• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Homemade Spam

Add lots of garlic powder and you just made rustic bologna.

Try it as cold cut with cheddar. I'd be curious there. But it's prob too loose packed to slice good.

The Hot Pepper said:
But it's prob too loose packed to slice good.
Did you see the CI weights he put on it? It is nicely compressed.

Guaranteed!

Same thing I do for Roast Beef we want to slice on the slicer, deli thin.

Eggs tho... Yep. I'd eat three of those breakfastseses

It's funny that some people get weirded out by this.

If you layered a few garnishes in there, then served it with some mustard and cornichons and called it a terrine de porc, or pâté grand-mère...people would would be much more accepting of it.

Good on you for experimenting.
If you want to dive deeper into this, do a little reading on French charcuterie.
Start with the cooked stuff: pâtés, terrines, confit, rillettes...

Rajun Gardener said:
I like to play in the kitchen. 

Grant we have headcheese here too, most stores make their own and some are better than others but it's all good.

Leave me out of this ...

Ashen said:
Looks good to me but I grew up eating musetto and headcheese. Growing up Italian this whole eating head to tail thing was just called eating .

... and this ...

Rajun Gardener said:
You have to try everything at least once is what I was thinking. That and a few cocktails makes life fun but I see your point.

Hael no.

Scoville DeVille said:
I'm talking about Head Cheese.

:shocked:

The Hot Pepper said:
It would look a whole lot better and prob taste better than that pink slice ...

#pink #slices #matter

Rajun Gardener said:
I'm gonna fry some for breakfast with fresh country eggs. It can't be worse than anything you buy at fast food restaurants.

Goals.

Rajun Gardener said:
Now you're getting the point, we might invent the next canned food to save the world and it can be served in gourmet restaurants.

To that end, it would probably be more effective to just leave out the pink salt ...

I took them out of the fridge, scraped off the little fat and sliced it up. It did make a nice natural gelatin. I'm eating breakfast and I have to say it tastes better than the canned stuff.
20170205_073234.jpg

20170205_074642.jpg

I found that recipe and saved it about a month ago....yours looks excellent!!

Nice pics, will be doing this myself in the near future. thanks for the post :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbIZDb998wI

Jubnat said:
It's funny that some people get weirded out by this.

If you layered a few garnishes in there, then served it with some mustard and cornichons and called it a terrine de porc, or pâté grand-mère...people would would be much more accepting of it.

Good on you for experimenting.
If you want to dive deeper into this, do a little reading on French charcuterie.
Start with the cooked stuff: pâtés, terrines, confit, rillettes...

I might try that French Salami. I also think if I added some Boscoli Italian olive salad mix to a Mortadella recipe it would be a ready made muffalatta.

lol, SPAM is so ingrained in the mind that its hard to think of making some thats healthy with all the crap thats in it, never ate it as a kid. Good to see theirs a healthy version you got their. SPAM Jam is still a yearly event I understand.

Back