• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HM01 2016

Where the hell is this year going?! It's the 25th already? Good gravy. I should probably get some seeds going. Here's what's going in the dirt today:

1.) Bonda ma Jaques
2.) Fatalii orange
3.) Habanero Antillais Caribbean
4.) Habanero giant chocolate
5.) Mako akoksrade
6.) Peach Congo
7.) PI 281317
8.) Scotch bonnet elysium oxide
9.) Scotch bonnet Foodarama red
10.) Scotch bonnet MOA
11.) Scotch bonnet P. Dreadie
12.) Scotch bonnet TFM
13.) Scotch bonnet x Brain
14.) 7pot burgundy
15.) 7pot Primo orange
16.) Bhut orange Copenhagen
17.) Burmese Naga

I decided to go easy on the OWs this year, so I only kept four from previous seasons. I have a wild Brazil (5 gal), a Bahamian goat (7.5 gal) and a fatalii x Red Savina :drooling: (7.5 gal) all from last year and one TS CARDI (7.5 gal) from two years ago. The CARDI buried me in pods last season - even in its small pot, it produced enough fruit to fill about 6 MFRBs. Deciding whether to pot it up (~20 gal) or stick it in a raised bed is going to be tough this spring! 
     I'm gonna go plant some stuff. I'll be back here in a minute. I know the drill - no pics, blah blah blah...
     Wohoo! The 2016 season starts here! :dance:

Everything looks killer, but the tree trunk on that TS CARDI is MEAN! :shocked: I guess that's life when your have that many pods to hold up and a sleeping gnome in your canopy.  Congrats, all your plants look loaded! :cheers:

How did I miss this fantastic glog before today! You're simply killing it!

Ha! Those southern folk got nothing on what we can do up here!
 And you got that right! No way I can compete with the yields you guys are getting up North. I have to plant 30 to your 10, just to come close. I think I called the wife over 3 times, "just look at this shit!"  She said "so you want to move North?" Hell no. but damn! I couldn't tell you how many years I've been working my "sand" to equal what you have there...LOL

Just a great grow! Enjoy the harvest!

Sorry to see that snapped stem on the EOB. :confused:  I had the same thing happen to me with a Poblano plant that was loaded with pods when a squall popped up. Since then I always stake my chiles. Thanks for the offer of Chimayo molido... I still have a couple of bags of whole Chimayo pods from last year to compare it with, so that would be very cool!

I'm lovin' the pics of your ripening chiles... Dude, you're just crushing it this year! Keep up the good great work!

DesertRoots said:
Everything looks killer, but the tree trunk on that TS CARDI is MEAN! :shocked: I guess that's life when your have that many pods to hold up and a sleeping gnome in your canopy.  Congrats, all your plants look loaded! :cheers:

:rofl: Yup. The stem supports the pods and the gnome guards them from aphids and neighbor kids. He's right at the top of my garden's food chain along with me and the praying mantises. As shown in this pic, ladybugs are a close second. I was out picking today and I started noticing a lot of stinkbug younguns.  :mad: Then I saw this beautiful sight:
2ZDEVPM.jpg

All I gotta say is  :cool: .

Lovepeppers said:
I dont see no setback on your behalf, but i do see alot of work of picking pods for days and days.
Good job, boy are your plants happy!

Thank you! I'm doing what I can trying to keep up on making it look good. You're definitely seeing the winning plants here. lol This season has been half wind tunnel and half petri dish. They're not all worthy of picture documentation. 
     But I definitely appreciate your compliments!

Devv said:
How did I miss this fantastic glog before today! You're simply killing it!

And you got that right! No way I can compete with the yields you guys are getting up North. I have to plant 30 to your 10, just to come close. I think I called the wife over 3 times, "just look at this shit!"  She said "so you want to move North?" Hell no. but damn! I couldn't tell you how many years I've been working my "sand" to equal what you have there...LOL

Just a great grow! Enjoy the harvest!

It's easy to miss my glog sometimes. I tend to not update a whole lot when not much is going on. Now that I've got some color to take pics of, its ON!  :dance:
     Yeah, a few of my plants are really going nuts this season! Aside from a disastrous start, this season has seen a lot of things come together gardening-wise for me. My container plants, especially have seen improvement. Back in 2012 I grew two habs in 5 gallon buckets. By the end of the season, their stems were like green pencils and I maybe got a dozen pods of the two of them. My growing skills have come a long way since I showed up here.
     The long, favorable (most of the time  :banghead: ) growing season we have just lets plants grow and grow. And the soil is just surreal. When I put in my raised beds, I triple dug each one down over 2.5'. I didn't find any hardpan or even one rock. Just pure, black, well-structured loam. And it goes down at least 12' deeper than I dug.  :shocked: It's unbelievable. 

stickman said:
Sorry to see that snapped stem on the EOB. :confused:  I had the same thing happen to me with a Poblano plant that was loaded with pods when a squall popped up. Since then I always stake my chiles. Thanks for the offer of Chimayo molido... I still have a couple of bags of whole Chimayo pods from last year to compare it with, so that would be very cool!

I'm lovin' the pics of your ripening chiles... Dude, you're just crushing it this year! Keep up the good great work!

Thanks, Rick. That snapped EOB broke my heart to see. But it's really no big deal. I'm going to stake  :clap: the stem that's left and it should be fine. Aside from the big tear-out, there's no damage to the main stem. It won't produce much more this season, but it'll bush out and I'll OW it. It ought to end up with really good form. Also the pods taste great!
     That sucks about your poblano. At least they're still useful green! 

Thanks for stopping by everybody. Have a good rest of the weekend!

Back