• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HM01 2016

Where the hell is this year going?! It's the 25th already? Good gravy. I should probably get some seeds going. Here's what's going in the dirt today:

1.) Bonda ma Jaques
2.) Fatalii orange
3.) Habanero Antillais Caribbean
4.) Habanero giant chocolate
5.) Mako akoksrade
6.) Peach Congo
7.) PI 281317
8.) Scotch bonnet elysium oxide
9.) Scotch bonnet Foodarama red
10.) Scotch bonnet MOA
11.) Scotch bonnet P. Dreadie
12.) Scotch bonnet TFM
13.) Scotch bonnet x Brain
14.) 7pot burgundy
15.) 7pot Primo orange
16.) Bhut orange Copenhagen
17.) Burmese Naga

I decided to go easy on the OWs this year, so I only kept four from previous seasons. I have a wild Brazil (5 gal), a Bahamian goat (7.5 gal) and a fatalii x Red Savina :drooling: (7.5 gal) all from last year and one TS CARDI (7.5 gal) from two years ago. The CARDI buried me in pods last season - even in its small pot, it produced enough fruit to fill about 6 MFRBs. Deciding whether to pot it up (~20 gal) or stick it in a raised bed is going to be tough this spring! 
     I'm gonna go plant some stuff. I'll be back here in a minute. I know the drill - no pics, blah blah blah...
     Wohoo! The 2016 season starts here! :dance:

Thanks for reminding me I have a glog, OK! This update isn't going to be a complete one by any means. I just ran out to quickly take a couple of pics before dinner. I'll try to get something more detailed up soon.

Here's my aji Peruvian. Lots of pods all of a sudden!
OYcgm5D.jpg

This is my elysium oxide bonnet, dark pheno.
0CyXRga.jpg

...and my obligatory branch structure pic of the same plant.
tCJB8fq.jpg

fatalii x Red Savina OW - complete with a garden gnome my wife knitted for me  :party:
4eRWr8Y.jpg

Bahamian goat pods! OW plant
hceva0q.jpg

Jalapeños. I think these are NuMex Vaqueros.
Lo7QaVp.jpg

Orange Fatalii and goatsweed
Dy89Ra9.jpg

Rocopica
nQedLcK.jpg

Peru Bitdumi
v1cNpkK.jpg

Wild Brazil OW. I'm really not looking forward to picking pods off this plant...
AjHIs7E.jpg

Stems growing all wacky
BPTamR5.jpg

Obligatory "bottle of Miller Lite standing next to a bigass stem" pic. This is a TS CARDI in its third year.
SilYWyZ.jpg

This bed has most of my annuums in it.
EpnP7Oa.jpg

These are my in-ground chinenses, with two rows of okra in the back.
aEacBCQ.jpg

And the obligatory "mailman cam" pic. 
N3FFVfs.jpg

I'll try (harder lol) to get a better update in the days to come. It's easier to ID plants after they all start to pod up. At this point, I still have to use the map I drew up when I planted. No time for that tonight - I've got beer to drink!

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
Plants are looking great :clap:

won't be long now till you have lots of pods :dance:

looking forward to more updates

Thanks, buddy! I was out adding a couple of garbage cans of compost on each bed this afternoon and noticed a LOT of new pods that weren't noticeable during this ^ update. So I guess you were right!  :cheers:

az1000 said:
Great looking plants!
Nice Peru Bitdumi pods you have ,I don't have any of these
Cheers

Thanks! If I remember right, your grow is almost exclusively C. pubescens this year, right? I remember thinking while reading your glog that you ought to try Peru Bitdumis. They are a really robust variety that will set fruit in almost any weather conditions. I grew them last season and they were the only pube I had any luck with. 
     They were my first variety to set pods this season, so it won't be long before I have some ripe ones to take seeds from. If you want, I could send you a bunch (OP), and whatever other pubes (or whatever) you want. Let me know. 

bpiela said:
Just fantastic pics.  That Wild Brazil OW is phenomenal.

Thank you! That thing had the most beautiful, graceful form of any pepper I've grown in it's first season and it seems to be keeping the same habit this season.  :party: I'm going to grow it out for a few more seasons - until the stem is a good 3", and then bonchi it. Perfect candidate. 
     I need to check out your glog to see how your plants have recovered from your (too) early start. I hope they made it to plant out and are doing well in their new homes! 

itsy said:
Loving those nice trichs in the back too. Very nice photos and grow 

Thanks! I've had those cacti growing since about 2006. There's another thread solely dedicated to cacti in the "growing other" forum you should check out.
     And welcome to THP! I couldn't find the "Welcome" emoticon, so... Here's a bong and some hot sauce!  :high:  :hotsauce:

GhostPepperz said:
Save big money at menaaarrrrdddsss

:D (  < Menards guy)

;)

tctenten said:
Real nice job. That Wild Brazil looks perfect.

Thanks, Terry. I'l get some pics of it out in the sunlight in my next update. I've never seen that exact shade of green before...  :shocked:  Thanks for stopping by!

I have a nice Peru Bitdumi plant but I don't have pods .
Flowered a few weeks ago but not set pods.
Thanks for your offer! If you like some varieties from my grow please tell me!

moruga welder said:
really nice grow my friend ! 

Thank you!

az1000 said:
I have a nice Peru Bitdumi plant but I don't have pods .
Flowered a few weeks ago but not set pods.
Thanks for your offer! If you like some varieties from my grow please tell me!

Hopefully your PB has set a few pods since we were here last. I need to check out your glog and see how your grow is going. I like your plant selection!

The plants are really starting to take off this season. I've lost a few due to storms and the BLS is putting a hurting on a few others, but all in all things are looking pretty green around here!

Here's one of my elysium oxides. Really gangly growth habit, but still just loaded with pods.
5kcEoBD.jpg

I think this is an orange fatalii.
VHNQtKb.jpg

Fatalii x Red Savina OW. Bigger, more uniform pods than last season. I hope they still taste good. One of my all-time favorites!  :drooling:
gDUkiOj.jpg

I have absolutely no idea what this plant is.
lXH95Zh.jpg

...or this one.
XMGiaGl.jpg

Here's my overgrown chinense / okra bed. Can you see the hole where my MOA used to be? The one that was snapped off in a storm and thrown across the yard like a tumbleweed? I can! 
87vIRkZ.jpg

Here's both pepper beds. The one on the right is mostly annuums except for a bigass CARDI and an aji amarillo in the back.
Art0JjX.jpg

Closeup of the bigass CARDI.
p6YNkUb.jpg

I also dug my garlic a few weeks ago. 
yACZco7.jpg

Pods seem to be taking their time ripening this season, so there's not much to show yet. Once colors start to change, expect more updates!

tctenten said:
Nice sized garlic. What variety are they? I am starting to look at what I want to order for next year.

Thanks. The varieties are (clockwise from upper left) Chesnok red, German red, Polish Jenn and Music. I've grown Music before and really like its flavor. Great producer as well. German red is also good - a bit stronger than Music and not quite as sweet. My wife made some pasta for lunch today with some roasted Chesnok red, diced saladette tomatoes and cheese. It seems to have a very pungent flavor - even more so than most soft neck varieties I've had. Really strong, but excellent flavor. We'll be trying the Polish Jenn in the days to come.

Your garden is looking Awesome Mo!  :dance:

I'm just gonna throw a wild guess out on the first "No idea" plant. BOC??

And you know I can't go without saying how beautiful that Goatsweed plant is. Mad respect for proper topping, and making it bushy! Sooooo silvery n' fuzzy, I just want to cuddle with it..Eeehhh emmm Uh yea, I really like Goatsweed plants. They are really cool.

hogleg said:
Your garden is looking Awesome Mo!  :dance:

I'm just gonna throw a wild guess out on the first "No idea" plant. BOC??

And you know I can't go without saying how beautiful that Goatsweed plant is. Mad respect for proper topping, and making it bushy! Sooooo silvery n' fuzzy, I just want to cuddle with it..Eeehhh emmm Uh yea, I really like Goatsweed plants. They are really cool.

Topped plants?! BLASPHEMY! Never use that word around an arborist! Topping a plant is like trout fishing with dynamite or putting sugar in your gas tank. Just. Not. Right. But, yeah, really great variety that will always have a spot in my garden!  :cheers: I love petting that one.
     As for the other unidentified one, I don't think it's a BOC. I don't think I got any of those to germinate this year. I could be wrong though. I need to look for my list harder. It really does look like a BOC though, doesn't it?  :think:

So I cut up one of those F x RS pods an put it on a hotdog for dinner tonight. That was  :hot:! That thing just tore my head off! Way, WAY hotter than any pod that plant produced last season. I guess I should've known better - I ripped a green one open that got knocked off in a storm a week ago and it was loaded with orange capsaicin drops inside. 
     Has anyone experienced a plant that changed like this from one season to the next? That just doesn't seem right to me. It tasted pretty much the same, but good god, that pod was easily three times hotter than anything that plant produced last season.  I ate it a half hour ago and my ears are still popping. 
     Anybody want to try some as soon as I can fill a SFRB? 

Yours looks better than mine I think.  Most of yours look really loaded with nice size pods already.  I have some that just set a ton in the last week, but the first waves at most are like 20 pods.  I do have some varieties with over 100 but no where near like last year for me.  Bad start to the season.  That dark EOB is very unusual looking.  Wonder what it crossed with.  Definitely does not look like what I had last year.  Mine this year is also a cross.  Looks kinda moruga shaped.  Disappointed not to have the true EOB as its a great pepper, but I guess there's next year.  This one does have me so curious to see what comes of it.  I have several plants this year that aren't true but look like they could be better than the real.  Some from my own seeds and many from others.  Good luck with your grow, try to stay cool.  I was just outside and damn its sticky out there.

jcw10tc said:
Yours looks better than mine I think.  Most of yours look really loaded with nice size pods already.  I have some that just set a ton in the last week, but the first waves at most are like 20 pods.  I do have some varieties with over 100 but no where near like last year for me.  Bad start to the season.  That dark EOB is very unusual looking.  Wonder what it crossed with.  Definitely does not look like what I had last year.  Mine this year is also a cross.  Looks kinda moruga shaped.  Disappointed not to have the true EOB as its a great pepper, but I guess there's next year.  This one does have me so curious to see what comes of it.  I have several plants this year that aren't true but look like they could be better than the real.  Some from my own seeds and many from others.  Good luck with your grow, try to stay cool.  I was just outside and damn its sticky out there.

I have two EO plants. Besides the big red one, I also have one that's all green and about half as tall. I'm really curious to compare the two once they have ripe pods. If one or the other throw correct pheno pods, I'd be more than willing to send you a sampling so you can get your fix. 
     And by the way, the plants I took pics of look good, for sure, but there are a lot of plants that are more horizontal than upright and more BLS than green. I tend to not take pics of those.  :scared:  :whistle:  :shh:
     A way she goes, tho. If it's not drought around here, it's branch snapping, BLS inducing storms! I can't complain, though. I have a feeling I'm going to have too many pods again this season!

Great results ya got there Mo! Looks like the bird that topped your Goat's Weed did ya a favor awhile back. It's been such a hot, dry summer that I think we're all gonna see more capsaicin production this year. Keep up the good work!

Back