• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Hot Pot Japan Style

JayT said:
too much words, not enough hot pot

Just for your JayT!

Here's another "hotpot". This time we have Chicken Sukiyaki! We really need to get a proper sukiyaki plate though lol.

10502559_343822099151747_915875004_n.jpg

Eaten in a raw egg dip. Only fresh eggs mind you!

10954733_902417619789107_1069433514_n.jpg

Topping off with more veggies, chicken, and chicken offal! NOM NOM NOM!

10903317_1686657468227510_1473794814_n.jpg

That's useful info, because I use the bean thread noodles to avoid the grains, and it sounds like you've given me a new option perhaps ... sweet!
Taking advice from the thread ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422837113.869124.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422837200.938058.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422837247.841857.jpg

... and some red & white miso etc!

Going to be having a lot of soup while it's still cool enough!

grantmichaels said:
That's useful info, because I use the bean thread noodles to avoid the grains, and it sounds like you've given me a new option perhaps ... sweet!
Taking advice from the thread ;)

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422837113.869124.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422837200.938058.jpg

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422837247.841857.jpg

... and some red & white miso etc!

Going to be having a lot of soup while it's still cool enough!

That is a lot of stuff you bought there! lol

A little bit goes a long way haha. With the soba soup concentrate, you don't have to mix it with the ratio that they tell you to, but it does help to start with it.

With the katsuobushi, you'll want to pair it with kombu (kelp). And it makes for a nice light dashi.

For the mirin, or in your case, "like mirin" is what that label says. You could pair that with soy sauce and ginger to make a nice marinade for meat. We often use that combo with garlic when marinating chicken to make karaage (fried chicken chunks essentially)
Also for what it's worth, if in the future you want to get true mirin, it is called Hon-Mirin (本みりん). You might have to change encoding to see those characters, not sure.

I'm dooling here! :drooling:  Havent done hotpot cooking in awhile. Anything with tofu and miso is awesome! Baby bok choy in it to boot and wow. A little off the subject but, thinking of miso, have you tried grill miso chicken? That is off the hook! That with the hotpot...

I'm dooling here! :drooling:  Havent done hotpot cooking in awhile. Anything with tofu and miso is awesome! Baby bok choy in it to boot and wow. A little off the subject but, thinking of miso, have you tried grill miso chicken? That is off the hook! That with the hotpot...

We make miso pan fried chicken that we call yakiniku chicken. Wrap it up with romaine lettuce and thai basil. So yummy!

You had me with that hot pot Filmost, right up to the unborn chicken embryo.  Leave that out and I would love it.  I think I may have an addition  to this thread tonight.  I have been meaning to make my edition of hot and sour soup.  I'll let you name it after you see it.

JayT said:
You had me with that hot pot Filmost, right up to the unborn chicken embryo.  Leave that out and I would love it.  I think I may have an addition  to this thread tonight.  I have been meaning to make my edition of hot and sour soup.  I'll let you name it after you see it.

You mean the egg that's not yet an egg? :-D

Looking forward to yours sir! Post it on up!

I was surprised to find that the shirataki I ordered (sold as Miracle Noodle, made from konnyako imo) arrived in a liquid/brine ...

That said, the instructions play nicely w/ my tea apparatus (Zojirushi), and it says to just rinse and blanch in under a minute, then dry and use ...

They have no fat, cholesterol, or NaCl, and only trace carbs, which is awesome ...

Thanks for sharing! I hope they are edible =)

I was surprised to find that the shirataki I ordered (sold as Miracle Noodle, made from konnyako imo) arrived in a liquid/brine ...

That said, the instructions play nicely w/ my tea apparatus (Zojirushi), and it says to just rinse and blanch in under a minute, then dry and use ...

They have no fat, cholesterol, or NaCl, and only trace carbs, which is awesome ...

Thanks for sharing! I hope they are edible =)

It is supposed to be stored in brine. It's not a dry noodle. ;-)

Just to be clear - I was surprised by the weight of the package, not surprised as in disappointed ... sorry if that was vague or came across otherwise ...

Just to be clear - I was surprised by the weight of the package, not surprised as in disappointed ... sorry if that was vague or came across otherwise ...

Haha no I understood. No worries mate. They are very different, so it's not surprising that peeps be surprised lol. Man that was a weird sentence to type. Here in Japan, lots of places just have them sitting in buckets of brine Haha.

Is this a normal appearance for kombu?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423694252.752504.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423694262.154859.jpg

I've never worked w/ it before, but would like to launch on my healthy Asian soup journey - possibly tonight, even ...

Thanks in advance for any input!

Because of the way I like to post (frequency/behavior), I'm putting the Asian stuff in my old thread:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/38863-far-east-heat/

Cheers!

Is this a normal appearance for kombu?

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423694252.752504.jpg

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423694262.154859.jpg

I've never worked w/ it before, but would like to launch on my healthy Asian soup journey - possibly tonight, even ...

Thanks in advance for any input!

Because of the way I like to post (frequency/behavior), I'm putting the Asian stuff in my old thread:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/38863-far-east-heat/

Cheers!

Yes that is dashi konbu. You are good yo go.

Back