutrient supply constantly that they'll reach full potential, or should i just admit that I'm a clot and pot the best ones individually?

One plant per pot is probably the best chance you'll have of getting a better harvest. I tried multiple plants per pot with a couple of varieties last year for the first time and none of them produced as many pods as the one plant per pot.

Hate to see you kill any plants though. Have a big give away in the dorms or something. Surely you can find a few fellow students who will take them. Does your school have a botany class? Donate them to those folks.

Best of luck to you. pvaudio.

They're in 16" pots each right now, if I transplant, what size pot should I go down to? I'd probably just end up re-using the soil in the pots already since there's no way they've taken all of the nutrients from the lower 2/3s of the soil yet.

For the best potential you would need to up them to a raised garden bed but as i have read you are growing on a balcony/patio so that wont work. I think honestly i would maybe move to a lil bigger pot and ride this season out and learn as much as i can before i start next season. If I did decide to repot them all to there own pot (mind you i dont know your root system) i would go to a 1 gallon then move them to a 5 gallon when they are ready. Good luck and beautiful plants btw please keep us posted on what you decide to do and also picture as your babies grow is always nice :)

That's what I'm thinking about doing. I'll take the two strongest from each and put them in a leftover planter from the local nursery. I've seen guys on here with huge plants growing out of containers that size, so I think I'll try that first (next week). Uprooting them will likely stress them a bit, so should i give them a mild seaweed soak before doing so? I'll try to get some bat guano when I go to the nursery as well to get some added nutrients. The container size I'm referring to is this:

IMG_1525.jpg

from Fade's grow log. I've never had a plant anywhere NEAR that size, and I could easily fit 18 of those on my balcony (2 each for each variety that I have). Does that sound like a good plan?

Dave..although you may be able to fit that many pots out there, I think you'd be asking for a lot of trouble...the plants are going to branch and need circulation of air. They'll need a lot more area than just the pot size..... realistically I'd say 6 plants (or 12 ..two in a pot) on that balcony.....

BTW...I like the idea of donating to the Botany class with a stipulation of getting to chose your pods from harvest

Back