• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Holy Crap - Explosion in the Kitchen

If i'm not mistaken, nearly all fruits & veggies have natural sugars, don't they?

(ok, tomatos are technically a fruit..and can be very sweet at times)

wordwiz you're using 10 year old ketchup? Commercially made ketchup has expiration dates no where near that long. Be careful guy.

Best of luck to you.

I picked this up from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-8180304...7?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1222621977&sr=8-7 and when I opened the box it had all of the pictured accessories but it also contained a pressure cooker. Quite freaking surprised let me tell you. The price was as advertised. I've been wondering if I got shipped the wrong item.

Patrick,

I would say you made out like a bandit! I would pay $24 for all that stuff in a heartbeat!

I add the ketchup (or maybe a better term is tomato based spicy sauce) to chili, meatloaf and soups. They all cook at very high temps, plus I smell the bottles before I add anything to the mix.

Dad canned some ketchup once and about 20 years later, there was one quart (in a beer bottle) left. My son devoured it.

I only have 10 years to go to match him!

Mike

Little bit yes.

I grew up watching my folks do this every year. We lived off of our garden during the summer and what we couldn't eat was canned. I do recall a mason jar or two exploding and leaving a mess. Don't ever remember hearing about pH testing but I do remember listening to the steam escaping.

One new thing I plan to do this year - can potatoes. Last year, I harvested about 75 pounds from about 36 linear feet. They were getting soft by the time we used them up. This year, I have about 65 linear feet to harvest and they appear to be slightly larger plants than last year. So besides giving some away, I might as well can a couple dozen quarts. Probably cannot drain and make French Fries from them, but they will be great in soups, stews or fried.

Mike

I always canned the small potatoes, too little to mess with, makes a tasty addition to a meal. In the middle of winter tastes just like fresh dug ones...yummmm!

65 linear feet--that's a lot of spuds.

I love the little new potatoes. Go dig up a hill, boil a few pounds and stick 'em in the fridge. When ever you wanted some fried taters you just cut a few in half, heat the oil, season as you like and it was eating time. Good eating time.

I had that happen once when I was making some wine. The room where the bottle was to warm, and the bottle was over filled, that could have made the big bang theory happen in you kitchen. There could have been a slight amount of bacteria that was still alive in your bottle. Making gas and making the bottle expand until it exploded.

Yeah... ...you don't need hot stuff to make a mess.
A few years ago in my old hometown someone left a Tetra Pack of milk in a meals on wheels car over a really hot summer weekend. Kawoom! I'm not sure if I would prefer to clean that car or to take a shot of tear gas...

I had a kind of explosion in the hallway of my flat years and years ago. I don't know if you have Frubes in America but they're like Fromais Frais/yogurt in flimsy plastic tubes for kids, you just cut the top of it and they suck it out. Well a two year old thought it would be hilarious to shake this open Frube packet violently in my hallway, which also plastered parts of the kitchen, bathroom and lounge. Not funny, even when I moved out I found a large splodge of it behind the clock.

Back